Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bushcraft Club thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

neolithic wrote: »
    Thanks RICHIE, Drop us a line and we will let you know when the meets are happening

Cheers Neolithic where will I get the contact numbers? And do ye do much around westmeath / Roscommon at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭neolithic

RICHIE,
    E-mail the Club at thebushcraftclub@gmail.com and I will send you on details.
    We travel to different places ,Our main site is in Cavan but we have acquired a new site on the Galway/ Offaly border.
    http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bowe

neolithic wrote: »
    RICHIE,
    E-mail the Club at thebushcraftclub@gmail.com and I will send you on details.
    We travel to different places ,Our main site is in Cavan but we have acquired a new site on the Galway/ Offaly border.
    http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=18

Great posts and photos indeed. I'm based in Laois and would be very interestetd to join this club to learn more. I have already sent a mail to the club and would be interested to attend the next meet. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

can i just ask what goes into the backpack for a weekend bush crafting
    if i was cycle touring i would know exactly what to bring but your game is much different so i'm dead curious as to know what would be the proper kit
    thanks.;).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

The weather was good to us this weekend. The sun shone for the majority of it and at night the moon lit the forest in an eerie light that had us wondering who had left a head torch on. Day time temperatures were mild and drop sharply in the evening. Our task for the weekend was to construct some primitive traps of different varity and for different prey. These traps were not deployed or used in any way during the weekend other than for demonstration and practice. No animal or person for that matter was subjected to them. Although the thought of having someone upside-down dangling from a tree had crossed my mind.

Each one of us took on the task of constructing a different trap either from memory or a book that could be used in a wilderness setting.

One of my favourites is the Arpuca trap mainly because it is a live trap and allows you to release the bird unharmed. Good for practicing what baits work for which birds.

P1010127.jpg

Jim went for a twitch-up snare. The trigger was cool and I personally hadnt seen that type of trigger used before.

P1010121.jpg

Kevins one which was interesting because it required no carving. Great for when you wouldn't have a knife to hand but still had some cordage, like a boot lace.

P1010131.jpg

Tony went for the more traditional twitch-up, with notched triggers.

PB120137.jpg

Andrew had a go copying the Arpuca but using scavanged cord instead of making some. Initially we thought he stripped someones car for the wire but he assured us he didn't :-) He proved a good point, the material to hand is more valuable, rather than having to make it.

PB120135.jpg

Another few tricks in the bag and cups of tea in the belly. The weather is certainly getting colder but debates about snow this year was on the topic list. Our next meeting is in December but is only open to current members. January will be our next meeting open to new members.

• Advertisement

can i just ask what goes into the backpack for a weekend bush crafting
    if i was cycle touring i would know exactly what to bring but your game is much different so i'm dead curious as to know what would be the proper kit
    thanks.;).
    NO Takers then.:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

NO Takers then.:(

A good post and explanation here
    http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60498

Tabnabs wrote: »
    thanks for that very interesting except for the backpack and knives and axe i could go into the wild in the morning very similar to cycle touring.:cool:

Hey. Sorry about that I hadnt seen this post and wasnt online for a few days. My advise for anyone starting is not to buy anything specialized. Take out standard camping equipment and then just bring a knife as extra. Forgot axes and large saws until you know what you want to practice.

Anyone coming on club outtings for the first time is advised not to bring anything extra besides a knife of any kind. You can talk to members and see what they have when you arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jamesieboy

In the belief that you can never see too many fire lighting demonstrations here's a few pics taken of Tony getting the fire going at the last meet.

The fire source used was a magnesium tinder block and ferro rod. Spruce resin was used alongside the magnesium.

The first step was to shave a decent amount off the magnesium block.

a.jpg

Next he struck the ferro rod with the back of a knife

b.jpg

This produced sparks

c.jpg

As this was not the telly it took more than a single attempt for one of the sparks to ignite the tinder, but soon there was a small and consistent flame as the magnesium and spruce resin burned together. More than adequate to ignite a couple of stick bundles.

d.jpg

The end result was very helpful in allowing us to enjoy a November evening outdoors.

e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

What are you using for a base on the fire?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    What are you using for a base on the fire?

Hi tabnabs the base is a disc cut from the bottom of a beer keg, sitting on a bed of rocks. Normally this kind of setup is useful to help prevent ground fire, however this site is so wet and boggy that ground fire is not a worry. However the fire does have a tendency to sink downwards into the boggy earth once the ember bed is established, this in turn sucks moisture in from the base and sides and makes things altogether inefficient. So keeping the ember bed on a little platform like this helps prevent too much ground moisture messing with the fire.

Thanks jamesieboy, appreciate the response.

The last meet up of 2011 was a cold one but thankfully not as cold as we were expecting. The Christmas meet up always seems to result in people staying close to the fire and chatting rather than running around in the freezing rain. So it was a show and tell for us as people brought out their crafts and explained the process. Jim had just come back from a knife making course and had a lovely little neck knife, John had his deer hide and freshly ground knife with antler handle. Tricks and trinkets fell from everyones pockets as we sat and waited for the stew.

PC100137.jpg

PC100142.jpg

We traditionally cook up a community pot stew for the last meet of the year. With all kinds of everything and a can of stout for flavour. The weather was cold and showery but we have certainly had tougher weather in past years.

PC100140.jpg

Chris making a bow saw out of hazel

Its been another great year for the club and we've added some more great people to our members list. Our next meet up is in January and is open to people looking to join. Within the new year, we are going to be pressing personal development of members and up-ing the skill levels with more diverse activities. We have already started to talk about Scandanvia again and another potential trip to the Northern wilderness.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 deergrove

done it again lads yesterday after the meet used it today and it worked fine ... mortice and tennon joints done the trick.
    happy christmas everyone

Id say if the hazel was seasoned, it wouldnt have snapped like it did. Im gonna make one from ash over the christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 14 deergrove

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Woah didn't know this thread was here! Amazing stuff! Anything going on in Galway?

Doc Ruby:

E-mail the Club at thebushcraftclub@gmail.com and we'll send you on details.

http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/in...d=10&Itemid=18

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

jamesieboy wrote: »
    Doc Ruby:

E-mail the Club at thebushcraftclub@gmail.com and we'll send you on details.

http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/in...d=10&Itemid=18
    Cheers, but your link doesn't work...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭hick

Hey doc,

try this instead http://www.irishbushcraftclub.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 18 angland27

Happy New Year lads. Finished the sheath for the knife. Looking forward to hooking up with you all in the mounths to come.

Nice one, now you will have to tell how you made the knife and how the sheath was started at the last meet with basic tools. Beautiful job .
    T.

That is a lovely sheath Jon, I really like the image. Excellent stitching considering it was done with an awl and needle by the campfire :) I think the finish you got working on this sheath in the woods makes it an altogether nicer piece of work than it would have been if you'd done it in a workshop. Lovely stuff.
    Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Crapbag wrote: »
    Id say if the hazel was seasoned, it wouldnt have snapped like it did. Im gonna make one from ash over the christmas
    here is the one i made from ash. the pins and tensioner are beech. it is really nice to use. very light and nimble, with super tension on the blade.
    28604_1430837020465_1519073567_1108944_1570642_n.jpg

That is just fab. Was it fresh ash or seasoned. what size is the blade. Wont be able to make the meeting this mounth.

Going to meet a guy who is giving me 3 feet of railway line. I will be cutting it into foot long lengths. I plan on keeping 2 but if some one wants one. I think that they will make great anvils. Any one got thoughts on when we will have the forgeing weekend.

Not sure. Maybe February or when the weather gets better. I would like to do our normal meet aswell as this. Might have a go at cold forging first one first. You up next weekend?

angland27

I'll take the piece of track if it's still going.
    Check this out using re-bar http://www.sablade.com/forums/showthread.php?886-Rebar-knives-in-progress-photos some good information although from what I understand the quality of the steel in the re-bar may vary but if you can pick up some it can be good to practice on and you may get very good results.
    Either way there is some good information on forging.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar

irishlostboy,
    Tim , I really like the bow saw pictured (although I'm sure I've met the little fellow before in Cavan.) if you have any input on the forging we would be glad to hear it. Thanks
    T.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

hey guys. i have a piece of smaller guage railway, and it is pretty ok for using as an improv anvil. i also have a very large piece of I-beam. the i-beam is great, plenty strong enough for small things such as knives. the problem is the noise. I-beam rings like a bell when forging. and when i say bell, i mean the kind of bell they probably use to announce dinner time in guantanamo bay. lol. neighbours do not approve. i think if you could seat it in sand, and build the sand up the stem a good way, it might help.
    there are some awesome little anvils made from railway sleeper. just have a look about the netz.
    Railway_track_anvil_by_timjo.jpg
    if anyone has the tools/skills/interest to make up a few of these, i also have about 3 foot of railway track i will donate to the project. and moneys for all the grinding disks you would go through. lol.

regards my saw, it is 30" blade i think. it was done out of seasoned ash. i keep a nice stack of sticks in my utility room for making things from. these were waiting about 6 months with their bark peeled and ends taped to prevent splitting. was worked out with my mora. the lengths are very ovaled, to maximise strength and keep weight down. the joint is a simple blind mortice and tenon, not too deep. did them with a little hand operated whisk type drill and a cheap chisel. lines and measurement were roughed out with a bit of string. no fancy carpentry here. lol. the beech tensioner and pins were also carved from seasoned branches. beech is very hard when seasoned, so this was a pig. but the look lovely, and the pins are strong enough to hold up to blade tension. finished the lot with a blended cream of linseed oil, turps and beeswax. makes it just fine to use outdoors.
    i will bring it with me if i can get out to the next meet. super light and portable.

Advertisement