Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bushcraft Club thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 angland27

Crapbag wrote: »
    Not sure. Maybe February or when the weather gets better. I would like to do our normal meet aswell jas this. Might have a go at cold forging first one first. You up next weekend?

No on my course that weekend. Hopefully the next meet.

Up date on railway line. The guy who was getting me it said that he would give me 3 foot but gave me 6. So there are another 2 by foot long pieces if some one wants to call them. The only issue is that now I have to cut it. Have a big chop saw so will see how that works. Enjoy the week end.

neolithic wrote: »
    angland27

I'll take the piece of track if it's still going.
    Check this out using re-bar http://www.sablade.com/forums/showthread.php?886-Rebar-knives-in-progress-photos some good information although from what I understand the quality of the steel in the re-bar may vary but if you can pick up some it can be good to practice on and you may get very good results.
    Either way there is some good information on forging.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebar

irishlostboy,
    Tim , I really like the bow saw pictured (although I'm sure I've met the little fellow before in Cavan.) if you have any input on the forging we would be glad to hear it. Thanks
    T.

Have a 14" piece for you. It is heavy stuff. Took 40 min to cut. Will bring to the next meet I get to. J

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

We took full advantage of the mild January in Cavan. It was a weekend of construction and shelter practice. We also got some fire lighting practice and identification. My personal mission for the weekend was to sleep without any of the modern trapping bar the clothes I was in. So no sleeping bag, roll mat etc. Tony and Andrew also took up the challenge despite giving me a ribbing first.

Andrew went for the classic A-frame design with a long long fire in front. This took most of the day to get right and it goes to show how long a decent shelter can take.

andrewshelter.jpg

AndrewShelter2.jpg

Myself and Tony decided to team up on our efforts and make a debris hut. As with any primitive shelter, the most important thing is insulation. It can take several hours to get a shelter right. This would be a more long term shelter and indeed it could have even used some more debris

DonalTonyShelter.jpg

The hut had a hole in the roof to let the smoke escape. This is it with only part of the debris on it. I used spruce and fir branches for bedding.

We slept in shifts with each person sleeping for an hour while the other tended the fire. The temperatures dropped between 2 and 3 but we were comfortable while the fire was going.

Other activities included practicing fire lighting using different material but only using a fire steel. We also identified some plants

OrangePeelFungus.jpg

and of course there was plenty of banter by the fire

FireFood.jpg

Thanks to everyone who came out and I look forward to the next meet up

Im well empressed with the shelters. Sorry I missed the few days. Look forward to meeting up soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 deergrove

jim i liked the look of your bhk knife you got at christmas ... im thinking of trading up from the mora .. would u recommend it , price seems very resonable on line. any advice taken

Thanks
    chris

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jamesieboy

Hey Chris,

I'd recommend it (almost) without reservation. Blind Horse Knives are brilliant in my opinion. A little heavy but solid. My knife is one that was commissioned by The Canteen Shop and is only sold through their website (see review here) The knife is excellent but the only downside is that the blade cut through the side of the sheath when I put it in the other day. This might have been due to lack of care on my part, or it might be that the blade isn't quite compatible with their standard sheaths, seeing as it is a bit of a custom job.

You might be better off with the bushcrafter by BHK. This is their flagship knife and I reckon the sheath might be better moulded to it.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

jamesieboy wrote: »
    ...but the only downside is that the blade cut through the side of the sheath when I put it in the other day. This might have been due to lack of care on my part, or it might be that the blade isn't quite compatible with their standard sheaths, seeing as it is a bit of a custom job.

Nothing to do with it being sharpened to a point that it could take out Wolverines adamantium claws!!!

Deadpool_vs_Wolverine_by_ReillyBrown.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jamesieboy

Well you know what the bushcraft gurus all say; "A sharp knife is a safe knife". In that case my knives are all VERY safe. Still cut myself from time to time though. Maybe they're not "safe" enough yet.....

Well you know what the bushcraft gurus all say; "A sharp knife is a safe knife". In that case my knives are all VERY safe. Still cut myself from time to time though. Maybe they're not "safe" enough yet.....

As my dad just found out a sharp knife cut deep. Was showing him a knife I just sharpened. Ran his tumb over the edge and brew blood. I had a giggle though.

• Advertisement

As my dad just found out a sharp knife cut deep. Was showing him a knife I just sharpened. Ran his tumb over the edge and brew blood. I had a giggle though.

There comes a time in a bushcrafters life when they demand challenges. Challenges which bring skill sets together and compare what you know to what you think you know. Well what better challenge than to try and stay comfortable in the woods for a weekend with only 5 items. Its a question that for some odd reason gets thrown about a fair amount. "If you were stuck somewhere, what item would you bring?"

I have to admit that its an amusing question but not one which I ask myself regularly at all. I go out to the woods to have fun and enjoy being there. Having said that, the challenge of little to no kit is a good one to test yourself. I wouldnt encourage complete beginners to try it but those who have camping skills should practice reducing their kit requirements.

Our challenge brought us into the Mountains and with it, mountain conditions. We joke about Ireland getting the 4 season in a day but on Saturday we literally got Rain, Snow, Hail and sunshine over the course of the afternoon.

I managed to convince Roberto that sleeping outside without a sleeping bag at 0 degrees would be fun. So I had a partner in crime for my antics. So with little more than a knife, hand saw and foil blanket we set about getting ready for the night. The rest of the lads went about practicing their own minimalist camping.

image_1.jpg

Our set up took most of the day to build and gather materials for the night. I was relying on boil water to drink which was time consuming. It always brings me a new respect for a tap.

image_3.jpg

It was fantastic weekend. A different experience and interesting challenge. So if you are interested in how we got on and how we did it.... Come out and ask us :-)

Out next meet will be in Galway next month

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

well, it has been a long time since I attended a bushcraft club meet, due to other commitments on my time, but I got out to the latest meet in Galway and I had a blast. the weather was better than you could possibly hope for. everyone had their little projects going on, but for the most part I think people used the occasion for r&r. I sure did. it was great to meet new friends and get caught up with old friends. here are a few of my pics from the weekend.
    andrew002.jpg

benches001.jpg

roberto001.jpg

benches002.jpg

donal001-2.jpg

morning002.jpg

breakfast001.jpg

morning001.jpg

pano002_small.jpg
    large pano here http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/irishlostboy/pano002_large.jpg

pano001_small.jpg
    large pano here http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm45/irishlostboy/pano001_large.jpg

Hi Lads,
    Looks like you had a real good weekend. Sorry i missed it again. Hope to get out there next time.

Am going to cook a leg of lamb in a ground oven today. Got some tips from T. Never tried it before so will let you know how i got on later.

Just put my new knife together. Its for my God son. He is 21 this year. I think it came out well. The finger guard was hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭waterboy15

angland27 wrote: »
    Just put my new knife together. Its for my God son. He is 21 this year. I think it came out well. The finger guard was hard work.

Great idea for a present.

Sorry for the lateness in getting this one up. Couldnt find my camera cable.

Last weekend was a great weekend as the weather and the forgaging were good to us. The Sun shone for the whole weekend and we got a good bit done. This time of year, its definitely time to break out the ID books and get your eye in for useful plants. We saw a huge amount wild edibles

- Primrose
    - Golden Saxifrage
    - Lesser Celandine
    - Wild Ramsons
    - Fresh Beech leaves
    - Hawthorn leaves
    - Wood Sorrel
    - Pignuts

DSC05072.jpg

and many more! The new shoots were up and peoples eyes were lit up by edibles we havent seen in a year. It looked a little strange seeing 5 people digging through the muck for pignuts but I think everyone enjoyed it.

DSC05125.jpg

Other activities we go up to included, trap building, basket making, birch tree tapping, spoon carving and the old trusty bow drill (Fire board)

DSC05077.jpg

DSC05070.jpg

Special thanks to Paul for supplying the Lamb and doing the ground oven.

DSC05117.jpg

We had a great weekend and there was plenty of activity to keep us busy. There is no gathering next month as 11 members are heading to Karlsborg in Sweden for the clubs annual overseas trip.

Our annual trip took us to my favourite European Country. Sweden. For me, Sweden has it all from a bushcraft perspective. The Summers tend to be decent, the Winter brings the snow. The people are friendly and most speak decent english. It has such variety throughout its length that it is a great choice to do a cheap foreign trip.

Our plan was to head to Karlsborg. The town is home to a well known Blacksmith in bushcrafting terms. It is also the HQ for the Swedish Military Survival school. So for a Spring trip, it had a lot going for it.

We would camp for the first few days near Karlsborg and then head North to Orebro to meet some friends from Sweden.

With 11 people going, we rented 3 estates and cheap Ryanair flights. Out plan was to camp for the 5 days near the towns of interest

Day 1 started in Stockholm with Blue skies and high spirits. After picking up the cars we headed west and into the rain. It was fairly constant and heavy which put thought in everyones head "Is this the weather for the week?". The first night we set up near Tiveden, the national park. After a quick look around we found an area. Experience and routine meant we had camp ready in no time. It was smokey rain evening and everyone was tired from the 4am start. However people were looking forward to the next day

DSC05130.jpg

Day 2 It was a day many had been looking forward to. After ringing up the night before, we got to meet Julius Petterson. Julius supplies knives to Ray Mears and helped Ray develop his woodlore design. From a bushcraft perspective, he is one of the top knife maker. A true gentleman, he showed us around his forge and spent some time displaying his crafts and knowledge. Of course people couldnt resist and a few knives were bought. He decided to join us for lunch and we really enjoyed his company. It was a great day and everyone came out smiling, including Julius

DSC05138.jpg

DSC05159.jpg

We headed into the national park for a wander. The Sun decided to show itself and we got some gear dried out.

DSC05189.jpg

Some using more interesting methods of drying than others. We drove around for a bit looking for a suitable camp spot.

Day 3 Another treat was getting to meet lads from the Swedish Survival Guild whom I know through personal contacts. These guys, both Military Survival and Civilian Bushcraft/Survival instructors, really knew their land. We hike around the Hills of Orebro learning from them and about Sweden and its conditions. They had a great sense of humour and were very generous with their time. Knowledgeable and friendly, they were a pleasure to listen to.

DSC05213.jpg

DSC05202.jpg

They showed us their area where they run courses and we camped their for the evening.

Day 4 We were on our own time now and decided to use it. Some of the lads fished, others practice trap making, fire lighting using local Swedish resources, wood carving, moose tracking and other activities. Two of the lads caught some Crayfish in the local river which went down a treat that evening.

DSC05262.jpg

DSC05219.jpg

Day 5 An early start had us up and out early. We headed back to airport but not before we did some shopping. Some got more than they bargined for ... but thats a story for the campfire ;-)

Overall the trip was a great success and everyone had a good time. Our June meet is open to new comers and the dates will be up on our website shortly

• Advertisement

Crapbag wrote: »
    Our annual trip took us to my favourite European Country. Sweden. For me, Sweden has it all from a bushcraft perspective. The Summers tend to be decent, the Winter brings the snow. The people are friendly and most speak decent english. It has such variety throughout its length that it is a great choice to do a cheap foreign trip.

Our plan was to head to Karlsborg. The town is home to a well known Blacksmith in bushcrafting terms. It is also the HQ for the Swedish Military Survival school. So for a Spring trip, it had a lot going for it.

We would camp for the first few days near Karlsborg and then head North to Orebro to meet some friends from Sweden.

With 11 people going, we rented 3 estates and cheap Ryanair flights. Out plan was to camp for the 5 days near the towns of interest

Day 1 started in Stockholm with Blue skies and high spirits. After picking up the cars we headed west and into the rain. It was fairly constant and heavy which put thought in everyones head "Is this the weather for the week?". The first night we set up near Tiveden, the national park. After a quick look around we found an area. Experience and routine meant we had camp ready in no time. It was smokey rain evening and everyone was tired from the 4am start. However people were looking forward to the next day

DSC05130.jpg

Day 2 It was a day many had been looking forward to. After ringing up the night before, we got to meet Julius Petterson. Julius supplies knives to Ray Mears and helped Ray develop his woodlore design. From a bushcraft perspective, he is one of the top knife maker. A true gentleman, he showed us around his forge and spent some time displaying his crafts and knowledge. Of course people couldnt resist and a few knives were bought. He decided to join us for lunch and we really enjoyed his company. It was a great day and everyone came out smiling, including Julius

DSC05138.jpg

DSC05159.jpg

We headed into the national park for a wander. The Sun decided to show itself and we got some gear dried out.

DSC05189.jpg

Some using more interesting methods of drying than others. We drove around for a bit looking for a suitable camp spot.

Day 3 Another treat was getting to meet lads from the Swedish Survival Guild whom I know through personal contacts. These guys, both Military Survival and Civilian Bushcraft/Survival instructors, really knew their land. We hike around the Hills of Orebro learning from them and about Sweden and its conditions. They had a great sense of humour and were very generous with their time. Knowledgeable and friendly, they were a pleasure to listen to.

DSC05213.jpg

DSC05202.jpg

They showed us their area where they run courses and we camped their for the evening.

Day 4 We were on our own time now and decided to use it. Some of the lads fished, others practice trap making, fire lighting using local Swedish resources, wood carving, moose tracking and other activities. Two of the lads caught some Crayfish in the local river which went down a treat that evening.

DSC05262.jpg

DSC05219.jpg

Day 5 An early start had us up and out early. We headed back to airport but not before we did some shopping. Some got more than they bargined for ... but thats a story for the campfire ;-)

Overall the trip was a great success and everyone had a good time. Our June meet is open to new comers and the dates will be up on our website shortly[/Quote
    ]
    Itlooks likeyou all had a great time. Hope on hope to get out soon. Jon

Just to update y'all. We had a meet up last month (June) which went very well. Very enthusiastic new comers and a visit from our friends up North from Buzzard Bushcraft. We hope to have them down again very soon.

We have meet ups scheduled for July, August and September but these are for members only for administrative reasons. We are hoping to run an open meet soon for people wanting to get out to meet us. Ill try provide a more detailed update over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sully69

Hello,
    I am planning a holiday to Ireland this August and would like to meet up with some fellow bushcrafters as part of my trip. I am fairly new to it all and would appreciate the chance to learn some new skills and chat to like minded people. If anyone knows of any events this August please let me know.
    Cheers

Sully69 wrote: »
    Hello,
    I am planning a holiday to Ireland this August and would like to meet up with some fellow bushcrafters as part of my trip. I am fairly new to it all and would appreciate the chance to learn some new skills and chat to like minded people. If anyone knows of any events this August please let me know.
    Cheers

Hey Sully. I think you emailed us. I have mailed you back. If it wasnt you, dont the club a mail and we'll get back to you

Bushcraft ranges a whole host of skills and types of activities. From the relaxing weekends spent swaying in a hammock to the more challenging affair of testing your own abilities using skills which you have learned.

I met up with two friends of mine, Paul and Andy, who run NI Survival school up North. Our challenge was to use only 2 items (a knife and metal cup) with only the clothes on our back for 3 days . We had to achieve the basics of bushcraft which would be Shelter, Fire, Water and Food. A common question that people pose in bushcraft, is 'if you only had one item to take with you into a bad situation, what would it be?' My answer is always, 'a solid person beside you'. I value this more than any piece of kit I could bring. I was lucky in that I had 2.

If you are considering doing something like this, dont be foolish and bring only the items you are challenging yourself to use. Bring a full kit with you in case something goes wrong. You can choose to only use a few items as a challenge but you have the backup of your equipment close to hand. There is no point in making a practice scenario into a really bad situation due to lack of preparation.

I constructed this shelter is no tools. I did find some cut logs for my fire reflector but eveything else was either picked up by hand or broken off. No saw, knife or axe. Andy and Pauls shelter was the same. A good shelter is hugely important. Its a good idea to make a shelter that isnt dependent on fire for warmth if you aren't confident of getting a fire going.

Shelter1.jpg

Paul and Andy's Shelter

PaulAndyShelter.jpg

Our next challenge was fire. After a few attempts with the hand drill, we decided to conserve energy by using the bow drill method. I donated my boot lace for this one. It took over 3 hours and all 3 of us getting involved in both preparing the materials and firing up the set in order to get it to go. All 3 of us have quite a bit of experience doing this and still found it tough. It gives you a new respect for fire when you're cold and hungry.

AndyBowDrill.jpg

Next was water. This was the main use of the metal mug. Thankfully we had a river near by which we could get water from. We boiled it both in our mugs and also in a glass bottle we found. Of course, it got a good wash first.

DonalWater.jpg

Lastly is food. When you are working hard to make shelters, collect materials, light fire, you burn quite a large amount of calories and get hungry quickly. All food had to be sourced from the wilds. So we foraged for a few plants we knew to try keep the energy up. Your body changes and adapts to a lack of food. When the body has burnt the easy access carbohydrates, it begins to convert fat into a usable energy souce, which is a slower process. When you're tired, its important to listen to the body and rest for short periods to allow the body process and build back up your energy levels.

Stew.jpg

We scouted the local area for potential hunting spoils. There was plenty out there but unfortunately we were unlucky after a few attempts with primitive tools. It would take a little longer to prepare correctly for hunting and trapping but we did get close on occasion.

It was a great exercise and the 2 lads are a fountain of knowledge. Extremely enthusiastic and experienced. Im lucky to have people like this to call on and head out to the woods with. Congrats on their school being open 1 year this month. Cheers for a great weekend

417392_270633196370355_1429527356_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jester`

I just bought a DD Travel Hammock 2012, and I can't wait to try it. I also have a 3mx3m tarp.

After reading some websites about underblankets and extra roll mat's due to the wind passing under the hammock and the compression of the sleeping bag reducing insulation, what do some of you guys use?

I was just thinking of putting a folded wool blanket under myself when i'm in a sleeping bag, and I should be fine. Hammock and Tarp is 1.6kg, blanket will be another 1kg. I'm trying to travel light. Hope to be getting out from now till christmas so any advice welcome.

Also I did the IPNA Basic Bushcraft course last month, and loved it. Looking forward to the Advanced :)

Jester

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Hi Jester,
    A lot of us use the Thermarest range of sleeping mats. I use the Neoair All Season myself.

Good luck with the Hammock,

Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

Hi Jester,
    A lot of us use the Thermarest range of sleeping mats. I use the Neoair All Season myself.

Good luck with the Hammock,

Eoin
    Eoin can i ask how small does the neoair pack ,how much ;)
    is it hard to inflate.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Jester,
    It cost me about €135 which is a lot I know but worth it in my opinion. Not hard to inflate but does take a few puffs. I usually do it in two attempts so as not to get lightheaded...
    It packs away small enough. I measured it there but just to warn you, i didn't do a particularly good job of packing it small the other day after using it as the ground was wet.
    It measures 25cm in length and 40cm in girth. Can be packed a bit neater too though. A lot smaller than my foam mat!!

Eoin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 jester`

I'm looking to get out this weekend and my mate said he'd drive :)

So I'm looking for a place that would be within 1.5 hours from Dublin, park up the car and walk somewhere we can set up and fish. I'll be in a hammock and he'll tent. Any suggestions?

Any suggestions appreciated, and I can get a licence if required for fishing.

Jester

Advertisement