Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-09-2014, 09:50   #3766
Karmella

12 days in and baby seems to be getting more and more colicky :-( I find it so difficult to wind him at all, and he only feeds for a few minutes at a time. As soon as I put him down he's screaming again. I pick him up and he starts rooting so put him on the boob and he is trying to drink while wailing at the same time. It's like he's starving but in pain at the same time.

Usually if I manage to wind him at all he just spews instead of burping. For the first week or so he spewed after every feed so I thought maybe he had reflux, but now I just wonder if it's just colic. He's definitely way worse at night time.

My older son was a bit colicky aswell but not this bad and after 6 weeks I switched to a comfort formula because neither of us were happy. I wonder if I'm putting too much pressure on myself to breastfeed this little fella for the same amount of time. I can't pay any attention to my older son and I'm so exhausted.

I think I feel bad about switching because the crying aside, he has no issue latching on, my nipples aren't sore or anything, so I don't have a lot of the issues that mums find when they try to feed, and I have no idea if I switch now if it will make any difference to his colic.

I don't know what to do
Advertisement
21-09-2014, 10:09   #3767
lynski

most bf babies do not need winding. first off try some laidback nursing, and make some baby is tummy to tummy.Ill pop a link or two on here.

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/a...20for%20BF.pdf aplogies for the PDF link but there is so much info on that leaflet it could not be quoted.

Quote:
mothers neither sit up right nor do they lie on their sides or flat on their back. Instead, they are in comfortable semi-reclined positions where every part of their body is supported especially their shoulders and neck. Then they lie their babies on top of their bodies so that babies head is somewhere near the breast. In other words mothers make the breast available. Babies lie prone or on their tummies but their bodies are not flat but tilted up

Last edited by lynski; 21-09-2014 at 10:17.
Thanks from:
21-09-2014, 18:29   #3768
comongethappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmella View Post
12 days in and baby seems to be getting more and more colicky :-( I find it so difficult to wind him at all, and he only feeds for a few minutes at a time. As soon as I put him down he's screaming again. I pick him up and he starts rooting so put him on the boob and he is trying to drink while wailing at the same time. It's like he's starving but in pain at the same time.

Usually if I manage to wind him at all he just spews instead of burping. For the first week or so he spewed after every feed so I thought maybe he had reflux, but now I just wonder if it's just colic. He's definitely way worse at night time.

My older son was a bit colicky aswell but not this bad and after 6 weeks I switched to a comfort formula because neither of us were happy. I wonder if I'm putting too much pressure on myself to breastfeed this little fella for the same amount of time. I can't pay any attention to my older son and I'm so exhausted.

I think I feel bad about switching because the crying aside, he has no issue latching on, my nipples aren't sore or anything, so I don't have a lot of the issues that mums find when they try to feed, and I have no idea if I switch now if it will make any difference to his colic.

I don't know what to do
Hey Karmella, I know somewhat what you are going through. I had lowish platelets at delivery and lost 600 cc blood, so I'm running anemic now. I had fever during labour, so both baby and I were on IV antibiotics and I had a precautionary prescription to take at home, which has left me with diahorea. I was four days in hospital, two for induction/labour and two for after, getting on average 2 hrs sleep per day. He was on me literally all night, fell asleep twice for an hour each time while side nursing, panicking that I could have smothered him. Every time I put him in the crib, he would scream under the night. During the day he would sleep in it for 3 hrs, but I couldn't sleep then due to all the noise. on the 2nd night with him I broke down, felt like a complete failure as I went to get a bottle from midwife so I could sleep.

I had him on me for the 17 - 22 times a day since coming home 2 days ago for a total of 4 hrs each day. He would only sleep when held, which was fine as visitors wanted to hold him, and cried all night despite soother. He developed red spots in his urine, no dirty nappies. I felt like an absolute failure again as something was wrong and I had to give him a bottle at 3 this morning so I could get 3 hrs sleep

Went back to Holles St this morning for heel prick, and they confirmed he was feeding off me way too much and the red spots were uric acid as he was dehydrated as my body hasn't let down milk yet, most likely due to me being run down. In the 4 days since born he had alreafy lost his 10%. They said I was right give bottle and I am to bf ever 3 hrs for 15 mins on each breast and give formula when still showing signs of hunger till milk comes down.

I felt so relieved to be told that it didn't matter what websites said about bf, at this time, no matter how often I demand feed, I am not enough for my baby but a combination is best for both of us. Two midwives took me into a room to calm me down and reassure me that I was doing great and not to be so hard on myself.

I think sometimes books and the Internet can make moms feel so bad about themselves. No baby and mother is the same and I am just starting to realise I need to go with what I feel is right for baby, me, and hubby. He tried to reassure me so many times but I wouldn't hear him as I was caught in a viscous circle of breastfeeding advocates opinions, sleep deprivation, and baby blues.

I am still pro breastfeeding, and will continue even if it's combination feeding. However, once your baby is happy, healthy and loved- that's what matters. So like was told to me Karmella, you're doing great, don't be so hard on yourself, and do whatever works best for your family :-)

Last edited by comongethappy; 21-09-2014 at 19:37.
(2) thanks from:
21-09-2014, 21:06   #3769
Sligo1

Hi all, I've recently stopped expressing each morning so have a box of medela freezer bags if anyone wants them. There's 15 bags left in the box (was 20)... And they're usually €13 a box. I'm in South Dublin so if anyone wants them (free obviously), let me know if you can collect
21-09-2014, 23:02   #3770
coddlehip

Karmella,

Have you had baby checked for a tongue-tie? My DD was very similar with colicky symptoms especially in the evenings and had a anterior tongue-tie which I think caused her to swallow too much air when feeding even though she didn't seem to have trouble latching on. Holles St. either didn't notice it (or at least didn't mention it), but it was diagnosed by one of the community midwives who visited us. I don't think she really burped much either but seemed to find that latching on helped the air to pass through to the other end.
Tongue-tie can also be genetic so if your older son was also colicky could he have had undiagnosed tongue-tie?
DD was much better after she had the tongue tie released (which all went very smoothly and took about 5 seconds).
Did you try anything like Infacol? It didn't seem to make much difference with dd but some people seem to find it helps.

Hope you and he are able to find some way to relieve his symptoms and leave you less exhausted.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 11:49   #3771
Karmella

I have the 2 week check up with the gp this week so I'll see if she has any insight. I'm after another sleepless night - he cried constantly from 2 until 6 . I was kind of following that laid back approach without realising it anyway, so I'm not sure if it's making any difference. He definitely needed to be winded his little belly was so bloated, and it was actually only after a nappy explosion that he calmed down at 6am. There isn't a peep out of him now, had to wake him for a feed after which he went straight back to sleep on my chest. (seems to be his favourite spot)
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 13:04   #3772
lynski

it can be hard when they sleep only there but it will pass so quickly. sling might be your best friend
switching to formula might not help (i spoke to a woman whose son nursed each hour on the hour when she switched to formula, on advice of nearly all, he still did but now she had the added pressure of washing and sterilising bottles. she nursed her second child on the hr every hr for 9 mths a tleast she didn't have any additional work)
persist with gp, but you are also under the care of the hospital still.
You will need to talk about oversupply as a possibility, tongue-tie also and the poss of dairy intolerance. hth
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 13:05   #3773
lynski

also to say my son was also like that, all three were, it passed after some time. there were tongue-tie issues and dairy issues.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion