Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tonight With Vincent Browne Thread v2.0

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Should we declare our interests before posting comments on Boards ?

I'll begin by declaring that I'm very interested in Karen Devine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Vincent Browne is sooooo arrogant! But he's hilariously good at it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Skid wrote: »
    But is he a member of Fianna Fail or do you want him to list out his family members who are/were in that party?

He was a member of Ógra Fianna Fáil in UCD (not sure if he's a full member now), and his brother and cousin ran for the Dáíl at the last election..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Could Hook get any louder..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Only half watching tonight's episode, but thank god Vinny decided to get that mop of hair cut. He looks much younger & much more respectable now, compared with his previous Ken Dodd look

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Jaaast Lassstinnn, Jaaast Lassstinnn

Could Hook get any louder..

If you think he's loud now wait till you hear him at half time next weekend when Ireland are losing to Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

token101 wrote: »
    Jaaast Lassstinnn ?, Jaaast Lassstinnn ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

He was a member of Ógra Fianna Fáil in UCD (not sure if he's a full member now), and his brother and cousin ran for the Dáíl at the last election..

Well, if he is currently a member that should certainly be disclosed.

But I don't think he should have to say now, or in 20 years time when he might still be host of the Late Late Show, that he was once a member of Ogra Fianna Fáil.

And I don't expect anyone to disclose who their Brother or Cousin supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭take everything

Not sure what point Eamon Ryan is making.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Leo Dowling

Eamon Ryan never lost his appetite for the old nannystate philosophy. His greens would probably want to bring in a subjectivity levy.

There is a whiff of McCarthyism about tonights show, lots of journalists being outed.

George doesn't need a microphone.

That Hook decision not to interview politicians during an election campaign was a decision you'd see in China. Mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Can't see Hook going on the show again, nearly a bust up but that's what makes Vinnie B's show so good.

Sky News' Polticial Editor, Adam Boulton, doesn't vote at all to show he's unbiased.

Can't see Hook going on the show again, nearly a bust up but that's what makes Vinnie B's show so good.

All pantomime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭take everything

Vincent looks a good 10 years younger.
    I'd say he's just oblivious of his own appearance.
    The wife probably made him get that haircut.

Then again, the unruly hair was an important part of the whole "mad as hell" image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Jeez, the elephants in the room.

Denis O Brien must be delighted with Hook's impression of him. Light entertainment, my backside. Newstalk is not a light entertainment station George. Its bad enough that one man has been allowed buy up so much of the media ie 2 national stations in Newstalk and Today FM and a rake of so called "independent local" radio stations. Independent of whom ?

Declaration of other interests shouldnt be an issue for broadcasters, but it is and they are all running scared. We shouldnt have a situation whereby broadcasters have any direct conflict of interest.

The one who is being singled out is Anton Savage as he is the MD of the Communications Clinic who count Enda Kenny among their clients in the pr coaching etc. Anton of course is also known for his on air capabilities on Today FM a national independent station. Doesn't take a conspiracy theorist to work out possible personal conflicts that could arise not that Anton would be that unprofessional. Still an awful position to be put in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The funny thing, I don't see either Browne or Hook as occupying either ends of the political spectrum, despite what one is claiming of the other: to me they're both a pair of similarly mouthy journos with their own brand of Iknowbest'isms, rather than being spokesmen for the left/right. It's no wonder they're sparking off each other & look ready to commit murder - they're way too alike, and far more than they'd ever care to admit. Although, at least Hook has the decency to admit he's a blustering, biased eejit; Browne's too pious for that.

• Advertisement

Sky News' Polticial Editor, Adam Boulton, doesn't vote at all to show he's unbiased.

Not unbiased enough to have an affair with one of Tony Blair's spin doctors and divorce his wife to marry her.

Lapin wrote: »
    Not unbiased enough to have an affair with one of Tony Blair's spin doctors and divorce his wife to marry her.

I hope they're very happy together.

If I was to guess, I would say he was biased the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

How is this a demonstration of bias? It might be a demonstration of morals but it hardly speaks to his political affiliation.

Thats just mud slinging.

Skid wrote: »
    If I was to guess, I would say he was biased the other way

Some say Boulton showed his bias the day Prescott punched a protestor during the 2001 election campaign. Boulton immediately said Prescott would have to resign when it all turned out to be a storm in a tea cup.

Prescott has refused to do an interview with Boulton since that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

But it could be argued that he is in a position to influence a lot more than one vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It is only fair that a TV or Radio show provides balance. NewsTalk would be the first to start being bias if such regulations* where removed. E.g. It's licence IMO is for a News and Current Affairs Talk radio service.

Sometimes things do become bias on both Radio and TV and it is only proper that Viewers and Listeners have the right to have their point of view heard, or even an opposing point of view.

Newspapers are different often we levitate towards a certain newspaper due to its bias. However I expect reporters to report with little bias and columnist to give their view.

I don't think it should matter who a presenter votes for, but if they interview a person from the party they vote for they should be able to clearly argue against them. I personally think VB does this, I have seen shows with a panel of Pinko Lefties :rolleyes: with VB giving a better arguments against such views then the best Rumbled Righty :D.

*The BAI view itself as a soft self regulator the head of the organisation was put into that position back in the early 1990s by a FF/PD government, I can't imagine he understands the word regulation.

Kirby wrote: »
    How is this a demonstration of bias? It might be a demonstration of morals but it hardly speaks to his political affiliation.

Thats just mud slinging.

I wasn't trying to sling any mud. I quite like Adam Boulton and I also hope both he and Anji Hunter are happy together.

Perhaps my point wasn't very well put.

When the affair became public knowledge, there were suggestions that he was open to the influence of Hunter. However unfounded this might be, the fact that he was romantically involved with a Labour Party hack left him vulnerable to such claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭jimaneejeebus

Tonights' show was in equal measures fascinating and disconcerting....did anyone else get an uncomfortable feeling listening to the matter-of-fact way in which Eamon Ryan was proposing to alter the way the media work?

Firstly
    Vincent rightly made the point that the law-if passed-would push editorial biases further underground. He called them 'covert biases'. And he also rightly argued that whilst overt biases aren't perfect, they are infinitely more perfect than covert biases......At least we know where we stand yes?

Secondly
    If no-one is allowed to be biased, how will we ever be able to ask any politician anything????? How will we be able to disagree with them??? How will we be able to voice our complaints or make any grievances known to our politicians without it potentially being construed as being biased against someone or other???

Even Playing devils advocate could be construed as bias [even though it is an essential tool in trying to remain objective]

Thirdly-
    Who decides what is biased and what is not? Surely they will be affected by their own personal biases?

Fourthly-
    The whole system will rely on complaints from the general public, who-by definition- are biased! I can see perceived biases in favor of Sinn Fein being disproportionately singled out. I can see biases against Fine Gael being disproportionately singled out...[well that's changing also!]

Fifthly
    And particularly if u agree with 4 above....I can also see a maintaining of the status quo. The middle ground will be favored in lieu of the grievances of the left and right. In other words there will potentially exist a bias in favor of the norm. One could argue that this may a good thing, without the polarizing effects of the far right and far left ideals.... but it is still a bias nonetheless.

Sixth(ly!)
    Politicians have an agenda. Like all human beings they are biased. We need people like Vincent Brown to uncover these biases, to question the validity of these biases and to ensure poeple are aware of the pros and cons of any individual or collective agenda. As someone rightly mentioned above, we all know Vincent is slightly left leaning, but that does not prevent him from doing his job. He tears into everyone.

So there's a whole heap of stuff that I've thought about in just the last few minutes [there will probably be more] that I don't think Eamon Ryan has even contemplated. If he did, he did not mention them tonight.

Is anyone else feeling uncomfortable about the blase manner of Ryan tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Personally I think you can pick Eamon Ryan up completely wrong. It is very easy to say "why should I listen to one of the men who ruined the country" while forgetting that the country was already in a mess long before either Green minister took office. E.g. Eamon's appointees to the BAI board were not Eamon's they're where choose by the Oireachtas through the Communications Committee i.e. FG, LP, SF and FF all had a say, unlike the usual quickly formed FF board appointees.
    Vincent rightly made the point that the law-if passed-would push editorial biases further underground. He called them 'covert biases'. And he also rightly argued that whilst overt biases aren't perfect, they are infinitely more perfect than covert biases......At least we know where we stand yes?

You shouldn't really know where a presenter stands when he or she is interviewing a guest. As I said a good presenter can attack both sides and can attack their side better then the opposing side. Does the code go as far as to say that the presenter cannot interview a person because of there agreed bias. E.g. Brian Dobson isn't the strongest of interviewers but he ripped his boss to shreds on Six:One over the Fr. Renyold's scandal, perhaps he missed out on that job?
    If no-one is allowed to be biased, how will we ever be able to ask any politician anything????? How will we be able to disagree with them??? How will we be able to voice our complaints or make any grievances known to our politicians without it potentially being construed as being biased against someone or other???

Even Playing devils advocate could be construed as bias [even though it is an essential tool in trying to remain objective]

Playing devils advocate is key, but this isn't bias if your interviewing or questing someone of the opposing view. It only become bias when you are interviewing the Devil. (I know taking the metaphor too far!)
    Who decides what is biased and what is not? Surely they will be affected by their own personal biases?

The audience, then the broadcaster if the audience isn't happy then they ask the BAI to look into the matter on their behalf. Then it is up to the BAI, who are independent but must be transparently appointed.
    The whole system will rely on complaints from the general public, who-by definition- are biased! I can see perceived biases in favor of Sinn Fein being disproportionately singled out. I can see biases against Fine Gael being disproportionately singled out...[well that's changing also!]

This is already the case in broadcasting. Previously you made you complaint directly to the BCC (Broadcasting Complaints Committee), which has now merged with the BCI (Broadcasting Commission of Ireland) to form the BAI (Broadcasting Authority of Ireland).

But then the BAI have to judge, for example was TV3's documentary on Corrib bias towards shell, they ruled it wasn't. I would be of the opinion it was hugely bias. But you have to agree with the ruling. The reason bias against FG is not singled out is because they are in Government and the larger party, you'd think the media (and public) found a new FF to fawn over.
    Fifthly....I can also see a maintaining of the status quo. The middle ground will be favored in lieu of the grievances of the left and right. In other words there will potentially exist a bias in favor of the norm. One could argue that this may a good thing, without the polarizing effects of the far right and far left ideals.... but it is still a bias nonetheless.

The thing is the BAI are weak, I would doubt they will even consider implementing half of what they push through. Anyway I must read this further. The BAI are a waste of space ATM.

Anyway Hook wants to see change:-

1. The moratorium on Elections removed (even though he gave his show a moratorium during the presidential election, for excaltly the reasons I agree with the moratorium, some peace)
    2. Political Advertising on Television and Radio, but not RTÉ.

But that isn't change it is just more of the same.

The Key is balance and the code should reflect this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement