Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MY BOSS STOLE MY JOB

Options
  • 25-06-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

OK, so here's the scenario.
    I've spent the last 5 years running a warehouse. Up until just over a year ago I answered to the purchasing manager. It was then decided amidst a raft of cuts and redundancies that her position was redundant. During that restructure a guy who never worked in a warehouse, was 'sideshifted' and ended up as my manager. He in turn was answerable to the operations director.
    10 days ago it was decided that another raft of redundancies were needed, and that this time, the cuts were coming from the top.
    The operations director decided that he was capable of fulfilling the purchasing role(which has been redundant for a year) and also taking over the supervision of the warehouse.
    I was called in yesterday and told that my role a warehouse supervisor is now redundant, and have therefore lost my job
    There is a general operative who has worked under me for the last 4 years, I was told I could have his job if I wanted it, and this means he is out the door.
    The upshot is, the position that my boss was in has become redundant, and he has decided to do my job rather than be unemployed, so its me on the dole now. Any advice? Surely this is wrong the warehouse still need to be supervised

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

It looks like your boss has decided to take on your role (I believe the term is consolidation) as opposed to ending up on the dole.

Harsh, I know, but his choice was take on more responsibility and take on other jobs or end up unemployed himself. In his position, I might very well do the same myself.

Now you've been offered a similar choice. I'm guessing you're feeling some of what your boss felt. Do you turf someone else out of a job so you can keep yours?

The harsh reality of the current climate is that businesses are being forced to make these choices up and down the country. Its not pretty, it may not even be fair, but in many cases it is necessary for those businesses to survive as going concerns.

The question I would be asking is what is best for you? Do you think that you could take the redundancy on offer and go on the job hunt? Perhaps even emigrate to get work? Or do you accept the 'demotion' (I'm guessing the role you've been offered entails a salary cut) and stay in employment. Try to focus on the practicalities of the situation, and make your decision on this basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Its unfortunate to be put in that situaion. But I think a lot of people would do what your boss did, if they could. In the job market it is really everyone for themselves so you cant blame him.

As someone that is unemloyed for some amount of time I would accept the demotion, it is not easy to find another job at the moment. Alternatively if you dont want to see the general operative out of a job you could start looking for another job for yourself ASAP as I'm sure it will be easier to get a job while you are in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

Thanks for the replies, but it wasn't my role that was deemed redundant, it was his.
    I am already on the lookout for another job though, and I am looking at further education and training courses, hopefully be qualified for a better position when the upturn does happen

fupduck wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies, but it wasn't my role that was deemed redundant, it was his.

True but because he is above you he has the option to make the "s**t roll down hill" as it were. Which is common practice in companies.

Good idea on the upskilling, it can only be a good thing

Thanks gline, I know its not easy out there, so I think I may just try and get some free training while i am entitled to it

• Advertisement

Thanks gline, I know its not easy out there, so I think I may just try and get some free training while i am entitled to it

Sure why not :)

I take it from that comment that you are not going to take the demotion?

its not really an option, it wont be a true and proper demotion, my boss cant do the job, so I will end up doing the same job, with the added responsibility of carrying him, and training him into my position. I just think that its disgraceful what some employers are doing under the guise of 'the recession'. The real problem in our place is an institutionalised mindset, and operating systems that are not fit for purpose, we can see money being wasted on a daily basis, through mis- management and a lack of listening

its not really an option, it wont be a true and proper demotion, my boss cant do the job, so I will end up doing the same job, with the added responsibility of carrying him, and training him into my position. I just think that its disgraceful what some employers are doing under the guise of 'the recession'. The real problem in our place is an institutionalised mindset, and operating systems that are not fit for purpose, we can see money being wasted on a daily basis, through mis- management and a lack of listening

Sorry to hear that. If you will still end up doing most of the job you are doing now for less money and more duties on top then that is a tough one. But if you get stuck on the dole for a long time you still may regret not taking it, it depends on how quick you think this recession will be over or whether it will get worse :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Essentially(based on my reading), they are giving you the choice that your boss got, do the job directly below you (or rather do whatever job you do at that pay level) or get let go.
    As you said you and your boss to be fair will probably end up doing what you always have for less pay.
    That is sadly the way things are going.

Advertisement