Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[build/OC log] (\/)0n0L17(-) III

• 03-10-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

It's been a few months since I've had a main PC. What happened to my last PC was a series of unfortunate events. I had planned on getting a the TJ07 off Anti, moving my PC into it and then watercooling it.

When moving the PC over I decided to upgrade the chipset cooler for the interim. This turned out to be a big mistake as I chipped the edge off the NB in the process thus killing the motherboard. At the same time my HT sound system (Logitech Z-5500) decided to break. So any money I was going to plough into watercooling would need to go on a replacement sound system and a new motherboard.

Well I got a new sound system, and have finally bought a new motherboard. I bought 2 other items at the same time:

I got:

Mobo: ASUS Rampage Formula skt775
    HDD: OCZ 128GB SSD (core v1)
    GFX: 4870x2 2GB

The specs of this rig are in my sig, but if that changes here they are anyway:

24" DELL E248WFP
    E8500 @ 4Ghz w/ Tuniq Tower lapped
    4GB Mushkin XP2-8000 @ 1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage Formula
    AMD 4870x2 @ 760/1800
    128GB OCZ SSD V1
    1TB Hitachi 32MB cache
    500GB Spinpoint
    Coolermaster 1kW PSU
    SATA DVD-ROM 18x
    TJ07b

New gear

IMGP5723.JPG

Close up of the OCZ HDD

IMGP5724.JPG

Size comparison beside my 1TB Hitachi PATA

IMGP5725.JPG

Both of the drives installed in the 5.25" to 3.5" bay converter

IMGP5726.JPG

The case with everything installed

IMGP5774.JPG

Side view of the Tuniq and the TR RAMsinks

IMGP5776.JPG

Top view of mobo and components

IMGP5777.JPG

IMGP5778.JPG

Rear view of case

IMGP5779.JPG

Side view with side panel window on

IMGP5780.JPG

Desk setup

IMGP5782.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

IMGP5783.JPG

For overclocking, here are the settings I currently have in place:

IMGP5786.JPG

IMGP5787.JPG

With my 4870x2 overclocked to 760/1800 I'm getting this score in 3Dmark Vantage:

Vantage: P12268 3DMarks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nice build m8, lookin good. 4Ghz is a nice oc, lovely with that little voltage.

BTW Push your PCI-E frequency to 101-2 to squeeze another few points in 3DMark without affecting temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

nice build , how are you finding the dram-feq selecotor on the asus ? for my board it wouldent work only if it was 1:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I miss that case :( Nice build though !!

Also move it a few cm awy from the wall, it will drop the temps a few degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I've pushed the CPU voltage up to 1.375v now as I was getting crashes in Crysis for some reason. It seems to of stabilized out now.

I'm really impressed with this 4870x2 though, although I'd probably need a second one to run Crysis at 1900x1200 on very high :( currently running it at everything very high with 2xAA at 1400x900 with a constant 50+ fps.

Played through Gears of War in co-op again over the LAN with a friend and it was smooth with every graphical setting maxed at 1900x1200.

• Advertisement
Advertisement