Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Communal Shower Issue

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

had the very same problem last saturday. Was in the gym, sweated buckets and was looking forward to a shower to cool down and refresh. Stripped off, wrapped the towel around my waist, put on the flip flops, grabbed the lynx and off I went. There was a 40ish man fully dressed, standing outside the communal shower with his daughter 7 or 8 yrs old showering in her togs. I stood there looking at him. He looking at me. It was obvious what I wanted to do. He looked at me again, then gave his daughter even more shower gel. I couldn't just stand there and I couldn't go in. So went back to my bench and waited. A minute or two later he came out but just then in went another girl with her father. I just put my clothes back on and went home to shower.

its a bit much to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

the_syco wrote: »
    Europeans give less of a damn, as there's no stupid catholic guilt.
    =-=
    It's catholic guilt that make so many people awkward about their bodies, .

It's more an English-speaking country / post-puritanical hang up about nudity. The British, Americans and quite a few other places hold this weird victorian fear of nudity too.

Many countries in Europe have similarly large Catholic populations to Ireland and don't have any of those hang-ups.

The British tend to try and pass off Ireland's conservative things as "catholic" when they're almost 100% in common with British notions that all stem from some kind of Victorian nuttiness.

In Victorian holiday resorts in Britain (and probably here) "Bathing Machines" were used by women. These were basically a shed on wheels that was drawn out into the water by horses !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bathing_machine

The woman stayed in side in case anyone might see her in a huge, victorian bathing suit never mind in the nipp!

The ultimate in modest bathing costumes - i.e. a small building lol

That's the kind of puritanical nonsense that our modern society (in all English-speaking countries) evolved from and we still have many of the same hang ups.

Ireland managed to convolve Victorian puritanical conservatism with Catholic conservatism which gave us a particularly oppressive version of it, but none the less it exists throughout the English-speaking world and is probably more pronounced in parts of the United States as in general Ireland and Britain (and the more liberal parts of the US) have mostly 'moved on'.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Ninap

Solair wrote: »

Ireland managed to convolve Victorian puritanical conservatism with Catholic conservatism which gave us a particularly oppressive version of it, but none the less it exists throughout the English-speaking world and is probably more pronounced in parts of the United States as in general Ireland and Britain (and the more liberal parts of the US) have mostly 'moved on'.

Nice word.. and good post

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭heffoo

The op did state that they are communal showers with lots of parents and kids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Frogeye wrote: »
    had the very same problem last saturday. Was in the gym, sweated buckets and was looking forward to a shower to cool down and refresh. Stripped off, wrapped the towel around my waist, put on the flip flops, grabbed the lynx and off I went. There was a 40ish man fully dressed, standing outside the communal shower with his daughter 7 or 8 yrs old showering in her togs. I stood there looking at him. He looking at me. It was obvious what I wanted to do. He looked at me again, then gave his daughter even more shower gel. I couldn't just stand there and I couldn't go in. So went back to my bench and waited. A minute or two later he came out but just then in went another girl with her father. I just put my clothes back on and went home to shower.

its a bit much to be honest.

I would have made my position clear to the father and if he wasnt willing to take his daugher away then I would have complained to the gym. It is a male dressing room, not a male + small girls changing room. The issue is the fathers to manage and worry about not yours. It's ignorant and rude that they are even putting people in this position in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Happens in my gym on Saturdays sometimes. Used to bother me a bit now I don't give a f*ck. So the girl sees a few dicks flying around the place big deal, it's all natural. If the dad has a problem with me having my junk out then don't bring kids in or ask for a changing cubicle, but I'm not going to change my routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Playboy wrote: »
    I would have made my position clear to the father and if he wasnt willing to take his daugher away then I would have complained to the gym. It is a male dressing room, not a male + small girls changing room. The issue is the fathers to manage and worry about not yours. It's ignorant and rude that they are even putting people in this position in the first place.

Yes I agree.

Advertisement