Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Time To End Internment - Release Marian Price and Martin Corey

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Does she have an actual biological medical condition? And it was her that refused to be moved to a female prison

source

Are they so complex they don't have a name?
    No.... she was moved to one in February after campaigning.

Severe depression, sever arthritis, lost lots or weight and as I understand it there are other things wrong with her which stem from her hungerstrike and being forcefed... she's never fully recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bonus_Pack

She suffered greatly while she was in prison in England, on hungerstrike... it has had lasting effects

This is rediculous. She has no-one to blame only herself for any health problems caused by her going on hunger strike.

It really is amazing that no matter what the problem be, republican fanboys will universally blame "d'brits".

Me: -Oh it's raining I see
    Ra head: - Ah it's the bleddy Brits, opressing us with their imperialist weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Wolfe Tone, why are you still bothering with this thread? It should have finished after the first reply really, it's a complete non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

RMD wrote: »
    Didn't say anything of the sort, care to point out where I did? I said she's a convicted terrorist who still associates with dissident Republican terrorists as demonstrated by the Easter commemoration.

I asked you what is she since you claim stating she was and still currently is a terrorist is "wilful blindness". How in anyway does that make a blanket claim of all her release supporters being RIRA supporters also.

Fenian Army I noticed you still haven't answered my reply, would you mind answering it please? It's rather immature to deliberately misconstrue statements on a forum to suit your agenda.

getzls wrote: »
    She went to a commemoration and held a sheet.

She committed no crime and the charges were dismissed.

You seem to think that attending commemorations like that one warrants being jailed... thats internment

Did she think the guy was wearing a mask to hid his bad acne? Really, i think people who want her out are eager for her to get her-self back into the murder business again.
    RMD I was talking about the reason he gave for people who want her released, which is clearly nonsense ... unless everyone calling for her release, a campaign with support from parties of every type, secretly support dissidents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

She suffered greatly while she was in prison in England, on hungerstrike... it has had lasting effects
    Not as lasting as the effects of the SFIRA terror campaign she was an intricate part of had on its innocent victims, leave her where she is as a warning to other would be terrorists!:mad:

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Not as lasting as the effects of the SFIRA terror campaign she was an intricate part of had on its innocent victims, leave her where she is as a warning to other would be terrorists!:mad:
    Anti republicans like yourself have always been intransigent, you are so blinded by your hate that you can't see that her imprisoned is the greatest propaganda coup anti GFA republicans have ever had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Anti republicans like yourself have always been intransigent, you are so blinded by your hate that you can't see that her imprisoned is the greatest propaganda coup anti GFA republicans have ever had
    How anyone with a name like yours can accuse me of hate or intransigance defies belief, the irony oh the irony!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Her imprisoned is the greatest propaganda coup anti GFA republicans have ever had

That's just it. Its as if it suits them to have a split within republicanism... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

So the terrorist should be released from prison because of the effects prison has had on her?

God they should all use that excuse, 'sorry pal I want out, I'm not well, prison doesn't suit me'.

• Advertisement

SocSocPol wrote: »
    How anyone with a name like yours can accuse me of hate or intransigance defies belief, the irony oh the irony!
    Whats wrong with my name?

Ashamed of the fenians? I'm certainly not, some of the greatest men we have seen in Ireland.

Its not a refernce to them however but a popular football chant (Paddy McCourt)

But sure keep up with the deflecting

So the terrorist should be released from prison because of the effects prison has had on her?

God they should all use that excuse, 'sorry pal I want out, I'm not well, prison doesn't suit me'.
    I see little point in engaging with you any further, you constantly spew falsehoods (she's on protest, she refused to move prison etc etc) and now you come out with glib shite like that... I've made it clear why I think she should be released.

RMD wrote:
    Didn't say anything of the sort, care to point out where I did? I said she's a convicted terrorist who still associates with dissident Republican terrorists as demonstrated by the Easter commemoration.

I asked you what is she since you claim stating she was and still currently is a terrorist is "wilful blindness". How in anyway does that make a blanket claim of all her release supporters being RIRA supporters also.
    Fenian Army I noticed you still haven't answered my reply, would you mind answering it please? It's rather immature to deliberately misconstrue statements on a forum to suit your agenda.

You've posted 4 times Fenian Army since I've quoted myself. Again care to answer my question? Seems to be typical Republican rhetoric, misconstrue a statement to suit their agenda and then ignore when called upon to explain their statement. You expect me to answer a question of yours and then ignore mine repeatedly, how childish.

You've posted 4 times Fenian Army since I've quoted myself. Again care to answer my question? Seems to be typical Republican rhetoric, misconstrue a statement to suit their agenda and then ignore when called upon to explain their statement. You expect me to answer a question of yours and then ignore mine repeatedly, how childish.
    I did, post 143, I think there has been a bit of a misunderstanding

I did, post 143, I think there has been a bit of a misunderstanding

Apologies, I didn't see my name in the quote tags so assumed you hadn't responded. My mistake.

Fantastic news today! :D

He has been released!

Martin Corey, 61, from County Armagh, is to be freed on unconditional bail.

On Monday, a judge ruled that parole commissioners breached his human rights in refusing to release him. Corey was sentenced to life in 1973 and was released on licence in 1992.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18770477
    Commenting on the decision by the High Court in Belfast to release Lurgan Republican Martin Corey, Sinn Féin Assembly member Raymond McCartney said:

“The decision by the court in Belfast today to release Lurgan man Martin Corey is a welcome move. Like in Marion Price’s case it is unacceptable that you can be imprisoned by the decision of a British Secretary of State to revoke a licence and place no evidence or proof before a court.

“Since Martin’s arrest Sinn Féin have been to the fore in demanding his release. We have visited Martin on a regular basis and raised his case repeatedly with the British and Irish governments.

“The British government now need to end the pursuit of Martin Corey and drop any further attempts to intern him in the way they have.”

It's now clear that the British authorities namely the secretary of state and his lackeys in the parole board have no qualms about once again disregarding Irish peoples human rights in order to imprison them, the battle isn't over however as I'm fully expecting them to concoct some other tenuous reason to imprison him - the thinking caps will be on no doubt seen as this time they will actually have to give a reason.

A welcome victory for human rights and justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Martin Corey thread merged with existing thread on prisoners. No point having 2 threads on related topics.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Who messed up my threads?

This thread is about Marian Price

Who messed up my threads?

This thread is about Marian Price

Read the post above your last reply. 2 threads on the first page on one specific issue, is a bit of an overkill. This forum isn't a blog site for you to use about Republican prisoners. Any issues, pm a mod as you should well know.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Didnt see the post, thought just my post about him being released had been moved... mea cupla.

PM sent

• Advertisement

Title and OP edited to add Martin Corey.

“The British government now need to end the pursuit of Martin Corey and drop any further attempts to intern him in the way they have.”

Why?

'The judge found that the open evidence did not advance the Northern Ireland Secretary's case against Corey, meaning that the decision was solely based on closed material.'

So presuming there is some sensitive intelligence-based operational impediment to the disclosure of this material I say keep gathering evidence on this double-murdering terrorist sympathiser. What weight of evidence must they produce to show he is associating with dissidents? I mean you can stand holding hate speech surrounded by them in balaclavas while being secretary of their political wing and that's still not evidence enough for some people.

I think with the vast majority of people in Britain and Ireland accepting the GFA, terrorist sympathisers and those who wish to oppose the political process so be pursued to their deaths* by both the Irish and British governments.

*I'm not advocating hangings or execution squads, I'm saying they should be pursued regardless of age or well-being.

I think that if they do something which is a crime and they can be prosecuted for it then thats the way it should be done. If they have committed no crimes then they should be left alone.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

People are entitled to opinions and political beliefs, they shouldn't be jailed over them.

Nor should, as has happened, their human rights be violated and be jailed without trial.

I see little point in engaging with you any further, you constantly spew falsehoods (she's on protest, she refused to move prison etc etc) and now you come out with glib shite like that... I've made it clear why I think she should be released.

Then why bring up her health?

Your point is she should be released because you don't like her being in prison, because you mistakenly interpret it as internment rather than it being due to her blatant breach of the terms of her release. It was reported at the time of her release that it was on licence - a cursory search for the type of conditions that apply to release on licence will show that you end back up in prison for breaches to these conditions.

What are the conditions?
    Prisoners serving an indeterminate sentence (Life/IPP) have an additional condition placed on their licence as standard where the licence was issued after 16 May 2005. This is as follows:
    • He/she shall be well behaved and not do anything which could undermine the purposes of supervision on licence which are to protect the public, by ensuring that their safety would not be placed at risk, and to secure his/her successful reintegration into the community.
    How will the prisoner know what their licence conditions are?
    • The prisoner will get a copy of their licence before they leave the prison. The licence will tell them of all the conditions they must meet and will inform them of when they should report to the probation office managing their licence.
    What happens if the offender breaks the terms of their licence?
    • If an offender breaks the terms and conditions of their licence then they may be recalled to prison immediately, or depending on the circumstances, the offender might get a warning the first or second time they break the conditions of their licence. If the offender breaches their licence for a third time they will be recalled to prison.
    How long will they be on licence for?
    • Life sentenced prisoners will be on licence for the rest of their life. source

I think that if they do something which is a crime and they can be prosecuted for it then thats the way it should be done. If they have committed no crimes then they should be left alone.

I don't think that's unreasonable.

For God's Sake how many times does this need to be repeated??

They are not in prison for committing a crime - they are back in prison to complete the sentence for the original crime BECAUSE they breached the terms of their licence (this breach does not need to be a crime)

After 2005...

Do you know what the conditions were?

I believe she was released on license, then received a royal pardon which has mysteriously vanished.

Regardless, not being involved in politics is hardly a condition of her license, real or not, or she would have been imprisoned decades ago.

Her health is also a factor... do you think it would be a good thing for her to die in jail? A new martyr? I'm struggling to think of anything more damaging to the peace process then that. (I'm not saying more violence but certainly a withdrawal from political institutions)

Why?

'The judge found that the open evidence did not advance the Northern Ireland Secretary's case against Corey, meaning that the decision was solely based on closed material.'

So presuming there is some sensitive intelligence-based operational impediment to the disclosure of this material I say keep gathering evidence on this double-murdering terrorist sympathiser. What weight of evidence must they produce to show he is associating with dissidents? I mean you can stand holding hate speech surrounded by them in balaclavas while being secretary of their political wing and that's still not evidence enough for some people.

I think with the vast majority of people in Britain and Ireland accepting the GFA, terrorist sympathisers and those who wish to oppose the political process so be pursued to their deaths* by both the Irish and British governments.

*I'm not advocating hangings or execution squads, I'm saying they should be pursued regardless of age or well-being.
    I believe that the licensing system is being abused and licenses are being selectively revoked in order to silence political dissent via internment. No political figure should have the power to imprison people on a whim.

Do you agree with Martin Coreys human rights being violated in order to have him jailed? I was scoffed at for saying his rights had been ignored, now what do you say?

Its' clear at this stage that we will simply not agree, shall we keep going around in circles?

After 2005...

Do you know what the conditions were?

There are six standard conditions for prisoners serving determinate sentences i.e. a custodial sentence with a fixed length. The prisoner should:
    • Behave appropriately and not commit further offences or undertake any activity that may undermine their attempts to resettle in the community.
    • Maintain contact with their supervising probation officer and do what is asked of them.
    • Allow their supervising probation officer to visit them at home if they need to.
    • Live at an address approved by their probation officer and keep them informed of any changes of address (even if only for one night).
    • Only do work, paid or unpaid, that has been approved by their probation officer and keep them notified of any changes in employment.
    • Not travel outside of the United Kingdom. (Travel outside of the United Kingdom will only be granted in certain circumstances and then only very rarely).
    Prisoners serving an indeterminate sentence (Life/IPP) have an additional condition placed on their licence as standard where the licence was issued after 16 May 2005. This is as follows: see above

I believe she was released on license, then received a royal pardon which has mysteriously vanished.

Link to media reports of this, or better still produce the document. Like I said this was likely applied to the 20 yr sentence (to avoid some technicality) and doesn't override the licence for her life sentence.
    Regardless, not being involved in politics is hardly a condition of her license, real or not, or she would have been imprisoned decades ago.

Reading hate speeches in a cemetery with men in balaclavas is closer to fetishism than politics. Many Price opposes the SF political route.
    Her health is also a factor... do you think it would be a good thing for her to die in jail?

Yes.
    A new martyr? I'm struggling to think of anything more damaging to the peace process then that. (I'm not saying more violence but certainly a withdrawal from political institutions)

Her death wouldn't damage the peace process. She is a nobody when it comes to the peace process, she wasn't involved in it. The people looking for an excuse to damage the peace process would be the offending culprits.

A withdrawal from political institutions by who?

Its' clear at this stage that we will simply not agree, shall we keep going around in circles?

As long as you keep intimating their piousness I'll be here to highlight their atrocities, their lack of remorse, their dissent to the political peace process and how deserved they are of long spells in prison.

• Advertisement

If a republican who SF claim should be released, who claim she is interned unjustly, died in jail then something would have to give. It would take major political moves at senior levels to prevent a mass walk out of SF members.

I'm a member of SF and I fully support the GFA. I don't support Marian Price's political opinions or any political group which opposes the GFA. However if a republican like Marian Price or Martin Corey, or Gerry McGeough died because of their imprisonment I would seriously question participation in the political institutions. Whats they point if republicas are still being interned and dying in British jails?

The fact that you want her dead in jail confirms for me, you intransigence.

The single largest threat to the peace process is the situation in the jails. I fully expect that if things keep going the way they are we will have a hunger strike on our hands in a few years. That would be devastating.

And it would all be because of stupidity, it's all easily preventable.

Try to see the larger picture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement