Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Derek (Ricky Gervais and Karl Pilkington Sitcom)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71,590 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

New series begins this Wednesday at 10pm on Channel 4...http://www.channel4.com/programmes/derek

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Just judging by the first episode of the new series..

I have to say.. it's been a long time since a comedy-drama (dramedy?) felt so refreshing.

It's very funny, and yet sad and uplifting in equal measures. That plus it's full of great performances.

Pilkington is bloody great in it too!

Oh, and some of the writing is sublime:

"If I'm autistic - would it change me? Would it kill me? Would I be a different person? 'No'... Then leave it."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Seriously. What was that? Carl was the only decent thing about Derek & I barely managed a chuckle for that. Infact ill stop there. It aint worth the effort to type my opinion any further.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I thought the pilot was better overall but its still good. Derek refusing to be tested was brilliant. What would be the point of knowing? What difference would it make?

Well that's me sorted for Wednesday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I really enjoyed it. Karl was great. Loved the comment about throwing the neighbours wife in the skip.

Think I'll series link it on sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Really enjoyed it. The pet therapy aspect was sweet. Good to see Karl try his hand at acting, he's excellent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Watching this again.
    Not sure what to make of it tbh.
    Wondering where it's going.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

I think this is excellent. Funny yet endearing. Really looking forward to next episode. Gervais has done it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's good, I enjoyed it, but something about it does feel a little safe. Whereas The Office had heart without ever being sentimental, this comes across a little too strong in trying to elicit emotion, eg the sad piano music.

I think they should have focused more on the humour, and the interplay of the characters, and been a bit more subtle in their message.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Must watch this. Is Karl playing Karl!? I think it would have been great to turn the tables by having Ricky play an idiot and Karl a relatively normal chap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

Agricola wrote: »
    Must watch this. Is Karl playing Karl!? I think it would have been great to turn the tables by having Ricky play an idiot and Karl a relatively normal chap!

Ricky is playing an idiot but a kind, warm hearted idiot. Karl is just Karl from an idiot abroad which is weird but funny at the same time.

nbar12 wrote: »
    Ricky is playing an idiot but a kind, warm hearted idiot. Karl is just Karl from an idiot abroad which is weird but funny at the same time.

Karl's character is very different though. I think as the series progresses he will deviate a lot from his previous "roles"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

just watched the first epsiode, enjoyed Karls character but Gervais is awful.
    I might try another one or 2 and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Tadpole Hitler!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

On tonight

Didn't make much of that episode to be honest. A bit too much music along with montages considering its only 25 mins long

Grimebox wrote: »
    Didn't make much of that episode to be honest. A bit too much music along with montages considering its only 25 mins long
    Yeah.. agreed!

Also, the chavvy probation worker with the heart of gold was more than a bit clichéd.

To be honest, I would have preferred it if they went the other way and although she warmed to those in the home, she still saw it as just community service.. and didn't go back after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 thelungs

I for one think it is very good... too many people started watching expecting it to be along the lines of Office/Extras...... it goes far beyond that. Ricky’s acting is excellent, its only funny in a sweet non derogatory way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

ALOT of people kissing Gervais arse on twitter... People saying they have watched an episode 3 or 4 times. Nonsense. It aint that good and its hard to sit through 1 episode never mind watching it twice.

What relevance to the character is it that Gervais has to put on that face anyway?

Im a huge fan of the office,extras,his stand ups AIA... Etc... But this Derek is brutal. And hes saying its the best piece of work he has done in his opinion....

Not me..

ALOT of people kissing Gervais arse on twitter... People saying they have watched an episode 3 or 4 times. Nonsense. It aint that good and its hard to sit through 1 episode never mind watching it twice.

What relevance to the character is it that Gervais has to put on that face anyway?

Im a huge fan of the office,extras,his stand ups AIA... Etc... But this Derek is brutal. And hes saying its the best piece of work he has done in his opinion....

Not me..

I worked with people with autism for a while and the vast majority of them have ticks like this

• Advertisement

Much better this week IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

squonk wrote: »
    More of the same for Gervaise. Crappy comedy with an A lister (Connery) thrown in so you can watch the thing without feeling completely cheated. The Office was genuinely brilliant but everything else since then has been rubbish. I wish he'd go away at this point.

Can't agree....Extras was brill and Derek is a hoot .I bet if you give them a chance they'll grow on you.....and I dislike Gervais in person but he's a clever sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 94Conor

Karl's character is funny. Ricky's character is just uncomfortable to watch... he plays the character terribly imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Immense episode tonight. Gervais is nearing Office-like levels at times - unflinchingly blending the drama and comedy. Tonight was the best-rounded for both since the pilot.

When Derek said, "I'd rather be sad so others wouldn't have to," I let out a big man sob. Karl is excellent at dressing down people too ("**** off! It's not as if you need the jewellery anyway, Mr T!").

On a serious note, the show also gets across its point well without lecturing the audience either, which would be easy to do. Gervais doesn't always get it right, but when he does it's in a different league to most television drama/comedy we see today.

Between that and Monday's Black Mirror, that's twice I've been blown away by British TV in a few days.

I really enjoyed this last night. I found myself laughing at the not so obvious jokes throughout. My favourite bit had to be when Derek came in asking for some McDonalds almost immediately.

The biggest problem I have is that alcoholic guy. I don't get him at all. You can predict what he's going to say and when he's going to come in.

I was expecting an applause after Dougie's speech, was that in the pilot? It seemed very familiar

I was expecting an applause after Dougie's speech, was that in the pilot? It seemed very familiar
    Yep, thought it the same.

It might have been in the 'Making Of' either... did you watch that as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

He gave a similar enough speech to the council people when they took away funding?

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, thought it the same.

It might have been in the 'Making Of' either... did you watch that as well?

There are very few Gervais/Merchant/Pilkington related stuff I haven't seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Massive Gervais fan.... Office, Extras, Standups, podcasts but I just can't get into this. I wanted to like it but I just can't. It's kind of depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Shane St. wrote: »
    Massive Gervais fan.... Office, Extras, Standups, podcasts but I just can't get into this. I wanted to like it but I just can't. It's kind of depressing

Im a fan myself but I cant even bring myself to watch the 2nd and 3rd episode. Its pure tat. Someone mentioned earlier that he receives alot of praise on twitter but Ricky doesn't re-tweet the neg comments.

Advertisement