Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does it cost to plant forestry

• 27-01-2012 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

I know this is probably a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I was just wondering if someone could give me a rough price per acre to re-plant forestry.
    This is my fathers land, that was previously planted. I think it was Norway Spruce or Scots pine that was last on the land. It was harvested last year.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

perhaps you could post this again in the forestry section, I think a ballpark is about 5k/ha, open to correction though.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    Moved to the Forestry sub-forum.
    [/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭dipper.meath16

hi,
    For Conifers your looking at 2500 trees per hectare or 3300 for broadleaves. However the price will depend on age, species and availability for nursery!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

Apart from the cost of seedlings, whips, (whatever you want to call them), does anyone know the cost to actually plant the trees, per acre or per hectare?

On good, flat agricultural ground; a stubble field, for example, what would it cost to plant a hectare of broadleaf trees? Anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

I know this is probably a 'how long is a piece of string' question, but I was just wondering if someone could give me a rough price per acre to re-plant forestry.
    This is my fathers land, that was previously planted. I think it was Norway Spruce or Scots pine that was last on the land. It was harvested last year.
    Thanks

somewhere between €800-€1500 per acre....usually works out around €1200 methinks. best thing you can do is ring a forester and see if they'll come out an have a look and qoute a price...... it think you might be better off going the forester route rather than a forestry company because the company mightnt want to let you do some of the work yourself which could be a good moneysaver for you

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

jeffwode wrote: »
    Apart from the cost of seedlings, whips, (whatever you want to call them), does anyone know the cost to actually plant the trees, per acre or per hectare?

On good, flat agricultural ground; a stubble field, for example, what would it cost to plant a hectare of broadleaf trees? Anyone know?

you should be going down the grant route IMO if your planting agri ground. OP is on about replanting forestry ground. for the situation you described it could be possible to plant for less than €1000/acre (€2500/hectare)

Advertisement