Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Has anybody got the dimensions for installing a Geocast beam?

The instructions online mention a template but there's no details of this template given. I've tried emailing and phoning a few suppliers but crazily nobody has this info! Have made a call to the UK but they were on lunch. I have studs 114cm apart and want to know if I'll be able to use them, or if there area enough fixing to secure it to plasterboard directly. I wanted to get a 54' beam.

The only info in instructions is:

Any help appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 javiercarrillo

I have been quoted 3800 eur for a 5kw wood stove + installation. It seems a bit high to me, considering that the price of the stove is EUR ~600.

Is that normal? There’s no existing fireplace/chimney in the room, so maybe adding a vertical flue adds that much to the cost?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Shop around it sounds like you went to an expensive supplier. A 4KW Insert should cost no more than 1k and at that you be getting top.of the range. After that with an existing chimney a couple of grand should cover it.

I think stove suppliers have so many orders at present they are quoting prices that will frighten buyers off. If the accept the price it a job worth doing.

I think people need to shop around to find a handy man capable of fitting the stove. Its about a day's work. Hardest part with no chimney is the exit out through the roof but it's not rocket science

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Just an update on mine. I visited a different supplier today.

Quoted €3,300 to do all works including disconnect gas, remove gas fire, cassette stove (Vitae 5K plus new Heat Design fireplace, granite hearth and backplate) and any chimney work (subject to sit survey) If I want the same in a free standing stove with brick chamber, its approx €5K. They have a waiting list till next year. They also told me that there is a problem with supplies (like everything at the moment) and that the stove suppliers have a backlog.

I know people are saying find a good handyman.....you won't find a good handyman in this economy, certainly not in Dublin or surrounding areas - they booked out.

Supplier is years in business, very reputable and happy to stand over their work.

Can I just say this is a very helpful thread for those who are not experts, thank you very much for sharing your knowledge, it is much appreciate.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Simon201

Just got a stove installed into a newly made alcove, all is great and my installers have left it 'paint ready'. Can anyone recommend the paint I should use? Like could I use some kind of radiator paint?

Ta

• Advertisement

Any radiator pair will be have a gloss or satin effect. I cannot see why you cannot use ordinary paint

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Simon201

Thanks Bass, I was wondering about the heat aspect I guess and how that might affect whatever paint I used...

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭slystallone

In relation to riddling grates , I need a new one as its cracked - and no idea what model of stove it is. Whats best option here? I was thinking of getting a replacement one thats as close to the same dimensions as one I had. At least it would cover the gap even if not actually rotating.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,175 ✭✭✭✭jm08

I have an alcove stove and I just use regular emulsion that is used in rest of room. The paint I used is Colortrend and its there about 5 years now with no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭ULMarc

[deleted, all good]

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Sitamoia

My flue is cracked, what's the best substance to fill the crack with as a temporary fix until we can get the new part fitted? Vertical and horizontal cracks. Heres the pics

There is a flexible high temp fire cement you can get it comes in a tube. Got it in a dairygold shop 18 months ago

Something like this

https://www.vitcas.com/prd/cty/high-temperature-sealants

Slava Ukrainii

Thank you. I'll get that or similar.

Did you have the same issue with yours?

No it was a flue issue at back of stove I had to seal

Slava Ukrainii

Cool. I'll try that cement and let ya know

If you can get a bit of glasswool and pull a very small piece like a virtual few hairs. Use this with the silicified cement it should help to get it to stay in place. You need to read the directions I think it needs 24 hours to set and then a few small fires to get it to harden right.

That looks like a vitreous enamel finish. It looks like a bit of a botch job first day they have 2 what are normally outlets stacked on each other. You probably need to completely redo the flue setup

Slava Ukrainii

Ya they fecked it up alright. The flue is at a slight angle too so it kinda separates at the top joint just before the elbow type part.

Will upload pics soon and show you what I mean

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dirtysoldman

What fuel is being burnt in most solid fuel stoves with a back boiler,I'm not getting much heat out of my stove with the fuel I'm using and it's burning twice ad much as last year,I wish I could still buy petrocoke but the greens put a stop to that

Mostly dry wood. When weather got really cold we used a bit of smokeless ovoids. Wood is mostly well dried leylandii type at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

Hi, dumb question alert any advice would be appreciated please:

We have a hunter herald boiler stove in the kitchen, and I'd like to replace it with a 35kw Senko central heating cooker - apparently it can heat over 20 rads very well along with cooking, it has excellent reviews.

However the flue we have exiting the Herald and up the chimney is approx 230mm and the Senko cooker only requires a 150mm flue. Can a connector flue be got to link to the chimney where we have a 230mm flexi flue, and does it need to be 150mm flue all the way up the chimney too?

We have tiling all around where the curved stove flue joins the chimney breast so I'm also wondering if we'll have to break the tiles and start all over again if we want to get this cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Deregos.

We love the heat from it, but we're getting fed up of the dust caused by our stove and are looking for advice on whether it's feasible to get our double sided, fuel burning stove, converted to run on cleaner, bottled gas instead?

Or would we be better off just having a new gas stove fitted?

More modern gas fires have controlled venting on them. Changing you stove to gas will leave you with an inefficient heat source.

Using gas as a heat source is only possible where you are on mains gas. I would not know what option you have with larger gas heating options

Looking at you stove and the fire in it are you using a lot of coal. I imagine it's heating a large open plan area. Coal can tend to burn out stoves, in that the seals and gasket rope goes. Maybe replace your fire rope through out the stove.

If you wanted a cleaner option I would look into a wood pellet stove

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 17 popand

I got a quotation of 1990 Eur for a 7kW Henley Arklow installed in my existing open fire. The price consists of

7kW insert stove + black metal ornamental surround (existing one will be removed to make space for the stove) + flue kit + insulation + labour

How does the price look like? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 33 snowdaisy

Try taking a photo, crop it to show just the stove, then use Google lens to find similar images online.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭hometruths

I have a boiler stove, pretty sure it is a closed system - my basic understanding would be the same water recirculates around the system. Is that correct?

Reason I ask is our water is off, so no water pressure in house and am wondering is it safe to light the stove? Any advice much appreciated!

Yes it is safe to light the stove. The water system for your heating is totally separate to your domestic water supply. It has a separate tank that is it reserve. This tank can o ly drain into your heating system.

Unless the water was off long-term ( weeks and months rather than days)it's not an issue

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭hometruths

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,901 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Can anyone shed any light on why one side of my stove glass always gets covered in soot, whereas the other side stays clean? It happens no matter what we burn - ovoids, kiln dried logs, briquettes, turf - all ends up the same. I had the door re-roped to see if that helped and new glass installed but no difference. It's a Stanley Erin boiler stove. Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

Even when I use the air wash function it won't clear it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Ours was doing that for a while, then it stopped doing it when we had the chimney cleaned.

Advertisement