Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Viber Megathread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Hi @Notorious97
    This is a member of the Viber Development Team.

Regarding your question - Viber calls and texts are made between any 2 users who have Viber installed and are connected to the internet.
    Even if you turn off your roaming when going abroad, you can still connect to a local WiFi hotspot and use Viber for absolutely free (thus making a free international call). Same goes for Viber text messages.

If you try calling someone who doesn't have Viber installed, you will be offered to switch to make a regular cellular call (could be expensive), in other words Viber offers you to switch to your regular iPhone app.

I hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Notorious97

Thanks Naasrd & Viber, solved all my questions perfectly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Excellent app, Being using it for a while and I love it. Will really move up to another level when the android version goes live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Dunny2010

I agree, I currently use it for the iPhone and when the current Android goes live this will be great! Do you know when this is due to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Viber wrote: »
    Hi @Notorious97
    This is a member of the Viber Development Team.

Regarding your question - Viber calls and texts are made between any 2 users who have Viber installed and are connected to the internet.
    Even if you turn off your roaming when going abroad, you can still connect to a local WiFi hotspot and use Viber for absolutely free (thus making a free international call). Same goes for Viber text messages.

If you try calling someone who doesn't have Viber installed, you will be offered to switch to make a regular cellular call (could be expensive), in other words Viber offers you to switch to your regular iPhone app.

I hope this helps :)

I was in Spain recently & used it to call home to my wife's iPhone via a free wireless hotspot (which coincidentally was a very nice bar serving chilled beer :pac:) - worked perfectly & didnt cost me a cent

• Advertisement

@Danny
    Unfortunately we don't have an exact estimate yet.
    Some bugs are still out there and our testers are reporting them and helping us fixing them.
    Only once these bugs are all gone and the app runs smoothly will we release it officially to Market.

@Andip
    Good to hear. We've heard some reports of problematic 3G connections in Spain that caused Viber to be a little choppy, so it's good to hear it was clear and smoothly working.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Andip wrote: »
    I was in Spain recently & used it to call home to my wife's iPhone via a free wireless hotspot (which coincidentally was a very nice bar serving chilled beer :pac:) - worked perfectly & didnt cost me a cent

Apart from the 15 pints needed to "oil the vocal chords"?:D

Hi all,

A message only to those of you who are already testing our Beta version of Android:
    A new beta version has just been released - 2.0.108226.

What's new?
    - GSM interruption problem has been resolved, and other bug fixes.
    - Notification icon is back, and optional this time.
    - Battery consumption has been improved.
    - Viber is now integrated into Android's main contact list.
    - Synchronization of Viber contacts has been improved

Download it here: www.viber.com/download
    Please make sure to report bugs here: http://blog.viber.com/viber-beta-support

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

only 8 contacts show up. There should be 50+. Logged in support but my phone the HTC Sensatation is not in the list

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Is Viber actually an official rep for the Viber app?

Is Viber an Irish company/app?

Anyways, would be great if you added an option of sharing pictures, map locations and audio messages like WhatsApp does.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Not an Irish company, 'Viber' is a Viber employee responsible for online engagement etc afaik

CyberGhost wrote: »
    Is Viber actually an official rep for the Viber app?

Is Viber an Irish company/app?

Anyways, would be great if you added an option of sharing pictures, map locations and audio messages like WhatsApp does.

Yes.
    No.
    Planned in our next big iPhone version. Stay tuned :)

Hi all,

A message only to those of you who are already testing our Beta version for Android:
    A new beta version has just been released - 2.0.109054.

What's new?
    - Specific device improvements and bug fixes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Aargh...

Just got an iphone and want to download viber so that I can ring home but i just learned that you need to register with itunes to download the app even though the app is free.

I have installed itunes on my laptop but don't have a visa or mastercard. I only have Maestro. Yet again Maestro proves useless.

Is there any way around this?

Hi all,

A message only to those of you who are already testing our Beta version for Android:
    A new beta version has just been released - 2.0.109054.

What's new?
    - Specific device improvements and bug fixes

kraggy wrote: »
    Aargh...

Just got an iphone and want to download viber so that I can ring home but i just learned that you need to register with itunes to download the app even though the app is free.

I have installed itunes on my laptop but don't have a visa or mastercard. I only have Maestro. Yet again Maestro proves useless.

Is there any way around this?

No need for credit card details, since as you said yourself - the app is completely free.
    Enter AppStore through your iPhone and register for a free Apple account. After you do that, you'll be able to enter your credentials and download any free app you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Phew, thanks for that Viber.

Didn't think you could do it that way as you can't do it on itunes.

So, just downloaded Viber. It's a new phone so there weren't any contacts for Viber to import. So, do I have to manually add contacts to viber or will viber automatically import any contacts that I add to phone contacts list?

Also, do you have to have viber running all the time to receive calls and messages? Does this not use battery? I thought that if you have an app running in the background, it uses memory and therefore battery, no?

Thanks again.

Yes, each contact you add to your iPhone contact list should automatically be imported to your Viber list, and there it is checked whether or not that contact has Viber installed.

About the battery consumption - we actually recommend our users NOT to shut down Viber. Basically, it should receive calls + texts even when shut off (using Push Notifications), but since Push Notifications themselves eat up battery and not 100% reliable, it disrupts Viber's functionality.

Hi all,

Recently we have received some complaints from Irish users about Viber numbers that weren't recognized.
    The users who contacted us told us that they originally saved the numbers like this: 07903XXXXXX or 07901XXXXXX

We were wondering what does this 07X prefix mean in Ireland. They also gave us numbers that looked like this: 0750XXXXXXX, 0770XXXXXXX, etc.

Your help is appreciated so we can perfect our numbering system for Ireland :)

Cheers,
    Viber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

As far as I'm aware those look like the prefixes for landline phones.

The mobile (cellular) phone networks in Ireland all have either 083,085,086 or 087 prefixes, followed by 7 numbers, so 10 numbers in all.

Landlines can vary wildly with prefixes and be between 7 and 8 numbers in length

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 5,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭culabula

Hi all,

Recently we have received some complaints from Irish users about Viber numbers that weren't recognized.
    The users who contacted us told us that they originally saved the numbers like this: 07903XXXXXX or 07901XXXXXX

We were wondering what does this 07X prefix mean in Ireland. They also gave us numbers that looked like this: 0750XXXXXXX, 0770XXXXXXX, etc.

Cheers,
    Viber.

Somebody's got something wrong somewhere as these look exactly like UK numbers.

Irish mobile numbers are far simpler: they all begin 08 and are variously 083, 085, 086, 087 and 089.

There are non-geographical numbers that begin 07.

Thanks for the quick replies!

It seems as though those users added 07X in front of their legitimate landline numbers.

Oh well, maybe it means nothing and they don't even know why THEY added it themselves ;)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

Hi all,

Cheers,
    Viber.

Would those users be from Northern Ireland? That would explain the 07x prefix

Hi all,

We have been working hard in the past several weeks on a first version of Viber on Blackberry, and we are now excited to give you a first look.
    You can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=225894684118044&set=a.159436647430515.31697.121349544572559&type=1&ref=nf

In addition, I'd like to announce that we are at the very final stages of the closed-group Beta project, and will soon make the Beta version public!

For more info feel free to ask me here and make sure you follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/viber

Thanks,
    Viber.

Hi all,

We have been working hard in the past several weeks on a first version of Viber on Blackberry, and we are now excited to give you a first look.
    You can find it here: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=225894684118044&set=a.159436647430515.31697.121349544572559&type=1&ref=nf

In addition, I'd like to announce that we are at the very final stages of the closed-group Beta project, and will soon make the Beta version public!

For more info feel free to ask me here and make sure you follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/viber

Thanks,
    Viber.

Hi all,

In addition, I'd like to announce that we are at the very final stages of our Viber-for-Android closed-group Beta project, and will soon make the Beta version public!

Thanks,
    Viber.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Viber,

This has turned into more of an announcement / support thread now so I'm gonna move it over to Apple Media Devices.

Not sure if the mods there want to merge it with an existing thread or what.. but it'd be better served there.

Thanks for letting me know.
    Are you moving this thread to any specific existing thread?
    If so, would you be kind enough as to post the link to that existing thread (so I'll monitor it and stop updating this thread's users).

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Yippee viber. Thanks for letting us know :D

• Advertisement

And another message - only to those of you who are already testing our Beta version:
    A new Beta version has just been released - 2.0.110292.

What's new?
    - Proximity Sensor during calls
    - Bluetooth support
    - Other specific device improvements and bug fixes

Advertisement