Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Has the M9 services opened where Applegreen were due to go. Notice CircleK have it so take it they won the court case?

Edit - Opened 25 Oct.

Sadly so, would have much preferred an Applegreen (due to Burger King)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Decent setup to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

New services near Kilcullen are a boon- it’s almost effectively half way for me to Dublin from Kilkenny- Paulstown and Carlow were always too close for me to bother stopping at too often. Seemed very busy both evenings I’ve visited- especially full truck park. I think they’ll do well there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Sully wrote: »
    Decent setup to be fair.

100% however my point is the country seems to be saturated with Circle K, an Applegreen would have been nice for some variety.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

100% however my point is the country seems to be saturated with Circle K, an Applegreen would have been nice for some variety.

Yeah well it didn't help they bought two petrol chains so they're that bit more widespread.

I actually prefer the traditional shops/hot counters from the likes of the ones you see in smaller stations or Texaco. Not overly a fan of Circkle K and Applegreen isn't overly better either

• Advertisement

Yeah well it didn't help they bought two petrol chains so they're that bit more widespread.

I actually prefer the traditional shops/hot counters from the likes of the ones you see in smaller stations or Texaco. Not overly a fan of Circkle K and Applegreen isn't overly better either

The food offering in both has a very mass produced pre packaged made factory feel to it - which is understandable I suppose but the prices are gourmet level!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

some areas are saturated with applegreen :) - I've just moved to Carragh, have to drop herself off to sallins train station and work in Kilcullen and pass 4 different applegreens each day, 2 maxols and 1 circle k :)

But yes, they are many more sites that the other main players and the garish red stands out too.

365 Circle K in republic of Ireland (50 in NI)

190 applegreen

219 Top Oil (mostly independents)

130 Maxol in republic of Ireland (100 in NI)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Anyone know why the street lights are off at most of the junctions on the M9, from Jnct 4 Castledermot all the way to Waterford?

coastwatch wrote: »
    Anyone know why the street lights are off at most of the junctions on the M9, from Jnct 4 Castledermot all the way to Waterford?

Same on most motorways now, there no longer lighting up every junction. Just some of the major ones

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Same on most motorways now, there no longer lighting up every junction. Just some of the major ones

Is it for energy saving?
    Strange that some of the National roads at the M9 junctions are lit up, but not the M9 motorway iteslf, eg. Junctions 4&5 , Castledermot and Carlow
    I think it would be safer if those junctions were lit up on the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Nuphor

Heard Applegreen have started work on the Mullinavat services station!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nuphor wrote: »

That's good news, thanks for the update. Any indication of how long it will take before it's open?

Seriously ? Didn’t even know there was one planned to go ahead there? There’s a desperate need for services between Kilkenny and Waterford- there is nowhere literally- Bar offline to the Centra station in Knocktopher which is well off the motorway to bother and probably not open as early/late. Nothing much at the Waterford end either bar that one off the old road - is that even open still?
    So this is very welcome and will do well.

fricatus wrote: »
    That's good news, thanks for the update. Any indication of how long it will take before it's open?

They usually fly up as they’re Lego block kind of set designs. My guess would be late autumn next all going well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

road_high wrote: »
    They usually fly up as they’re Lego block kind of set designs. My guess would be late autumn next all going well?

Any idea where it'll be as the footprint for MSAs is quite big?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

tonc76 wrote: »

It's literally on top of the flyover and about 50m down on the mullinavat side. Fairly big site. Probably same size as paulstown

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It got permission in 2017, so it's been a while coming. It's the empty site in the middle of this, where I think they had some kind of site office or yard during motorway construction.

xzudfLa.jpg

And this is what they are planning, or what they initially asked for back then anyway
    Permission for the development of a 24 hour opening Motorway Service Area to include: 1. Vehicle fuelling station with 12 no. bays and a 2 bay HGV fuelling station with canopy; 2. A single storey services building with canopy including: convenience store (incorporation full off sales for the sale of alcohol) (100m2); food court with cafe and restaurant uses, including take away facilities; indoor play area; offices and reception with tourist information; public toilet changing and shower facilities; plant room; storage and associated services; 3. A single storey roofed enclosure attached to the rear of the services building and associated yard for storage and services; and 4. External facilities and works include picnic, play, amenity and rest areas; bicycle parking; car and HGV parking spaces, electrical vehicle charging points; upgrading of existing vehicular entrance from the R704, signage, on site waste water treatment system, including percolation area and all associated site development works

Anyone know whats going in there? Will it be like Paulstown services with Burger King, Costa, Subway etc?

Should be, yeah.

tonc76 wrote: »

The site it’s on was used by Ascon (now BAM) as their site compound when building the road over a decade ago now.

• Advertisement

Road back open by the site now, was closed for a few weeks. They've demolished several walls of properties on the road up from Mullinavat to the motorway in order to widen that pretty tight road (especially where the old station house is). Didn't get any pictures.

Road back open by the site now, was closed for a few weeks. They've demolished several walls of properties on the road up from Mullinavat to the motorway in order to widen that pretty tight road (especially where the old station house is). Didn't get any pictures.

Has construction of the services started?

road_high wrote: »
    Has construction of the services started?

Ground works seem to have started

Anyone got updates on the M9 Mullinavat services?

Nothing happening there when I stopped by a few weeks ago.

Been quiet since they widened the road a few months back. Haven't seen them start to clear the site yet, but hopefully soon.

Drove by the Mullinavat services location there myself a few days ago. Complete tumbleweed.

Yea, passed by a few months ago and nothing! I thought they were actually under construction. Dire need for somewhere between Kilkenny and Waterford in my opinion. There’s three services on the northern half of the road. Let’s hope it starts soon.

• Advertisement

Interesting!

The permission from 2017 must have lapsed, or else they just wanted to bring it up to the latest and greatest standard. But I'm betting that the first woman to walk on the moon will have done so by the time this place opens!

Advertisement