Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M7 Motorway (general thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

How can you say "the figures were not counted right"? The data is collected via Automatic Traffic Counters. It is not an error. It is a published figure. The fact that you dispute it becuase you happen to drive the road once a week does not give you the authority to reject the figure. Then again when you can count 1000 tractors using a road per day then you must be some sort of rainman. Traffic levels would appear to be down for the AADT's that were experienced in 2008 and in 2007.

Until the full data for 2009 is collated I'd suggest you stop thumping the keyboard with your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

The figure given is for February 2009 - not 2008. And it's viable to compare it with other February 2009 figures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

How can you say "the figures were not counted right"? The data is collected via Automatic Traffic Counters. It is not an error. It is a published figure. The fact that you dispute it becuase you happen to drive the road once a week does not give you the authority to reject the figure. Then again when you can count 1000 tractors using a road per day then you must be some sort of rainman. Traffic levels would appear to be down for the AADT's that were experienced in 2008 and in 2007.

Until the full data for 2009 is collated I'd suggest you stop thumping the keyboard with your head.

Again I hate to be blunt and show that I'[m right YET AGAIN.

The automated counters don't always count it right. It can be down for a few days. Sometimes some months are left out. Sometimes they didnt record the H.G.v Traffic on it. The power could be down or whatever.

It could be any number of reasons.

For example they could make the road one lane for a few days and mean that the road counter is down. There could be diversion. Or it just could be an error.

It has happened before. Where the counter was down and towards the end of the yaar it was corrected.

The road is not down by 2,000 cars a day.

[quote=The Word Is Bor;61168011 The fact that you dispute it becuase you happen to drive the road once a week does not give you the authority to reject the figure. Then again when you can count 1000 tractors using a road per day then you must be some sort of rainman. Traffic levels would appear to be down for the AADT's that were experienced in 2008 and in 2007.

Until the full data for 2009 is collated I'd suggest you stop thumping the keyboard with your head.[/quote]

No I just use common sense.

You should do that same.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

mysterious wrote: »
    Again I hate to be blunt and show that I'[m right YET AGAIN.

The automated counters don't always count it right. It can be down for a few days. Sometimes some months are left out. Sometimes they didnt record the H.G.v Traffic on it. The power could be down or whatever.

It could be any number of reasons.

For example they could make the road one lane for a few days and mean that the road counter is down. There could be diversion. Or it just could be an error.

It has happened before. Where the counter was down and towards the end of the yaar it was corrected.

The road is not down by 2,000 cars a day.

Could the same not be said for all the other traffic counters?

You can't assume the N7 counters were counting wrong (less than what they were supposed to) and then assume all other counters were counting exactly right when you're making statements like the N7 is one of the busiest roads in the state.

You can't bump the figures for one road because you feel like and not bump figures for other roads. Let's get real, let's cut the bull. What's this sexual attraction to high AADTs on the N7 West of Portlaoise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

KevR: the NRA traffic counter pages actually show where there is data missing, and there sometimes is, sufficiently so to cast the figures in doubt. Also there is both an AADT from just the recorded figures, and an estimate based on expanding the incomplete recorded figures to the whole year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Fair enough but I doubt that applies to just the N7.

As serfboard said - it's viable to compare February 2009 figures for the roads.

KevR wrote: »
    Could the same not be said for all the other traffic counters?

You can't assume the N7 counters were counting wrong (less than what they were supposed to) and then assume all other counters were counting exactly right when you're making statements like the N7 is one of the busiest roads in the state.

You can't bump the figures for one road because you feel like and not bump figures for other roads. Let's get real, let's cut the bull. What's this sexual attraction to high AADTs on the N7 West of Portlaoise?

:rolleyes:

KevR wrote: »
    Fair enough but I doubt that applies to just the N7.

As serfboard said - it's viable to compare February 2009 figures for the roads.

No its not.

Its not accurate

A road doesnt drop by 2,000 in one month.

If you understood logic and common sense, it might be a great help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

A road doesnt drop by 2,000 in one month

You are quoting an annual figure. Firstly traffic may have dropped, we are in the mother of all recessions and early 2009 is quite different from early 2008. Secondly most roads are somewhat busier in the summer, the N7 west of Portlaoise has a figure of 17250, but this is still less than the N8 south of Portlaoise at 17473. Over the year the N7 is still a bit less than the N8.

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    You are quoting an annual figure. Firstly traffic may have dropped, we are in the mother of all recessions and early 2009 is quite different from early 2008. Secondly most roads are somewhat busier in the summer, the N7 west of Portlaoise has a figure of 17250, but this is still less than the N8 south of Portlaoise at 17473. Over the year the N7 is still a bit less than the N8.

The N7 went up 17265 last year.
    N8 south south of Portaoise 17152

So you can pick and choose facts out like this to make any argument.

THE FACT IS.
    The N7/N8 are the busiest long distance roads in the country. At Portloise its busiest.

These counters have significantly less commuter traffic than the
    Rathduff
    Cratloe
    Athlone Counters etc. These are near cities and commuting routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Some pics of the existing M7 SRR phase 1

DSC02611.jpg
    DSC02613.jpg
    DSC02614.jpg

Tie in with the N7 tunnel, wearing course down and some lining done
    DSC02615.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Next time take a little detour :D That looks wide open for a bit of a photo-drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

That is Millenium Park. It was sold in the last year or so by one of the Anglo 10 for something in the region of 400 million yo-yo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

Scheme refused planning permission by An Bord Pleanala.
    See: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/MA0005.htm
    In deciding not to accept the Inspector’s recommendation to approve the
    motorway scheme, the Board was of the view that the Inspector’s assessment did
    not give sufficient consideration to the relationship between the proposed
    interchange and the proposed R407 Sallins By-pass as expressed in the
    environmental impact statement and various statutory plans, and the Board could
    not accept the line of the R407 Sallins By-pass as having been determined
    separately from the proposed motorway interchange. The Board, therefore,
    decided that the planning of the proposed interchange and of the R407 Sallins Bypass
    should be undertaken together in a comprehensive manner, even if the
    projects are to be implemented at different times in the future.

Taken from the An Bord Pleanala order (dma0005.pdf)

Furet wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Hi all,

As someone who drives from the UK to Clare on holiday a couple of times a year, this motorway is a godsend. Even the completed parts have taken a good bit off the journey time and when it's all finished it will be brilliant.

I know there is another thread about it, but driving it a couple of weeks ago the lay-bys seemed weird to me, dangerous things to have on motorways!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

My dad drove up the new M7 part (the tolled part) during the week and was disgusted with how poor the road surface was as well. It's shocking actually how bad it is considering it's a brand new road. I drove it on the Saturday after it opened and thought it was so bumpy then as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gryff

Hi all,

As someone who drives from the UK to Clare on holiday a couple of times a year, this motorway is a godsend. Even the completed parts have taken a good bit off the journey time and when it's all finished it will be brilliant.

I know there is another thread about it, but driving it a couple of weeks ago the lay-bys seemed weird to me, dangerous things to have on motorways!

Wont it be sweet by Oct/Nov you can drive on motorway from Dublin to Limerick - zip through the Shannon tunnel ( slowing to throw 1.80e into the chute) and on to Ennis all in jig time... I drove to Ennistymon today..no problem until after Ennis... then 40mph all the way behind a truck..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

Well the next time I'll be over will be Christmas so it will hopefully all be oopen by then. The last bit from Ennis to Kildysart could be the same as yours to Ennistymon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Drove it today Dub to Limerick and the road surface is shockingly bumpy - rush job perhaps?

Looks like the M7 Kildare and Monasterevin bypasses are in the process of being re-signed at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Looks like the M7 Kildare and Monasterevin bypasses are in the process of being re-signed at the moment.

Its all the M7 in Co. Kildare other than the Naas BP and stub of Newbridge to the M9 (this was resigned with the Naas BP resurfacing/resigning).

So partial Newbridge, Kildare and partial Monasterevin bypasses (and the Curragh DC if you want ultra pedantry!)

MYOB wrote: »
    Its all the M7 in Co. Kildare other than the Naas BP and stub of Newbridge to the M9 (this was resigned with the Naas BP resurfacing/resigning).

So partial Newbridge, Kildare and partial Monasterevin bypasses (and the Curragh DC if you want ultra pedantry!)

Do you know if cantilevers are going to be installed? The M7 to Monasterevin was chocabloc this evening. I suspect the main reason was people not driving on in the overtaking lane. Also, some fecking tractors on the M8 today. I could scream when I see that :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Do you know if cantilevers are going to be installed? The M7 to Monasterevin was chocabloc this evening. I suspect the main reason was people not driving on in the overtaking lane. Also, some fecking tractors on the M8 today. I could scream when I see that :mad:

This is ridiculous.

I would urge anybody who comes across a tractor on any motorway to see if they can get a licence number and then report it to the Gardaí (and/or the NRA). The longer people get away with this sort of behaviour the worse it will become.

Everybody knows the rules about what is allowed on a motorway and even if some idiot doesn't, well ignorance is no defence.

Jayuu wrote: »
    This is ridiculous.

I would urge anybody who comes across a tractor on any motorway to see if they can get a licence number and then report it to the Gardaí (and/or the NRA). The longer people get away with this sort of behaviour the worse it will become.

Everybody knows the rules about what is allowed on a motorway and even if some idiot doesn't, well ignorance is no defence.

Have started a thread on it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

Have started a thread on it here.

and rightly so

have seen even a man and 3 dogs on leads walking against the traffic on the m20 heading to the rossbrien interchange, this was before it was fully opened, if those dogs had broken away and ran accross the motorway and on to the other side, god would want to be with the people trying to avoid them - multiple pile up anyone

Is the eastbound offramp sliproad at junction 28 always backed up in the morning or will this problem cease once the Limerick to Birdhill section opens?

• Advertisement

Does anyone have any information on or knowledge about the one section of M7 that will never be built, namely the idea to run a new section of M7 from Naas to the M50 on a totally new alignment? I know it will never happen, but in terms of the plan, how far did it get and when was it dropped in favour of widening the existing Naas road?

Advertisement