Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M9 motorway (general thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    CEO has said they don't expect any problems with the application and expect to be given the go ahead. I can't see why it would be rejected.

well it will prob get through the Carlow planning dept, but can see it been appealed to an bord pleanala, just like I bet topaz will appeal the station that's in the planning stages for paulstown if it gets through the Kilkenny coco planning dept, so cant see anything happening with either for at least 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

linny wrote: »
    well it will prob get through the Carlow planning dept, but can see it been appealed to an bord pleanala, just like I bet topaz will appeal the station that's in the planning stages for paulstown if it gets through the Kilkenny coco planning dept, so cant see anything happening with either for at least 2 years
    Yes Topaz have already put in a submission (presume an objection) along with Applegreen and others on the Paulstown station. That application is on hold pending further information from the developer. Don't see any way both developments will go ahead. I can't find the Topaz application for planning permission on the Carlow Co. Co. e-plan website, so they appear to be a bit late to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

According to Damien Tiernan of RTE on Twitter (can't link to it from here in work) the M9 northbound is gridlocked since a truck caught fire between Mullinavat and Knocktopher.

Maybe someone else can provide a link to the tweets. He reckoned there was little or no contingency plan for a problem like this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fricatus wrote: »
    According to Damien Tiernan of RTE on Twitter (can't link to it from here in work) the M9 northbound is gridlocked since a truck caught fire between Mullinavat and Knocktopher.

Maybe someone else can provide a link to the tweets. He reckoned there was little or no contingency plan for a problem like this.

Surely with the rain we are having the fire is out in seconds?!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭rameire

An Garda Síochána ‏@GardaTraffic 11m
    M9 closed northbound between Junct 10 & 11 between Mullinavit and Knocktopher, Co Kilkenny due to truck on fire.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sully wrote: »
    Surely with the rain we are having the fire is out in seconds?!:p

That's the problem...heavy rain increases the chances of vehicle fires i'm afraid, damp electrics etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Indo says planning application has been submitted for Carlow so nothing definite yet. Could be interesting.
    http://www.independent.ie/incoming/topaz-to-create-100-new-jobs-at-two-new-service-stations-29624406.html
    Still no sign of Planning Application from Topaz on Carlow County Council Website for Service Area at Junction 5 . Anybody know what the delay is?:confused:

What are they at south of Junction 2 Kilcullen? Down to one bloody lane for a good 1 km. Is this works for MSA? Whatever it is, looks like it may be there for a while? Annoying.

I heard that they will be there till December. ( they never mentioned a year though)

Im thinking they are putting in a barrier on the side of the road due to the height difference between road and fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Noticed this yesterday evening - Looks like there's an opening broken out into the field there too for some reason...

Say it's a pain in the mornings.

• Advertisement

rameire wrote: »
    I heard that they will be there till December. ( they never mentioned a year though)

Im thinking they are putting in a barrier on the side of the road due to the height difference between road and fields.

God I hope you're wrong. To take out a length of carriageway on a national motorway for any length of time is a MAJOR inconvenience to all and should be kept to an absolute minimum. I don't undertand how something like this could take 'til December. Also busiest part of the M9 just for good measure :rolleyes:

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Noticed this yesterday evening - Looks like there's an opening broken out into the field there too for some reason...

Say it's a pain in the mornings.

that would seem to be an access road that has been made for works traffic to the M9

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

road_high wrote: »

The NRA had one planned for this area.

So much for the planning application being lodged and jobs for the one in south Carlow which should be opening around now. :rolleyes:

http://martinmiley.ie/category/transport/

here is a whinge blurb from a councillor about what is going on

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I see the laybies now have bins, which is a good move I believe. Saves rubbish being dropped around there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wow, does he read over what he writes? Sounds like he wrote that with hands trembling with rage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

spacetweek wrote: »
    Wow, does he read over what he writes? Sounds like he wrote that with hands trembling with rage.

What came mind instantly with his rant ws that the other nearby service station owners who were involved in the attempt to delay the opening of the M9 are strongly involved in FF. Then I saw what party that Councillor is in...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

He says
    This is a total waste of taxpayers money at a cost of 23 million euro as there is already an online service station within 20kms

What is he talking about?

MYOB wrote: »
    What came mind instantly with his rant ws that the other nearby service station owners who were involved in the attempt to delay the opening of the M9 are strongly involved in FF. Then I saw what party that Councillor is in...

You beat me to it...when the M9 was being opened if i recall correctly, a local FF TD attempted to have the opening deferred to after Xmas 2009 all so his buddy at Crookstown wouldn't loose some trade over Xmas. Tried to pawn this corruption off as "saving jobs" before Xmas. A blatant other example, if one were needed, of why FF belong in opposition for a very very long time. FF would willingly compromise public safety over their own backpockets anyday (bearing in mind this stretch of old N9 had one of the worst accident rates in the country).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

So has work actually begun on the MSA at Kilcullen?

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

A reduced speed limit of 80kmph will be in force on the M9 Dublin/Waterford Rd in both directions around J2 Kilcullen until Fri 5th Dec. This is to facilitate works on the Kilcullen motorway services.

Courtesy of AA roadwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why o why is there a msa going in at Kilcullen? Why not build one nearby on the M7, before the split?
    I suppose there'll be one near Grantstown wood on the M8 next, and none on the M7 before the M8 split

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lack of space before the split I'd guess. Its relatively built up or awkward road layouts all the way to the split.

Esso were going to heavily upgrade the woeful Dublin-bound station at Kill before the recession, not sure what their plans are now.

Why o why is there a msa going in at Kilcullen? Why not build one nearby on the M7, before the split?
    I suppose there'll be one near Grantstown wood on the M8 next, and none on the M7 before the M8 split

Isn't their one at Monasterevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Isn't their one at Monasterevin?

There is one Junction 14 named Junction 14 funnily enough!

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

This one lane malarkey better be worth it.
    Every morning the last of the late breakers still tries to sneak in with 200m to spare, some morning them cones are going to go flying.
    On the way home I've even gone back on the old N9 but many seen to be copying this now plus you have that red Go Safe van in one of the 3 locations pretty much every day.
    Presumably Crookstown garage will be the big loser in this service station being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭flop

Hi all,

Any idea when the works southbound between J10 and J11 will be completed.?

I took a scenic route home to Dungarvan via Kilmaganny and Carrick yesterday evening simply to avoid Ballyhale and Mullinavat ;-)

Cheers
    Flop

flop wrote: »
    Hi all,

Any idea when the works southbound between J10 and J11 will be completed.?

I took a scenic route home to Dungarvan via Kilmaganny and Carrick yesterday evening simply to avoid Ballyhale and Mullinavat ;-)

Cheers
    Flop

Aug 15th according to AA Roadwatch. Alternative is via the old goat track old N9; http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

Very dissapointing they have to yet again do this on a 3/4 year old motorway, assume it's the patch near McBrides scrapyard over the hilly /plateau part. Why can't they just arrange a decent contra-flow rather then close the whole road. I'd imagine that's what they'd do in Europe etc. Also, i wasn't aware the south-bound lane was affected, so why close both?

• Advertisement

road_high wrote: »
    Aug 15th according to AA Roadwatch. Alternative is via the old goat track old N9; http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

Very dissapointing they have to yet again do this on a 3/4 year old motorway, assume it's the patch near McBrides scrapyard over the hilly /plateau part. Why can't they just arrange a decent contra-flow rather then close the whole road. I'd imagine that's what they'd do in Europe etc. Also, i wasn't aware the south-bound lane was affected, so why close both?

What wrong with the road, resurfacing?

Advertisement