Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

R139 "Malahide" signs on M50

Options
  • 07-07-2014 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

The NRA (or whoever is responsible) have recently redesignated the N32 road from the end of the M50 to Baldoyle as R139. The advance exit signage from the M50 and from the M1 all label this road as being R139 MALAHIDE. This should really read "R139 MALAHIDE RD" rather than "MALAHIDE" since, in reality, the road takes you to Baldoyle, Howth, Sutton, Clontarf, Raheny and north east suburbs - not Malahide as such.
    In order to get to Malahide from the motorway on the R139, you would have to take a sharp left northward at the Hilton Hotel/Clare Hall junction. However there is no direction sign for Malahide at this junction when coming from the Motorway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Probably best discussed in the Roads forum. Moved from Dublin County North.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Completely true. If I'm at the M1/M50 junction and want to go home to Malahide, I use the M1. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

vickers209 wrote: »

It was still there last Saturday. It needs to be replaced by a white backed sign now that the road has been detrunked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

icdg wrote: »
    It was still there last Saturday. It needs to be replaced by a white backed sign now that the road has been detrunked.

I stand corrected but also perhaps vindicated. Last time I passed by I could not see the green sign - probably blocked by a truck - but I checked yesterday and this sign is still there clearly pointing to Baldoyle as the destination of the R139, as I said, and with turn offs on the R107 (Malahide Road) to Malahide and Portmarnock on the left and to Coolock and City Centre on the right. Why the motorway exit sign describes the R139 as going to Malahide (rather than Baldoyle or Howth) remains a mystery.

I can also verify that as of yesterday the old green and yellow "N32" signs remain in place on the road between the motorway junction and the crossroads with the R107 - in both directions.

Oddly, the original signage erected in 1996 did indeed sign the destination of the N32 as Malahide Road rather than Malahide. Its only changed since the Port Tunnel opened if not even more recently. It is however, very exceedingly rare for a street name (as opposed to a road number) be signed as a destination outside of Dublin city centre, from my reading of TSM 2010 its not actually allowed, its meant to be towns or townlands in most cases except when City Centre is allowed or if one of the two remaining Superdestinations that are allowed is used, namely Northbound and Southbound (and they are really only intended to be used on the M50.

The terminal destinations for the now detrunked N32 were specified as "M50" (an odd case of a road number being a terminal destination) and Malahide. Even though it never went to Malahide. The only other case of a road number being prescribed as a terminal destination for a national road is M1 on the N33.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

There was definitely signage for Malahide via N32 - no "road" - with the original M50, prior to the M1 to Lissenhall and the Port Tunnel. We used to come home (to Malahide!) that way all the time and I remember it even as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

Seeing as the road R139 terminates at the junctiom with the Hole in the Wall Road in Donaghmede, perhaps the sign should say Donaghmede?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Perhaps it should say "hole in the wall" :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

jd wrote: »
    Seeing as the road R139 terminates at the junctiom with the Hole in the Wall Road in Donaghmede, perhaps the sign should say Donaghmede?

No, it goes right to Baldoyle.

The original signage can be seen here - http://www.pathetic.org.uk/lost/m32_ireland/photos/

Its almost all replaced now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

mackerski wrote: »
    Ah, ok, I was going by google maps. I should, of course, used OSM :)
    Incidentally, the R809 is not continuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

jd wrote: »
    Ah, ok, I was going by google maps. I should, of course, used OSM :)
    Incidentally, the R809 is not continuous.

Indeed, the R809 is now in three separate sections, Raheny, Donaghmede and Baldoyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

There is still a sign with N11 pointing straight ahead as you head eastbound before the Malahide Road junction. Go home road planners, you're drunk!

R139

http://goo.gl/maps/cEl5f

Advertisement