Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TII Motorway Service Areas (MSA) Progress Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I remember seeing that... all I gleaned from it was that D3 is planned to Kilmac... when or what quality though is a mystery. Realistically it needs to go through Glen of the Downs.... widening that may cause fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

most of the sections listed are commuter routes where the congestion is primarily occurring at rush-hour - its debatable whether widening them is the answer (with the exception of Naas - M9 which is effectively 3 trunk routes converging into one).

In the case of the M11 the problem (southbound at least) is 4 lanes converging into 2 in a very short distance. Adding an extra lane as far as the Bray South junction would probably alleviate a lot of the evening congestion and there is space for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Reuben1210 wrote: »
    Can you elaborate on this?...I'm interested to know what the n11 plans are, as it is woefully over capacity all the way to kilmac every rush hour, but as far as I know it will be almost impossible to three Lane or even substantially upgrade this section due to the myriad of entrances and properties opening directly into it, and also the severity of some of the bends...?

See my post here!

Updated link here!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

nordydan wrote: »
    See my post here

Thanks dude!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Wow, thanks for that - had no idea they were planning a new collector between Dargle and Killarney Roads (here) - hard to see how they'll manage this.
    (Sorry for OT).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

Yeah the gradient is very steep to meet up with the hairpin bend on the Herbert road, and not a lot of space to play with...good idea and well needed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

http://www.retailexcellence.ie/2014/07/03/applegreen-to-create-360-jobs-in-motorway-network-expansion/

I see this was in the news yesterday. I'm aware of the Ashford and Birdhill MSSs but where is the Swords one going to be located? Swords seems rather close to the existing Lusk MSS and you also now have the Turvey/Supermacs one on the old Belfast Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ongarboy wrote: »
    http://www.retailexcellence.ie/2014/07/03/applegreen-to-create-360-jobs-in-motorway-network-expansion/

I see this was in the news yesterday. I'm aware of the Ashford and Birdhill MSSs but where is the Swords one going to be located? Swords seems rather close to the existing Lusk MSS and you also now have the Turvey/Supermacs one on the old Belfast Road.
    all those are not NRA MSAs so belong in the other "offline" thread. Not to mention that one of the four appears to be on the N25 so not even on a motorway in the first place.

Nevertheless, the swords station is offline somewhere on "north street", which looks to me to be a fair bit offline so probably as handy to goto lusk anyhow.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Nevertheless, the swords station is offline somewhere on "north street", which looks to me to be a fair bit offline so probably as handy to goto lusk anyhow.

In terms of planning for stations (more accurately, planning for new buildings on what were petrol stations and the time they need to be left empty); I would imagine this will be the former forecourt at Des D'Arcy Motors. That was still partially intact when I worked in Swords in 2006 but going on Street View the last bits were removed some time between 2009-2011.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

MYOB wrote: »
    In terms of planning for stations (more accurately, planning for new buildings on what were petrol stations and the time they need to be left empty); I would imagine this will be the former forecourt at Des D'Arcy Motors. That was still partially intact when I worked in Swords in 2006 but going on Street View the last bits were removed some time between 2009-2011.

Yeah, there moving onto Des D'Arcy's site and D'Arcy is moving behind the houses beside his former site on North Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

celticbest wrote: »
    Yeah, there moving onto Des D'Arcy's site and D'Arcy is moving behind the houses beside his former site on North Street.

In what sense would a "service area" located on a main street in a small town, as with the Des D'Arcy Motors premises in North Street Swords, be regarded as a "Motorway Service Area"????? Its not even off a motorway - its off the R132, formerly the old N1. This race to the bottom in motorway service area provision is getting beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Ernest wrote: »
    In what sense would a "service area" located on a main street in a small town, as with the Des D'Arcy Motors premises in North Street Swords, be regarded as a "Motorway Service Area"????? Its not even off a motorway - its off the R132, formerly the old N1. This race to the bottom in motorway service area provision is getting beyond a joke.

It's not regarded as a motorway service area. Just because some newspapers got a bit mixed up doesn't mean that anybody else has to follow their line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Ernest wrote: »

Sounds a bit like the proposal for a "motorway services site" in Claremorris near the existing N17 & N60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Lemybrien on the cork Waterford Road, a service station was planned many moons ago, the guy ran out of lute or nama stepped in, suddenly within three months the site has been turned into a top notch service centre, should open next week or so, why can't we do it in Kil.
    kenny or are we that effing useless

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Lemybrien on the cork Waterford Road, a service station was planned many moons ago, the guy ran out of lute or nama stepped in, suddenly within three months the site has been turned into a top notch service centre, should open next week or so, why can't we do it in Kil.
    kenny or are we that effing useless

There is a considerable amount of work already done on that site for starters, including access.

Motorway stations I suspect are bigger and its building into an empty site without any foundation or starter work. Roadways, piping etc all need to be installed. It didn't in Waterford.

Yes, a lot of work was done underground, however the speed of construction was amazing, there was so many workers there the other day it was unbelievable. However what actually bothers me is access or do they intend making a roundabout at the Lemibrien Junction.
    From a road safety aspect they need to do something positive other than white lines.
    Must admit never expected to see the place developed as it had stood neglected for quite a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,811 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Very disappointed with the Castlebellingham services last Sunday. Northbound two toilets and one urinal out of order. Southbound both showers and one toilet out of order.

Usually these places are great, so an isolated incident, but get the plumbers in!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Yes, a lot of work was done underground, however the speed of construction was amazing, there was so many workers there the other day it was unbelievable. However what actually bothers me is access or do they intend making a roundabout at the Lemibrien Junction.
    From a road safety aspect they need to do something positive other than white lines.
    Must admit never expected to see the place developed as it had stood neglected for quite a few years.

There was also the actual shop itself so it was mostly finishing, fitting and associated site works. There is now a right hand turn lane, if I recall, coming from Dungarvan whereas it's just your usual turn in from Waterford. The entrance and exit are a decent size. No need for a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

not sure if posted before, but found this for the M9.
    other old links are defective.
    http://www.nra.ie/policy-publications/eis-publications/M9-Volume-3-Drawings-Part-2.pdf

looks like there will be local access, into and from this MSA.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Applegreen Lemybrien opened today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

D Trent wrote: »
    Applegreen Lemybrien opened today

Just google mapping Lemybrien right now and it seems to be located on a regular national road. Is this just a roadside service station or an actual MSS or am I looking in the wrong place?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just google mapping Lemybrien right now and it seems to be located on a regular national road. Is this just a roadside service station or an actual MSS or am I looking in the wrong place?

Roadside site, had been half built and empty for years.

Hey I was in Lemybrien Applegreen today, food and service up to scratch, very busy, easy parking, cheaper fuel, recommend it, shop is well stocked, have to wait and see how it pans out in the weeks ahead.
    Nice change, the views are stunning of the comeraghs, worth going just for that alone.
    Applegreen Foxy

The NRA's new strategy is to continue to build online MSAs, approve some offline MSAs and build some rest areas on motorways:
    THE private sector will be allowed to build service areas across the motorway network to encourage drivers to stop and rest on long journeys.

The National Roads Authority (NRA) has said it will not oppose plans to provide facilities for motorists, if they meet strict criteria - including a requirement that they don't become a destination for local traffic.

The move comes after complaints that the authority, despite not being able to afford to deliver facilities, was opposing plans by the private sector to build rest areas offering food, fuel and parking.

However, a spokesman insisted that its only concern was that developments did not proceed with shopping facilities or other amenities which would attract local traffic and impact on the network.

A new policy statement shows 11 rest areas are needed across the country in order to comply with EU rules on providing facilities no more than 100kms apart.

There are two types - Type 1, which includes a full range of facilities such as restaurants, fuel, parking, children's play areas and toilets and showers. Type 2 provides basic parking, picnic and toilet facilities.

The NRA said it planned to develop five full areas - at Clonee-Blundelstown on the M3 in Meath; at the junction of the M6/M17/M18 in Galway; between Rathcoole and Naas on the M7; near the Port of Foynes on the N21/N69; and Sixmilebridge-Ennis on the M18 in Clare.

Another four are also proposed, at Mitchelstown/Fermoy (N8), Carlow-South Kilkenny (M9), Rathcoole-Naas (M7) and Delgany-Cullenmore (M11). These may be developed privately, while service areas already in place in Moneygall and Mayfield on the M7 may be suitable.

"We don't want them to become a destination. We want them to be on the network," a NRA spokesman said.

"This policy statement says we are taking into consideration what the private sector is doing, which is looking to develop on or just off the network. If they are in line with expectations we will be satisfied."

The NRA's Service Area Policy said it intended providing service areas when planning new or upgrading dual carriageways and motorways.

This includes a number of "off-line" service areas - removed from the motorway - which will be considered.

Each area must serve traffic travelling in both directions, meaning fly-overs may be required.

Lay-bys currently used by motorists to stop and rest will be closed to the public once the rest areas are in place, but may continue to be used by gardai for enforcement.

Some six service areas are already in place or under construction across the network.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/route-cleared-for-drivers-to-get-more-restareas-30548283.html

It's on the N25 which at that location is just an ordinary single-carriageway national primary road.

Basically it's just a petrol station with a shop and other facilities.

Don't know why it's being discussed in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,219 ✭✭✭markpb

Lay-bys currently used by motorists to stop and rest will be closed to the public once the rest areas are in place, but may continue to be used by gardai for enforcement.

Any idea why they want to close them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

markpb wrote: »

Because they're extremely dangerous. The only seperation between stopped vehicles and traffic moving at 120kmph is a few poles that won't stop an out of control vehicle.

The Lemybrien services is not just an ordinary petrol station, it is situated on a road that comes from Rosslare via Waterford to Cork and the west.
    It is ideal for travellers on what is a long and sometimes tedious journey.
    The inside is peaceful and allows drivers and passengers to relax before taking off again.
    In view of Kilkenny Council turning down plans for a services to be built at Paulstown, how many years will it be before something is done about it.
    Services should have been built as the motorway progressed, and the NRA should step in and make sure Kilkenny complies with the requirement to provide services, Applegreen demonstrating what is needed.
    There is too much humbug and posturing, action is needed not next year or the year after.
    As a tourist our major routes in the South east are dire.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

markpb wrote: »
    They should never have been built in the first place as you aren't allowed have features like that on motorways. They are not up to regs and are very dangerous. They are also an eyesore as they are not maintained by the council to the right standard and so often have litter on them. They should all be closed immediately and grassed over.

Advertisement