Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan Graduate Programmes

• 02-04-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi, I'm currently studying Japanese at university and I'm in my final year. I'm hoping to start a graduate diploma in computing in September. I'd like to go to Japan at some point, and was wondering does anyone have any advice on graduate programmes that are available?

I'm familiar with the JET programme, and I will be applying to that in November or whenever it is that it opens. However, I'd prefer to be able to do something in computing if possible. I've heard of the Vulcanus programme but I'm not sure if that applies?

Also, if anyone knows any places where I could get summer work there or maybe a 6 month internship, it would be great. I do plan on working in Ireland eventually, but want to get experience with my languages while I can and want to combine this with the computing.

Sorry for the long post, will appreciate any advice at all!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Here's some info on the Vulcanus program : http://www.eu-japan.eu/vulcanus-japan-0

It's for students of engineering and science but send them an email to see if your course is eligible. And then there's the JET program too which you know about.

Another option could be a working holiday visa, as I don't think there's visas/courses for summer work or internships unless you're with a company already.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Emailed the Vulcanus people, apparently since I'd be doing a conversion course I wouldn't be eligible since I won't have studied for enough years in that area. Oh well.

I saw the working holiday visa before, but the problem is that I don't actually know where I can even start looking for jobs just for the summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Emailed the Vulcanus people, apparently since I'd be doing a conversion course I wouldn't be eligible since I won't have studied for enough years in that area. Oh well.

I saw the working holiday visa before, but the problem is that I don't actually know where I can even start looking for jobs just for the summer.

Have a look on gaijin pot to give you an idea of what kinds of jobs are out there, most will be teaching though. Also this blog has a few pointers and youtube videos with advice on getting a job in Japan.

http://www.tofugu.com/2013/01/12/how-to-get-a-job-in-japan/

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I'll check it out now, thank you!

I don't mind doing teaching work since I would really like to get to Japan at some point, but while I was looking up this information I thought it would be good to see if there was any way I could combine the two qualifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Unless you have almost fluent Japanese, you'll be limited to either teaching or working in a gaijin bar on a Working holiday visa. Regarding teaching jobs you'd need to be looking at coming here from April to the following March. Japan's academic year starts in April and you'd be extremely unlikely to get hired for a post for just a few months or outside of the April start period. You could go down the route of tutoring of course which takes a lot of personal initiative in finding students but would be more suitable for a few month period job.

Gajin bars (that is, bars that mainly cater towards foreigners e.g. The Hub chain of English pubs) would frequently hire foreigners. If you have some Japanese even better. I have heard (but don't have first hand experience of this!) that they hire based on looks and personality most of the time rather than any actual bar skills you might have.

Those are just options with a WHV anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Companies like Westgate, Berkeley House, ELEC, are companies which place teachers in universities/schools. The turnover rate means that they are usually on the lookout for new teachers, but I have no idea about the recruitment policy or qualifications needed.

I only know that these companies have a reputation for not treating workers all that well, but it might be a foot in the door for you.

Advertisement