Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dracula Untold

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Looks decent in parts, naff in others. So a wait and see job I guess.

I'm not sure I like Dracula
    not being the 1st vampire route
    , but I guess this makes for a richer mythology in their film.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The opening 10 mins of Coppola's Dracula are more accurate and better than this. Vlad Tepes was a psycopathic warlord, and in this he's a superhero vampire?

The opening 10 mins of Coppola's Dracula are more accurate and better than this. Vlad Tepes was a psycopathic warlord, and in this he's a superhero vampire?

I was never expecting much in terms of weight and accuracy from this, I just hope it's not another Van Helsing or worse, I Frankenstein. :eek: :pac:

Saw the trailer a few days ago and the whole thing looks like something that the Syfy channel churn out on e weekly basis. Based on the trailer it looks like this is going to be another generic, CGI heavy superhero origins story.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,921 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Dominic Cooper playing the villain?

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is Dominic Cooper playing the villain?

Looks like it, Vlad's brother who was kidnapped and groomed by the Sultan of the Ottoman empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hmmm...............

I don't want to totally write it off, but I do not like the premise at all, wait and see I suppose before deciding whether to give it my money!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Looks awful. Shocking casting for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Vampires are good guys now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Irish director!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

sweetie wrote: »
    Irish director!

Same guy who made this:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

looks alright to me.

ive no problem with a reinvention as TBH the storys been done to death IMO.

So a sub lord of the rings faustian deal job could be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Thought it was good enough tbh, not sure where the slaughtering is coming from. Evans is impressive in it, the one thing I was concerned about was his Vlad being neutered but he gave a surprisingly unsettling performance at times.

Gadon was good too and thankfully her character isn't annoying by trying to be Vlad's conscience.

One criticism I read was that it was bloodless but it's plenty violent and with the red stuff.

The only problem is with the plot where characters make very accurate leaps of judgement without any real explanation, but it's not a major issue for me.

I really am scratching my head in regards to the bad reviews and it's the kind of thing that makes you wonder if there are other factors at play other than the quality of the piece when reviewing a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It was alright. Hate movies that
    set themselves up for a sequel like that

cloud493 wrote: »
    It was alright. Hate movies that
    set themselves up for a sequel like that

I thought it worked as Dance's
    Vampire did say that a part of giving Dracula immortality is that he would call upon him to do his bidding as his "servant".

I'd be surprised anyway if there's a sequel as I don't think this film was planned as being the start of Universal's mooted monsters universe. That being said a sequel would definitely have merit as Dance's character definitely deserves a more prominent role.

No I meant the bit right at the end where
    it's in the modern world

Ah right fair enough,
    Dance was a couple of centuries late alright in calling in that favour. :pac:

Has anyone actually seen this film bar one or two of us? Staggering silence, probably hasn't helped being released the same week as gone girl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭FlashR2D2

..........Tumbleweed time

• Advertisement

Its really very decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I saw it and liked it. Script was a bit creaky in places but it was stylish enough and a decent 90 minutes entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Thought it was ****e tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Mrs Greyjoy is a big fan of vampire films so we saw this at the weekend. I found it just ok, not terrible but not that good either. Evans gives a decent performance in the title role but for a film about Dracula it is strangely bloodless. Battle scenes where Vlad slaughters entire armies without managing to spill a drop of blood give the action in the film a videogame quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Battle scenes where Vlad slaughters entire armies without managing to spill a drop of blood give the action in the film a videogame quality.

Gotta keep it PG-13 for the American market I'd imagine. Stupid children ruining everything. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I was surprised to learn afterwards that the film had gotten a '15' cert. There certainly was very little blood/gore in the fight scenes (bar some blood drips on vampire chins). There are some scenes of impaled soldiers - all distance shots shrouded in smoke/fog but maybe that was enough to kick it up to a 15 rating.

The lack of blood & gore in the fight scenes actually hurt the story itself - showing the blood in the battle would have emphasised how Vlad was becoming a monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just back from it myself.

i thought it was good !

kinda difficult to classify it though. best i can come up with is its what a dracula origins film would be if done by marvel comics. i was surprised at how character focused it was.

its prob more a DVD with a few beers than a cinema experience, but by no means is it the crapfest i was expecting it to be.

it looks great, its well acted , and its set itself up for a sequel in a way that doesnt trash whats gone before. in fact it goes off in some really interesting directions at time.

all in all its a really nice niche genre film that i cant give out about. completely baffeld by the 15a cert though as i didnt really see much that merited it. in fact ive seen worse in buffy way back in the day.

7/10 from me.

be quite happy to see that sequel if its ever made as i really enjoyed charles dance in this.

EDIT.

also wanted to big up the lead. he really was very good in this. a lesser actor wouldnt have been able to carry it. i didnt recognise domonic coooper at all, he played his part well and i thought they did a good job on his final fight with drac.

i dont want to come off as muted here. i really did enjoy this and theres lots to like . drac accesing his powers for the first time at the riverbed for instance is a really really well done piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Surprised that I enjoyed this so much actually. The trailer doesn't do it a lot of favours to be honest, lot better story than it makes out.

The lack of blood isn't a problem to be honest, there's still plenty of it there and there's no need to show it in big battle scenes with warriors with loads amount of armour on them. Evans does a really good job as Vlad actually, would be interested in seeing him reprise the role definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

Greyjoy wrote: »
    Mrs Greyjoy is a big fan of vampire films so we saw this at the weekend. I found it just ok, not terrible but not that good either. Evans gives a decent performance in the title role but for a film about Dracula it is strangely bloodless. Battle scenes where Vlad slaughters entire armies without managing to spill a drop of blood give the action in the film a videogame quality.

Like just about every god dam movie these days, no matter how well written or directed or acted once I see the CGI I am instantly turned off, anyway thanks for letting me know I can happily avoid it.

Edit just saw the trailer and it confirms the video game nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭brevity

Saw this on Sunday and despite the awful script it's not too bad at all. Luke Evans is really good as Dracula and he holds the movie together quite well. His change from being a good prince/father into the vampire is handled properly...which is nice to see as so many other films make a mess of that sort of thing.

The CGI is pretty poor in places though and I think they over reached in some parts, could have gone a different direction perhaps. Didn't really have to down the tired route of
    having a big huge battle at the end

A solid 6 out of 10 for me and worth a watch if you are even a tiny bit intrigued like I was.

Advertisement