Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Under The Skin (Jonathan Glazer)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Agree with pretty much the entire of LL's post.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Scotty P wrote: »
    Seen it cold myself, as I see most films and so hadn't a notion what was happening the first time I seen it, which I think is the best way to see it, but then I think that's the best way to see all films, so nothing new there.

At what point did you figure she was an alien (if you did)? Just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Saw this at the Lighthouse the other day.
    very unnerving movie, wasn't completely sure of what i was watching at times but i just couldn't look away. It really felt like a Kubrick movie in parts.
    Certainly one to get on dvd if you can't get to see it anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Wasn't really mad about it TBH. The book sounds much more interesting. I agree that the soundtrack is class and creepy, but I wasn't mad about most of the visuals, and the plot was far too vague. Also, I found a lot of the motorbike driver's actions a bit out of character in parts, when you consider what his 'job' is.

Prompted me to actually wanna read the book, so guess that's a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board2Death

Great soundtrack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Best film I've seen for ages. Some scenes really unsettled me and it stays with you for ages. SJ was gorgeous and amazing in it too... hats off to her. Music was perfect too
    But that beach scene! Still can't get it out of my head. Dumbest parents ever

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Best film I've seen for ages. Some scenes really unsettled me and it stays with you for ages. SJ was gorgeous and amazing in it too... hats off to her. Music was perfect too
    But that beach scene! Still can't get it out of my head. Dumbest parents ever

Is it still playing? Or out on DVD?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's not out on DVD for another 6 weeks or so.

I'm seeing it again soon but accompanied by a live performance of the soundtrack by Mica Levi.

Cannot wait.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

If anybody wants to still see it in the cinema vote for it in the IFI Open Day poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭pearsquasher

Saw it in a film club..... few old fogies walked out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

god i didnt like it all. i will certainly give praise to SJ, her performance was good. it just seemed to be a film of a few set pieces, bugger all character development. bugger all storyline and no plot. wasn't very fulfilling at all.

there was 2 scenes that stay with you, the beach and the tank, but thats it.

maybe im old fashioned and not the right target audience for this. i was looking for explanation and motivations for what they were doing, none was forthcoming. didnt like the soundtrack either. and i am the type of guy that likes blade runner and 2001. i can understand a bleak movie and totally embrace it. the 2 movies i just mentioned gave hints and clues and certainly didnt serve the answers up to you on a plate. but UTS you are just an observer and nothing is given to you.

just wanted to balance the thread up a bit, because its been a bit too positive so far:D maybe i was just wooshed:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

The detached sparse nature of the dialogue will be the hardest cliff for most viewers to get over, once you appreciate this as a different form of the visual arts I found it easier to get into.
    Difficult to compare it to anything, possibly Only God Forgives but that will put many people off whereas it's more accessible than that piece.
    Although she was a ruthless harvester of bodies it's difficult to feel anything but pity for her character at the end.
    She tries to disappear & go down the good road when she ends up getting continually abused & ultimately raped then burned alive.
    It's very clear what this film says about about humans, we are as a viscous & detestable as any creature in our imagination.

The detached nature of the beach scene & the scene with the victims in the liquid were standouts.
    Great respect to SJ for taking this role on.

Overall, 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Just about to put this on.

Looking forward to this so much I came here to tell everyone.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

Just about to put this on.

Looking forward to this so much I came here to tell everyone.

:pac:

well, what did you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

emo72 wrote: »
    well, what did you think?

I went to bed. Sorry :-[

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

I went to bed. Sorry :-[

All that excitement must have tired you out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Why were there so many shots of the motorcyclist guy towards the end of the film? It felt like he was trying to chase Scarlett Johanson but it never lead anywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

She had gone off the reservation, so he's trying to get her back harvesting for the cause and/or trying to prevent her true nature from being revealed to a human like it almost did with the bus passenger fella about to have sex with her. He'd already bumped off the disfigured guy more likely for the second reason (and had risked being spotted as he kind of was).
    siblers wrote: »
    Why were there so many shots of the motorcyclist guy towards the end of the film? It felt like he was trying to chase Scarlett Johanson but it never lead anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Fago123

Amazing film, rattles around your head for hours afterwards (and I presume days too). Felt a big David Lynch influence throughout, and I thought the mixture of professional actors & random people off the street was a stroke of genius. Very unsettling in parts, some scenes in particular got the heart racing. Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,202 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm honestly not trolling or trying to inflame, as I know my opinion is contrary to most, but the film actually annoyed me. I genuinely thought this was one of the worst films I've seen in years.

I get everything they were trying to say with the film and Scarlett Johansson's acting was very good etc. But f*ck me. It spent over 100 minutes telling a story that could have been told in about 30 minutes and wasn't that interesting to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Penn wrote: »
    I'm honestly not trolling or trying to inflame, as I know my opinion is contrary to most, but the film actually annoyed me. I genuinely thought this was one of the worst films I've seen in years.

I get everything they were trying to say with the film and Scarlett Johansson's acting was very good etc. But f*ck me. It spent over 100 minutes telling a story that could have been told in about 30 minutes and wasn't that interesting to begin with.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, we need varying views

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

God, I dunno, I thought the pacing was ideal... it'd make no sense at all for it to faster. It's all about how the story's told, like?
    That scene at the beach alone was surely about 10 minutes alone and ideal
    . Don't think it quite handled the transition around the midway point perfectly but otherwise thought it was great.

Always feel like a bit of a hypocrite defending slow pacing when I know there wouldn't be a chance in hell of me sitting through it outside of a cinema though. It's also becoming a really lazy defense on my end for everything, "oh, well, you really need to see it in a cinema".

Also checked out Birth since, really liked it! It's a bit weird and whatever but Nicole Kidman's fantastic (that one close up!), so's Anne Heche. Doesn't quite work but I really liked what it was trying to do with how grief can mess with a person's head, etc.

It just felt like they spent half the film just showing shots of the landscape/city/van/people. A bit to set the mood, fair enough, but the first maybe half hour had about 10 minutes of actual story and 20 minutes of nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

Not 20 minutes of nothing, 20 minutes of mood setting right there!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It's not just mood building. There's plenty of characterisation in those quieter moments.

There may be little in terms of traditional plot but there's usually a lot going on at all times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film is all about the mood :) Glazer has pretty explicitly slashed away at the story (in a good way!) and reduced it to its most basic elements. It's less about the specifics of the plot, and more how scenes, images, shots, sounds, edits etc... communicate the film's themes and emotions. I loved how abstract and almost primal the film's storytelling was - it allowed the atmosphere to sink its claws in without excess exposition or explanation getting in the way, really capturing a fresh and 'alien' perspective in the process. The mystery and oddness was so rich and potent. Sci-fi isn't a genre that often enjoys a minimalist approach, so here it was very welcome indeed.

If a film is more about mood than story, it's not a good film imo.

There has to be a balance, and that's where my frustration lies because the balance is all wrong. As I said, it takes over 100 minutes to tell a story that could be told in well under an hour and isn't that interesting to begin with. There's "expressing themes and emotions through mood", and then there's "Now here's another 5 minutes of her driving a van"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If a film is more about mood than story, it's not a good film imo.

Well that's dismissing a whole lot of the greatest films ever made right off the bat! Certainly best avoiding Norte, The End of History at the moment :)

To me there's a bit of a distinction to be drawn between 'story' and 'plot'. IMO every scene in Under the Skin serves a general narrative - and by that I mean the character arc of the creature, the themes of the film and even the atmosphere (which is so tightly integrated with everything else I'm loath to separate it!). The only thing it's relatively light on are the literal specifics of the 'plot', the A -> B. It's not something like, say, The Dark Knight Rises, which is stuffed to the gills with forward momentum and dramatic events (to its detriment, even, given much of it plays out like a rapid montage). Under the Skin is 'freer' than that, and allows the scenes to play out at a more leisurely pace to allow real nuances and depths to emerge. Yes, the barebones events of the film could probably be covered in thirty minutes - but that wouldn't allow any time for the unnerving atmosphere or subtly told character arc to pack as much of a punch.
    If you take the beach scene as an example: yes that sequence's message could be transmitted by a character briefly explaining that the alien doesn't feel any human empathy or altruism. But the way it plays out, in such brutal, extended fashion, is infinitely more effective IMO. Same way some of the scenes of her painstakingly examining her body or having something resembling sex say what they have to say in a much more poetic and provocative way.

All that said, I wouldn't even say it's all that fair to say Under the Skin has much empty space - compared to the likes of Bela Tarr, it's positively hyperactive. But when you keep something in the frame longer than is - speaking in purely plot terms - necessary, a director can achieve far deeper insights. It allows a performance to sing (and Johannson is exemplary here in the quieter moments) and the viewer to immerse themselves far more intimately in the film's world. Under the Skin, for me, succeeds in that sense and then some. It's a film where I felt I worked for the film's many pleasures, as opposed to being given them - which sounds like a negative, but actually I was far more immersed and engaged than I would have been had it been more focused on the simple plot.

All strictly IMO of course :D

Well, I'd hardly try to compare it to the cinematic genius that is The Dark Knight Rises. It was never going to be quite in that league :D

All I'm saying is, the film could have been half as long and still achieved everything it wanted. But even at half the length I still wouldn't feel like it was worth watching. I didn't find the story, characters or ideas that interesting to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

All I'm saying is, the film could have been half as long and still achieved everything it wanted.
    Completely disagree, the long takes and contemplative moments serve as a kind of defamiliarization that makes the film's story, character and theme feel all the more striking and memorable. If the film had just shown things with quick cuts and then moved on it wouldn't have been anywhere near as effective imo. Glazer lingers on events because it's all about looking at the world through its alien character's point of view, if you run with it all the way it really makes you look at your surroundings in a really fresh and exciting way.

Advertisement