Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Now that's how you do a teaser trailer. I'm sure the plot-spoiling version will appear in time but for now it's a good example of how to tease a concept & plot; still not entirely sure what this is about, but there's enough hints and nods to get people thinking / excited. Certainly it seems like 'Interstellar' is not just a figurative title, but that it indeed does revolve around space travel.

Also, I've said it before but fair play to McConaughey (or his agent anyway) for turning his career around and becoming a 'proper' leading man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

krudler wrote: »

That's absolutely superb. It captures the spirit of science fiction so succinctly and the emotional drive that powers it. This tone is extremely encouraging for Interstellar. That's cheered me up no end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great teaser.

I especially love the ".....But we've lost all that" bit. It definitely hints at a human story of trying to go further than before to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I like the release as being "one year from now" not a specific date or just "November" or something, nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Well there's the next movie for me to constantly speculate over for the next year.
    Excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I've liked McConaughey of late, from spending so many years on rom-coms and throwaway fluff (with every poster of him leaning at an angle :pac:) you'd easily forget that he's a watchable and very talented actor.

Fortunately, something clicked for him to start flexing his acting chops in more meatier roles in the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I've liked McConaughey of late, from spending so many years on rom-coms and throwaway fluff (with every poster of him leaning at an angle :pac:) you'd easily forget that he's a watchable and very talented actor.

Fortunately, something clicked for him to start flexing his acting chops in more meatier roles in the past few years.

The 'close your eyes' scene from 'A Time To Kill' is still one of my favourite moments in a film.

He is a very good actor and it's to his credit that all the nonsense stuff doesn't seem to have damaged him, considering his roles in 'Mud' and 'Killer Joe'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

He was great in Contact, but then so was everybody. If Interstellar aims for that sort of smartish sci-fi, i'll be a happy man indeed.

I'd love for a culture shock/enigmatic landmark film like 2001 again, that inspires people about space travel and the universe solely again ,that has no real conflict/baddie as such just ideas, and Nolan probably the few that make such a movie of such scale and get it a mass audience

He left the masses talking about Inception, buh will he have them WTF-king even more this time?

The same way he got some roaring that was pure "****" and others "that was genius"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Hopefully this is the film of big ideas that Gravity wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I f*cking love Chris Nolan! this looks epic, if it goes like The Prestige/Inception it will require multiple viewings to pick up everything Nolan wants to show us! Like the Zimmer trailer theme very low key! Roll on "1 year from now" :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

I'm just glad that we live in a world where Christopher Nolan has studio backing to make a big budget original science fiction movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Judging from the trailer I reckon they all get attacked by space orcs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Everything Nolan directs turns to gold, not only is he visually brilliant but he also more importantly tells an engaging story.

Really looking forward to this next year.

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    I'm just glad that we live in a world where Christopher Nolan has studio backing to make a big budget original science fiction movie.

With the billions he's made Warner Bros at this stage I'd say he's one of the few directors who can get a blank cheque for whatever project he wants, are all his films perfect? No, but he's an A list director who sticks to his guns and use effects where needed instead of shoehorning them in everywhere instead of using real stunts and practical effects. I loved that the rotating corridor in Inception was done for real, it's the kind of stuff you rarely see in movies anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

are all his films perfect?

Yes.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

meh - wasn't blown away... hopefully it'll be ok

Actually couldn't really warm to Memento, must give that another spin! But everything else has been brilliant! And don't believe this will be any different! The teaser reminded me of The Right Stuff & Man Of Steel's Smallville farmland scenes and Contact! This will probably be the one movie I'll go to see in the Cinema next year! Also no fecking 3D which is great! Just a shame we still don't have an Imax screen for these movie events! I would pay good money to see all of Nolan's IMAX work on an IMAX screen!

Watched it again and still - meh.

Admittedly I'm very lukewarm on Nolan, but still... Don't get all the praise this teaser is getting. But sure, lots of praise for Contact around these parts and that's IMO one of the most overrated movies ever made.

Actually couldn't really warm to Memento, must give that another spin! But everything else has been brilliant! And don't believe this will be any different! The teaser reminded me of The Right Stuff & Man Of Steel's Smallville farmland scenes and Contact! This will probably be the one movie I'll go to see in the Cinema next year! Also no fecking 3D which is great! Just a shame we still don't have an Imax screen for these movie events! I would pay good money to see all of Nolan's IMAX work on an IMAX screen!

Would strongly advise you to watch Memento again, you have a better appreciation of the layers and structure of the film the second time round. In my opinion it's Nolan's best work (so far anyway).

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Watched it again and still - meh.

Admittedly I'm very lukewarm on Nolan, but still... Don't get all the praise this teaser is getting. But sure, lots of praise for Contact around these parts and that's IMO one of the most overrated movies ever made.

Overrated? I've met maybe two people in real life who actually like that film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭brevity

I don't think I've met any! It's a really good movie though. Wanted to watch it tonight but it's not on Netflix :(

I for one loved Contact one of Robert Zemeckis's best movies alongside Castaway, never considered Contact overrated! This has that kind of vibe with travelling through wormholes etc!
    I admit I'm a Nolan Fanboy, and possibly Intersteller will divide audiences, I know from that 2 minute teaser that I won't be disappointed! It's a pity someone like David Fincher cannot keep the same level of quality with his projects, I remember eagerly waiting for the follow up to Se7en to come out and get the flipping Game! such a disappointment! I found Fight Club while impressive visually, went up it's own arse! But I really enjoyed Zodiac, he really does Serial Killer movies well!
    Anyway I think Christopher Nolan now makes films that he wants to make and he has the backing of a studio who will let him do just that!

I keep seeing it pop up ... even once is too much... it's an awful movie with doesn't even vaguely try and make sense internally and talk about your hammy over-acting... Jodie Foster is just... unwatchably bad in it...

I for one loved Contact one of Robert Zemeckis's best movies alongside Castaway, never considered Contact overrated! This has that kind of vibe with travelling through wormholes etc!
    I admit I'm a Nolan Fanboy, and possibly Intersteller will divide audiences, I know from that 2 minute teaser that I won't be disappointed! It's a pity someone like David Fincher cannot keep the same level of quality with his projects, I remember eagerly waiting for the follow up to Se7en to come out and get the flipping Game! such a disappointment! I found Fight Club while impressive visually, went up it's own arse! But I really enjoyed Zodiac, he really does Serial Killer movies well!
    Anyway I think Christopher Nolan now makes films that he wants to make and he has the backing of a studio who will let him do just that!

It's funny, because while I agree that Fincher is very hit and miss, I also think that about Nolan and don't in any way think he's some incredible genius...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I get goosebumps watching that trailer, so excited that Chris Nolan is directing.

This could be another perfect movie like The Prestige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

A new poster:
    The tagline is amazing.

jbkNpzjkDg4BsO.jpg

What a difference a year makes. Funny to read a few posters at the start of this thread unhappy at McConaughey's casting. Seems like a real coup on Nolan's part now.

He was already starting to prove himself at that stage but now post Oscar win and True Detective he's more popular than ever.

read somewhere Nolan was impressed with McConaughey's performance in Mud, thus the casting thought he was pretty good in Contact all those years ago as well! Poster has an 80's Speilberg feel to it :-)

McConaughey has always been a great actor, he just took the easy money and spent a decade and a half headlining lowest common denominator trash.

• Advertisement

McConaughey has always been a great actor, he just took the easy money and spent a decade and a half headlining lowest common denominator trash.

Probably his Mrs told him to knuckle down and do some decent movies, instead of crap rom coms!
    Still Intersteller will be the highlight of my movie year!

btw Stefan Happy Tungsten what did you think of Wally's Transcendence? Mark Kamode did a piece defending it here http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/markkermode/posts/In-Defence-Of-Transcendence

Haven't seen it yet but is it that bad?

Advertisement