Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Going to see it tonight as well with the Missus, I am taking the mixed reviews as a good sign, as The Prestige also got mixed reviews on release, if its half as good as The Prestige I'll be delighted!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Going to see this tonight in the Screen No1 in Santry.
    The reviews don't worry me too much.
    I've been staying away and few of them seem to be from fans of science fiction, rather science fiction movies, an important distinction tbh.
    Going to avoid them and jump in with no preconceptions.
    It's been a great couple of years for hard Scifi, from Moon to Oblivion, Elysium to Looper, Coherence and Primer.
    Here's hoping this is part of the same pantheon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Going to see it tonight and without giving away any spoilers is there any physics I should bone up on ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 96 ✭✭mruser2014

I expect another over hyped film by Nolan.
    His last two outings have been dire and over rated by fans.
    Its amazing that if the critics have gotten this correct and it is average at best, the fanboys will still say it is amazing.
    People lap up Nolan's crap films. Its amazing what a bit of action and special effect will do for people.
    Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

mruser2014 wrote: »
    Its amazing that if the critics have gotten this correct and it is average at best, the fanboys will still say it is amazing.
    People lap up Nolan's crap films. Its amazing what a bit of action and special effect will do for people.
    Shame.

Troll needs feeding

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Squeedily Spooch

Shame.

His films aren't perfect but he's one of the most interesting blockbuster level directors in Hollywood today. Dark Knight Rises was a big disappointment but Inception was really good. Still think The Prestige is his best film by far though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭LowOdour

the_monkey wrote: »
    Going to see it tonight and without giving away any spoilers is there any physics I should bone up on ?

When a trip to the movies is preceded by the thoughts of 'boning up on physics', then it no longer becomes entertainment!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

LowOdour wrote: »
    When a trip to the movies is preceded by the thoughts of 'boning up on physics', then it no longer becomes entertainment!

'Boning up on physics' is probably a euphemism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Shame.

Please, do continue. Also, your thoughts on Michael Bay?

I have my tickets for Interstellar on Screen 1 at Liffey Valley tonight. Very excited! :D If it has a divisive ending, that can only be a good thing - much like Inception.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I thought it was long, laborious and dull, which is a shame as it is a great cast totally wasted. It's like Terence Malick did a sci-fi, and that is not a recommendation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It's a bit all over the shop and it's a little bit long.

But I think repeat viewings are key - i think it's going to get better every time you see it. Visually and aurally it's incredible, no surprise there from Nolan.

Will give it a few weeks and go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I thought it was rubbish to be honest. Way too long for my tastes, before anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Very mixed reviews out there.

I've heard that the first half or two thirds are excellent and it's an amazing visual treat but crashes hard towards the final act.

Will be interesting to see. Probably wait a week or so until the crowds die down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

For anyone who doesn't like it be sure and say "Interstellar? More like Inter"meh"llar!" Amirite?" when talking to your friends about it.

You can have that one for free thanks to your Uncle Roar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Liked it, liked it a lot. Glad that Hollywood is willing to finance something like this. Technically, it is very impressive. The first shots of space, you could hear a pin drop in the cinema and there's a real sense of awe and wonder.

I went in after hearing a few 'lower your expectations' grumblings over the past day or two. No doubt everyone will have a different take on this aspect, but for me, the film's beating heart is boundaries and borders. It's the relationships, food problems, the elemental aspects like time, the dust and scientific side. Curiosity plays a role, too, though less intellectually than one might think.. Despite what happens Up There, it didn't feel like there was any emotional (or any other) sort of disconnect from the events on Earth. I can't say if the physics was remotely accurate - glad they didn't feel that they had to dumb it down, mind.
    Naturally, there's a certain amount of peril and desperation here to keep things progressing. The wave is amongst the first, though I found the 23 years aging thing far more 'damn...' than anything water based.

I loved TARS. That and other elements - 2001 shout out for sure. The Apollo textbook thing was fun and reminded me of FX's The Americans - the notion of bankrupting the USSR through the space race. Matt Damon's character felt rogue pretty much from the off. The scene where Cooper says goodbye to young Murph (she was great) as a childhood is well done, certainly compared to what we've seen in other films. I hope Nolan stays away from the superhero universe for the future.

90% rule.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bloody hell, the reviewer on Movies and Booze was dropping a few too many spoilers on the radio today, had to sprint to the off button to preserve a fresh noggin going to see it later!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

*sighs* Where to begin?

Well I guess I should report on the 35MM in the Lighthouse. Beautiful print and I don't think anybody going out of their way to see it on said format will feel cheated, it was at least a great opportunity to see a new release on film as its becoming rarer. Sound mixing was fine (a problem with some of Nolan's films in the cinema) with the only issue being the audio cutting out completely for about 3 seconds at around the 20-25 minute mark. Whether that was a speaker issue or a problem with the print I can't say though.

As for the film, it's almost brilliant. It has some really awe-inspiring moments as well as those that border on being completely exasperating (especially in the last half hour). On the one hand I admire a film that takes this much of a chance with a big budget (gone are the action beats of his most recent big budget work) with it being relatively slow-paced and sombre in mood for a film as out and out mainstream. It however lacks the exciting momentum and clockwork precision of a film like Memento, Inception or The Prestige and isn't as rousing as his Batman trilogy. It feels oddly lifeless for a Nolan movie and leads to a film that is as exhausting as it is (frequently) amazing.

Feel like I'll be ducking bullets by saying this but I'd place it in a similar camp to this year's Transcendence. A thoughtful and admirable film that misses its mark only slightly. Like that film though I can see a good portion of the audience outright rejecting it for working on its own terms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I saw it on IMAX today - I had been looking forward to it since I first heard of it several months ago. It was truly amazing - there were a lot of jaw dropping moments, it was visually stunning and it had some very well drawn characters - the father daugher relationship was particularly sweet.

The best movie that I have seen yet - I would love to see it again on the big screen and will be buying the blue ray when it eventually comes out. A masterpiece and the reference to
    Rama
    near the end was nice.

I do feel that it could have done with another 30 minutes though or have been split into two movies as there were some loose ends that were minorly annoying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

e_e wrote: »
    *sighs* Where to begin?

Well I guess I should report on the 35MM in the Lighthouse. Beautiful print and I don't think anybody going out of their way to see it on said format will feel cheated, it was at least a great opportunity to see a new release on film as its becoming rarer. Sound mixing was fine (a problem with some of Nolan's films in the cinema) with the only issue being the audio cutting out completely for about 3 seconds at around the 20-25 minute mark. Whether that was a speaker issue or a problem with the print I can't say though.

As for the film, it's almost brilliant. It has some really awe-inspiring moments as well as those that border on being completely exasperating (especially in the last half hour). On the one hand I admire a film that takes this much of a chance with a big budget (gone are the action beats of his most recent big budget work) with it being relatively slow-paced and sombre in mood for a film as out and out mainstream. It however lacks the exciting momentum and clockwork precision of a film like Memento, Inception or The Prestige and isn't as rousing as his Batman trilogy. It feels oddly lifeless for a Nolan movie and leads to a film that is as exhausting as it is (frequently) amazing.

Feel like I'll be ducking bullets by saying this but I'd place it in a similar camp to this year's Transcendence. A thoughtful and admirable film that misses its mark only slightly. Like that film though I can see a good portion of the audience outright rejecting it for working on its own terms.

I was in the same screening as yourself, thankfully the sound cutting out didn't last long. You weren't one of the youngsters at the back who decided to take his shoes off and pop his feet up on the chair infront? :pac:

Great film I thought but I'm easily pleased when it comes to sci-fi. The only slight disappointment was one or two times the music was too loud and I couldn't understand what was being said. Not sure if that was deliberate or not though.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    I was in the same screening as yourself, thankfully the sound cutting out didn't last long. You weren't one of the youngsters at the back who decided to take his shoes off and pop his feet up on the chair infront? :pac:
    Haha nope. I was near the front and some of the sequences had me leaning back and clutching the arms of the seat. Saw Gravity in that screen too and the sensation of being in space had a similar effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

I really enjoyed it. A few contrivances etc but that didn't bother me. Strongly recommend it to anyone on the fence, best film I've seen in quite a while.

The one thing that did leave me confused was:

Cooper returns through the wormhole and is taken aboard "Cooper Station", initially he's chuffed that they named it after him but then we learn that it's named after Murph...

Now this confused me because I was under the impression that Cooper was his first name, an assumption backed up by the fact that his grandson was also named Coop, in his memory - was his grandson's name Cooper Cooper?

*sighs* Where to begin?

I'll take the bullets with you, I also enjoyed Transcendence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

For anyone who has seen it can you tell me how it compares with inception ?

Jumboman wrote: »
    What I love most of all about Inception is the clockwork precision of the way it's plotted, paced and edited. Thought all of that was lacking here but there is also a good bit of spectacle to temper it. That might be my favorite Nolan film after Memento so Interstellar maybe inevitably paled in comparison for me.

Jumboman wrote: »

It's not any way similar tbh. There's some mind bendy stuff in the final act and the idea behind time and relativity is pretty much the only comparison you can draw.

It's definitely overlong and the final act is something that will divide audiences, but it has moments of utter brilliance and even it's failures have to be admired.

It's certainly not a standard popcorn muncher and the shots of the ship spinning silently (actually silently, no sound at all in most of the space scenes aside from the odd bit of radio chatter and Zimmer's score in some of the setpieces) are spectacular looking,as is the
    going through the wormhole initially sequence

I genuinely didn't know that
    Matt Damon was in it, they kept that well hidden

I really enjoyed it. A few contrivances etc but that didn't bother me. Strongly recommend it to anyone on the fence, best film I've seen in quite a while.

The one thing that did leave me confused was:

Cooper returns through the wormhole and is taken aboard "Cooper Station", initially he's chuffed that they named it after him but then we learn that it's named after Murph...

Now this confused me because I was under the impression that Cooper was his first name, an assumption backed up by the fact that his grandson was also named Coop, in his memory - was his grandson's name Cooper Cooper?

No
    his second name is Cooper, his daughter is Murph Cooper sure, his son's wife might not have taken the son's last name I guess.

What I love most of all about Inception is the clockwork precision of the way it's plotted, paced and edited. Thought all of that was lacking here but there is also a good bit of spectacle to temper it. That might be my favorite Nolan film after Memento so Interstellar maybe inevitably paled in comparison for me.

Yeah the pacing is a bit all over the place, it goes from
    spending the bones of 45 setting up the family dynamic and the reveal of the space mission to them just being in space after a quick takeoff montage, no training for Cooper or anything. Being a pilot years before is just instant astronaut training apparently.

Also was it just me or
    was the shot in the trailers of the people holding hands as the rocket takes off not in the movie? I don't remember seeing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Oh
    I was sure that was Matt Damon, I just wasn't sure. Think I saw him in a trailer

Yeah the pacing is a bit all over the place, it goes from
    spending the bones of 45 setting up the family dynamic and the reveal of the space mission to them just being in space after a quick takeoff montage, no training for Cooper or anything. Being a pilot years before is just instant astronaut training apparently.
    Haha, yeah when that was going on I did have a flashback to Independence Day - We're looking for F18 pilots, can any of you drunken hicks fly a place?
    Also was it just me or
    was the shot in the trailers of the people holding hands as the rocket takes off not in the movie? I don't remember seeing it
    I'm pretty sure it was in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭ShetlandViking

Haha, yeah when that was going on I did have a flashback to Independence Day - We're looking for F18 pilots, can any of you drunken hicks fly a place?

I'm pretty sure it was in there.
    It wasn't

Advertisement