Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The John Murray Show

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Move PK to 9am, sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

He asked Ken Doherty this morning "But would parents not prefer if their children were composers rather than spending their time down some dingy snooker hall"... Thought this was rather insulting and condescending, especially given that Ken is trying to open up his own premises and try to identify talent at a young age..

And that theme song .. I HATE it.. :mad: .. it's almost disorientating..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

He asked Ken Doherty this morning "But would parents not prefer if their children were composers rather than spending their time down some dingy snooker hall"... Thought this was rather insulting and condescending, especially given that Ken is trying to open up his own premises and try to identify talent at a young age..

And that theme song .. I HATE it.. :mad: .. it's almost disorientating..

Dont know about the parents but if I remember correctly from the Ken thread this is in line with your thinking Flut?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

I had a wild fantasy of myself and Twink together. She would be roaring , talking dirty and and screaming phrases like "zip up yer mickey" . It was harmless enough of a fantasy . My fantasy was destroyed on the John Murray show on Wed 29th when I discovered from Dustin that Twink wears Y Fronts. Now I feel she probably also wears a sring vest and has bum cleavage. Thanks John you shattered my dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmm after a fairly good start Thomas has disappointed me.

Way too much guff about celebrities and pop bands and she nearly creamed her flimsies with the Nix interview this morning.

A few interviews dissolved into nothing as well, the guys in the Hostel, she was unable to get a rapport going and the interviews ended abruptly.

what is she 34 or 5 time the Oxygen crap was left behind.

R1 listeners don't go for that tabloid shoooite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Slagging Mickey Harte and playing "Pretty Little Girl From Omagh" (supposedly as a joke) to a man that lost his daughter less than six months ago :eek:.. He's not funny and has no cop on.. I didnt think he could do a worse intro than his intro where he read out a letter supposedly from the queen to David Cameron, but he's managed it.. It's time for RTE to bin their two 9am fiascos..

I see that 'humorous' section on John Murray's Show some months ago caused offence to Mickey Harte. I'm not surprised, it was nasty and inconsiderate ...

Statement from the Tyrone GAA County Board ...

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/tyrone-county-board-explain-reason-behind-rte-blackout-194552-Aug2011/

A number of weeks ago the Senior Football Manager in conjunction with several other GAA managers wrote a letter marked Private and Confidential to two senior people within the RTÉ organisation. In this letter Mickey Harte expressed his own and a number of other managers’ concern at the disproportionate absence of Brian Carthy from his role as a radio commentator. The contents of the letter made their way into the public domain and the managers’ concerned can categorically state that they were not the source of that leak.

Due to the portrayal of the said letter, at least one other broadcaster within the organisation acted in a most insensitive manner in the choice of their programme dialogue in a morning radio show soon after. Inappropriate references to the fact that the Tyrone manager Mickey Harte was associated with the Dali Lama conference in Limerick and the choice of the song “Pretty Little Girl from Omagh” will give you an indication of the complete lack of sensitivity the presenter in question afforded the Harte family and Michaela’s husband John McAreavey, in what remains for them a very difficult time.

We hope that this statement clarifies for the general public why Mickey Harte, his management team and the players have chosen not to co-operate with RTÉ at this time.

Skid wrote: »
    I see that 'humorous' section on John Murray's Show some months ago caused offence to Mickey Harte. I'm not surprised, it was nasty and inconsiderate ...

aha, now it makes sense.. I'd noticed a lot of comments coming in to my youtube account about that sketch in the last week..

I also got a warning about copyright from Youtube, so I'm not sure if you'll still be able to see it.. Horrific stuff from Murray, he should have apologised for it the next day when the complete insensitivity of the item..

aha, now it makes sense.. I'd noticed a lot of comments coming in to my youtube account about that sketch in the last week..

I also got a warning about copyright from Youtube, so I'm not sure if you'll still be able to see it.. Horrific stuff from Murray, he should have apologised for it the next day when the complete insensitivity of the item..

Yeah, RTE have blocked it now, unfortunately.

When you consider that the sketch was planned and rehearsed before it went to air, someone should have pulled the plug on it.

Frankly, you would expect better from Radio 1.

Joe.ie report on this now, and they have a link to JonathonAnon's blocked clip (same URL)

Maybe you should sue them, Jonathan!

http://www.joe.ie/gaa/gaa-news/rte-removes-link-to-offensive-john-murray-show-sketch-0014705-1
    RTE has removed links from its website to the show which caused so much offence to Mickey Harte that the Tyrone manager ceased all communication with the national broadcaster.

Harte and his players have refused to offer any post-match reaction to RTE this summer and the Red Hand manager will once again blank the station’s representatives before and after Saturday evening’s All-Ireland quarter-final against Dublin.

The triple All-Ireland winning boss released a statement earlier today in which he outlined the reasons behind the row with RTE, namely the leaking of a letter which criticised the station for its treatment of experienced commentator Brian Carthy and a comedy sketch which included the song “Pretty Little Girl from Omagh”, seen as particularly insensitive less than six months after the murder of Harte’s daughter Michaela in Mauritius.
    The broadcaster has since blocked YouTube clips of the sketch in question, which was broadcast on the John Murray Show on Radio 1 on Thursday 9 June.

RTE also removed the playback link from the show’s archives on its website, as well as releasing a statement in which it said it sincerely regretted any offence caused.

The RTE statement reads:
    “RTÉ Radio 1's John Murray Show presents, each morning, a satirical and humorous synopsis of the day's big news stories. On June 9 the programme covered a widely reported controversy involving Mickey Harte.

“RTÉ understands and appreciates that the item offended Mr Harte. It is never RTÉ's intention to knowingly offend any individual, and RTÉ sincerely regrets any offence caused. This sincere regret was immediately and personally communicated to Mr Harte by RTÉ management.

“RTÉ wishes to clarify that it did not leak the contents of the letter referred to in today's statement by the Tyrone GAA Senior Football Management and Players. RTÉ treated the correspondence as private and confidential, and was mindful of the need for discretion in all public statements it was called upon to make.

“It is RTÉ's hope that, in the public interest of all those who follow gaelic games, the matter can be resolved.”

Dear JonathanAnon,

Your video, The John Murray Show - Comedy Intro June 9th 2011, may have content that is owned or licensed by RTE.

No action is required on your part; however, if you're interested in learning how this affects your video, please visit the Content ID Matches section of your account for more information.

Sincerely,
    - The YouTube Team

fkn RTE, I mean it's not like I was gaining from having posted this, or that I edited it to make them look bad.. nor did I describe it negatively in the description... It's so bad you might THINK that I edited it, but alas this is all their own work.. If you are gonna allow something like that to be broadcast, the least you can do is either a) stand over it or b) apologise for it..

• Advertisement

Skid wrote: »
    Joe.ie report on this now, and they have a link to JonathonAnon's blocked clip (same URL)

I'm heading out to work tonight.. but I'm gonna upload it again later under a different name (shhhhhhhhh! :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Mickey Harte should continue his boycott of RTE. They really are Scumbags.

He should make a point of being as available as possible to Tv3, newstalk, utv etc.

Jesus, it seems that somebody appears to have re-uploaded the audio, with a very provocative username, let me tell you.. ;)

I want to set this as a test to the RTE Archive to see how quick they can get it pulled.. I would be fine if they were pulling it for copyright, or if I was benefitting somehow from using their material... but it seems the only reason they pulled this one (and none of the other videos I uploaded) is because people actually got to hear what Murray said..

Like I said before, they either stand over what he said and should let it BE heard, or they should get him to apologise for it....

^ cheers Jon, I hadn't heard it,
    you would think when the shower of fcukwits were compiling the piece, someone would have said, "you know, Mickey Harte has had a devastating year, maybe we shouldn't be poking fun at him, especially using this song"

but no, the talk in the RTE canteen was probably that it's open season on Harte because he dared to tell us how to run our sports dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭easychair

I can't understand how anyone enjoys this guy. He isn't funny, full stop . RTE need to get a grip, and realise they are pissing our money away making crap like this.

Why does RTE need to do anything? They get "our" money no matter what they do, and RTE is run more for the convenience of the staff than anything else (think of Marian Finucane, for example, who broadcasts 4 hours a week, does less than 40 weeks a year, and is paid hundreds of thousands of the licence payers money).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

A very interesting interview with Simon Young this morning.
    I suppose the law of averages dictates that something worth listening to would crop up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

padd b1975 wrote: »
    A very interesting interview with Simon Young this morning.
    I suppose the law of averages dictates that something worth listening to would crop up eventually.

Indeed - what a comparison between Simon Young and Gareth O'Callaghan who has had some similar problems but a real poor me/ victim attitude.

What made the interview good was that Murray mostly shut up and let SY tell his story.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Indeed - what a comparison between Simon Young and Gareth O'Callaghan who has had some similar problems but a real poor me/ victim attitude.

What made the interview good was that Murray mostly shut up and let SY tell his story.
    I could not agree more. Less of the smart alec tone and some more interesting guests might just turn that car crash of a programme around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hadn't heard that Mickey Harte piece (I avoid Murray's hour mostly) but pretty shocking that someone gave the go ahead for it, I failed to see the humour (and am far from a Tyrone fan) and the editing is brutal too.
    I wonder has someone sent this off to the BCC? I've noticed shows and presenters get their wings clipped for less...
    As for the broadcaster's attempt to sweep it under the carpet...you broadcast it, at least have the gall to stand by it and issue an apology, not try to pretend it didn't happen by removing links; that just makes it look worse tbh.
    Well done Jonathanon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I could not agree more. Less of the smart alec tone and some more interesting guests might just turn that car crash of a programme around.

Spot on there.

Like most of us have been saying around here, less of the crappy 'comedy'.

Good interview,and in fairness to Murray as the poster said, he let Simon Young get on with it.

I listened to the whole prog. for the first time in yonks as a result.

Clarke!!! are you listening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JMSE

I like the John Murray show, his wisecracks at the start of the show can be fairly good. I didnt like the Simon Young interview though, after about 10 minutes of him trying to get into the tale, I lost interest and switched over. Its not rude to do that in the privacy of your own car but when you announce it here on a public forum then I suppose it is, sorry Simon.

In general I prefer Murrays format to that of Tubridys when the slot was his.

JMSE wrote: »
    I like the John Murray show, his wisecracks at the start of the show can be fairly good. I didnt like the Simon Young interview though, after about 10 minutes of him trying to get into the tale, I lost interest and switched over. Its not rude to do that in the privacy of your own car but when you announce it here on a public forum then I suppose it is, sorry Simon.

In general I prefer Murrays format to that of Tubridys when the slot was his.
    As a regular listener perhaps you could outline some highlights from the past 12 months or so? Maybe I am missing something but the general agreement around here is that the show has been dying on its arse pretty much from the get go.

Normal service has been resumed.
    Absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭decies

Jesus is this the worst radio show in the world !!! The start of this show , never mind!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What what what? Murray has the comic sensibilities and timing of Bobby Chariot so I can only hope he was quipping about the riots.

Normal service has been resumed.
    Absolute rubbish.

The comedy intro was again rubbish today..But I mean what did RTE expect when they moved him there.. He was doing a business show, and they expect him to put on clown shoes and tell knock knock jokes.. He's not funny, and he shouldnt try to be..

The interview with Simon Young was very interesting yesterday though.. Listened to it on the podcast..

I don't really listen to him, did he make any attempt at an apology for the Harte "comedy" sketch?

Poly wrote: »
    I don't really listen to him, did he make any attempt at an apology for the Harte "comedy" sketch?
    As far as I know RTE apologised privately to the Harte family, having said that I am of the belief that if you insult and humiliate someone publicly your apology should also be public.

The comedy intro was again rubbish today..But I mean what did RTE expect when they moved him there.. He was doing a business show, and they expect him to put on clown shoes and tell knock knock jokes.. He's not funny, and he shouldnt try to be..

The interview with Simon Young was very interesting yesterday though.. Listened to it on the podcast..
    I remember Simon Young from both radio and tv, he sure could teach Murray a thing or 2 about natural warmth and good humour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Imhof Tank wrote: »

Have you suffered from depression, i hope not.

I really enjoyed the interview and great to hear him back ( but he has doen Christmas FM ).

Advertisement