Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super (2010)

Options
  • 26-08-2010 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

Super-Short-Poster-Rainn-Wilson-29-7-10-kc.jpg

This got some great press at ComicCon and the trailer that aired there was meant to be fantastic. Snippets of the panel below:

Who would win in a fight - Dwight or Mal?

It's got a cracking cast (including Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon, Nathan Fillion) and is directed by James Gunn (who wrote and directed the hugely under-rated 'Slither').

Rumours are it hasn't been picked up by a distributor as of yet.. so might wind up going straight to DVD.

Synopsis and IMDb page below:
    After his wife falls under the influence of a drug dealer, an everyday guy transforms himself into Crimson Bolt, a superhero with the best intentions, though he lacks for heroic skills.

IMDb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

basquille wrote: »

It's got a cracking cast (including Rainn Wilson, Ellen Page, Liv Tyler, Kevin Bacon, Nathan Fillion) and is directed by James Gunn (who wrote and directed the hugely under-rated 'Slither').

Rumours are it hasn't been picked up by a distributor as of yet.. so might wind up going straight to DVD.

Synopsis and IMDb page below:
    IMDb

The snyopsis sounds a bit sh!t but the bolded bit above is enough for me to want to watch it

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Even Ellen Page's presence prob wouldnt deter me from watching a new Fillion movie.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Will keep an eye out for this, thought Slither was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The snyopsis sounds a bit sh!t but the bolded bit above is enough for me to want to watch it

Me too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Will keep an eye out for this, thought Slither was great.

my god! hes hysterical!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Must keep an eye out for this-Fillion is underrated imo,very good in Slither and Serenity/Firefly.
    Could be a good run for him if he gets the gig for the Uncharted movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

Great to see some Bob Stencil, I've been waiting for his latest Comic-con report to show up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Sounds very much like Defendor....which was a pretty good film imo. Seems like alot of "realistic" superhero stuff is out or coming out, Kick-Ass, The Cape, Mystery Men etc.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

^ :eek: - bloody hell!...more psycho then super, he's supposed to be a good guy??????? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ha... that clip was great! :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,136 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

It says the video's not available in my country. Seemingly it means Mayo :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

listening to the Film Junk podcast (www.filmjunk.com) some time ago, the guys reviewed this after seeing it at Toronto Film Festival if i remember correctly, it got good reviews, quite a dark movie overall, i'm looking forward to seeing it some day soon hopefully!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It says the video's not available in my country. Seemingly it means Mayo :(
    Look underneath it..

Bump..

A theatrical trailer has been released

Looks like good fun!

Basq wrote: »
    Bump..

A theatrical trailer has been released

Looks like good fun!
    video not available?

Adam wrote: »
    video not available?
    No problem viewing it here..

Here's a YT link:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks very funny. Hope it doesn't get overlooked due to similarities with KickAss.

I'll be looking out for this on dvd.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Looks very funny. Hope it doesn't get overlooked due to similarities with KickAss.

It reminds me more of Defendor....i don't trust that trailer to reflect the movie or tone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭leposean

This movie just has to be made!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Cinema or DVD.... It will be mine, oh yes, it will be mine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

It reminds me more of Defendor....i don't trust that trailer to reflect the movie or tone.
    I'd imagine it's a very accurate reflection of the tone of the film.

I also think that the tone mixed with the concept makes it's unlike anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i thought we get the news of SUPER 8!

looks really like a Kickass (except now being a loser husband losing his wife), but i am totally sold because Helen page is in it :D

Looks a bit darker and more set in the "real" world than Kick-Ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Christ, Kevin Bacon stubbornly refuses to age one little bit...

Seriously would like to have some if what he is having

this was picked up by IFC Midnight for distribution in some form next month apparently.

Just a heads up, this movie is out.....gonna check this one out tonight and report back.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw this last night at Sci-Fi London and really enjoyed it. Funny, nasty, vicious and for the most part uncompromising, this is well worth checking out. Have a look at the awesome opening sequence if you don't believe me.

My only disappointment with it was that
    for most of the film, Frank is presented as a possibly-schizophrenic misfit whose actions have repercussions - but at the very end of the film, there are no consequences for him. None of Libby's friends link him to her sudden disappearance, nobody seems to have investigated the police officer's death, and it's all a bit too neatly tied up.

All in all, definitely worth watching if you want a slightly different take on the superhero genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Is this showing anywhere in Dublin?

Advertisement