Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Studying medicine/dentistry/veterinary in Eastern Eurpope

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

Are the points any different in places like Eastern Europe

520 for budapest-medicine-plus a good entrance exam.500 for other places in hungary.
    Dont think the czech republic care much bout points though

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mad al

Do you mind me asking you what points did you have in the leaving cert and have you heard of anyone who has been accepted with around 400 points?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

mad al wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking you what points did you have in the leaving cert and have you heard of anyone who has been accepted with around 400 points?

Well,im not in a med school but i did my leaving lst yr and got 575 but missed out on a place.If u are good at biology and chem(at least a2 standard in the leaving)and study them hard then you may be able to get into one of the other hungarian unis(szeged or pecs).I know 1 or 2 irish ppl studying at these unis so i can put u in contact if u want.Bear in mind though,that drop out rates are very high and its not a degree that u can just "buy" lik a lot of ppl think

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mad al

Thanks very much for the reply. However I think I am just going to continue with my current biomed degree and thinks about the GAMSAT exam after that. I think this course will give me a good basis for graduate entry medicine. I dont think I am at a high enough level yet. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JohnPaulM

What universities in Eastern Europe teach medicine in English?

Are all entrees based on Leaving Cert points?

Are there usually any other prerequisites?

Do any of them use the GAMSAT system?

Thank you : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Anyone studying veterinary in Eastern Europe, with some helpful websites for dates for entrance exams etc.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

anyone going to budapest this year for medicine ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 euroafrican09

hey,

there are a few fibs going on here about medicine in Hungary and needing 500 points+ to get in etc.... i got 420 and have no science background and just sat the entrance exam there last week... granted i am a graduate from arts and i sat the gamsat in march too.... i studied alot for the exam and did OK i felt.

LC is not the b all and end all if you really want to do medicine and didn't get the 600 point necessary dont throw in the towel so many options available to you.

also gamsat is not accepted here just the entrance exam that they set and then a interview which lasts about 25 mins where they ask you more questions on chem and biology and about yourself, reasons for studying and why you wanna be a doctor etc..

here is the student union website and the english program website links

http://isas.hu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2249&Itemid=275

http://www.semmelweis-english-program.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=66&limit=1&limitstart=2

hope all this helps and clears up some stuff !!!

hey anto yeah think i am waiting on letter of acceptance from them how about yourself you get the nod already?

hey anto yeah think i am waiting on letter of acceptance from them how about yourself you get the nod already?

yep finishing off a radiography degree this year so was accepted without entrance exam. I'm not sure what i'm doing yet but i think i'm going to wait a year. Hopefully i do well enough in the gamsat in september to get into UK or Ireland.

• Advertisement

was thinking the same myself but to be honest i think im gonna start in sept in hungary and sit gamsat too... bit tough but might be worth it! have you sat gamsat already? any body else starting in 2010 out there for medicine?

was thinking the same myself but to be honest i think im gonna start in sept in hungary and sit gamsat too... bit tough but might be worth it! have you sat gamsat already? any body else starting in 2010 out there for medicine?

No i never sat Gamsat before. I was thinking of doing something similar but i can't really afford to be throwing away 10000 if i get in next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Don Keypunch

hey,

granted i am a graduate from arts and i sat the gamsat in march too.... i studied alot for the exam and did OK i felt.

How did you get on in the GAMSAT?

ant043 wrote: »
    No i never sat Gamsat before. I was thinking of doing something similar but i can't really afford to be throwing away 10000 if i get in next year.

fair enough but bit risky if you dont get it... you have to wait for sep 2011 which is a full year... sure whatever you think!!! recommend the guru method study manuals for it and the grad med revision course dont bother with the english section of it though.... thought it was the biggest waste of money and time your man who does it is an eejit as well..!!

How did you get on in the GAMSAT?

got 50 thought the exam went awful on the day for me and was expecting a fail couldnt believe i even passed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AnBealBocht

anyone going to budapest this year for medicine ?

Enlighten me guys: In my day ( M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., UCD x 1968) the medical schools in Ireland graduated approx. 500 new doctors of Medicine/year. THEN the Republic could absorb about 120 of these graduates. The rest of us ( including myself>>>USA>>NYC>>>Phoenix, AZ) went abroad ( &, in my case, remained abroad.)
    What is different today?. Can Ireland now absorb & provide a living for all its Medical Schools graduates. ( How many now/year?) If NOT, why go abroad to Eastern Europe ( Hungary seems to be the most popular, Why?) to study Medicine?.
    Gura maith agaibh, a chara.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Enlighten me guys: In my day ( M.B., B.Ch., B.A.O., UCD x 1968) the medical schools in Ireland graduated approx. 500 new doctors of Medicine/year. THEN the Republic could absorb about 120 of these graduates. The rest of us ( including myself>>>USA>>NYC>>>Phoenix, AZ) went abroad ( &, in my case, remained abroad.)
    What is different today?. Can Ireland now absorb & provide a living for all its Medical Schools graduates. ( How many now/year?) If NOT, why go abroad to Eastern Europe ( Hungary seems to be the most popular, Why?) to study Medicine?.

Check out the Fottrell report for more info on the numbers involved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

ratio is pretty much still the same i would imagine
    What is different today?.
    the reasons you went abroad for probably are still there, i.e crappy training, long training, crappy training conditions
    Can Ireland now absorb & provide a living for all its Medical Schools graduates.
    no
    If NOT, why go abroad to Eastern Europe ( Hungary seems to be the most popular, Why?) to study Medicine?.

because they want to become doctors one way or another.... their goal is probably becoming a doctor rather than living in ireland for ever.

hungary has some of the best medschools in the world + im not sure about hungary exactly but poland/bulgaria etc are dirt cheap, cheaper than say big 4 carib.(SABA, SGU, ROSS, AUC)

there arent that many countries that dont need foreign doctors, most countries do, in ireland we need them because they dont care if they have crappy working conditions, they had worse in their home country

in america you need them to fill primary care spots, most USMGs avoid FM, IM, psych, paeds etc like the plague, unless they want to land prestigous fellowships or actually get prestigous residencies (harvard/john hopkins etc etc), thats why you'll never come across an irish dermatologist in america ;), there are about 30 derma spots in all of america, and when a IMG/FMG gets that derma spot, you can bet he's the PD's son/daughter/brother/cousin etc etc

so how come you havent been deported from arizona yet...? snap :P

Hi guys

Just wondering if there any other people from boards planning to study in Budapest ?

hey anto heading in sept myself for medicine! you heading over yourself?

• Advertisement

Not 100 percent sure yet to be honest. Just wish I could make a decisive decision. Suppose I'm too much a home bird lol.

yeah same as myself will miss the home comforts alright! sure let us know when you make up ur mind and we'll get in contact if you decide to go!

yeah same as myself will miss the home comforts alright! sure let us know when you make up ur mind and we'll get in contact if you decide to go!

Will do. Just out of interest did you pay the deposit yet ?

hey yeah have paid the deposit there... awaiting confirmation though

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DavieDude

Hey Lads! I Know this sounds like an ideal world's dream but I'm heading into 5th Year in Sept. I want to study medicine but I feel I would'nt be able to make the grade...I have been thinking long and hard about studying in Hungary...What LC Points would I need to aim for? Whats the competition for Course places like? What hons subs would be best? and Which Science subjects would be best?

Ive kinda been a dosser for most of my J.C and TY -( Although my TY Program encouraged this) but I have made up my mind to become focused and willing to work....I have had a good few fatal health related issues happen with family members lately and in the Past...Some of which have survived and I have promised myself I want to do whatever I can to decrease the amount of pain people suffer, throughout the world but doing my bit. Its really focus me and I know its what I want to do...Help people and cure them.

Sounds a bit of a soppy story I know I know ...:o:o:o but its the truth.

Ive been thinking of Physiotherapy for a while and i have been wondering if a ordinary degree (Level 7- I think its level 7 for ordinary hons. degree) in health science and Physiology will bypass the interview process or exam...I know one of them can be bypassed..forget which :P..

Anyways, sorry for the questions and such...please try to answer as many as possible...=)

thanks guys..

Dave..:pac::pac:

DavieDude wrote: »
    Hey Lads! I Know this sounds like an ideal world's dream but I'm heading into 5th Year in Sept. I want to study medicine but I feel I would'nt be able to make the grade...I have been thinking long and hard about studying in Hungary...What LC Points would I need to aim for? Whats the competition for Course places like? What hons subs would be best? and Which Science subjects would be best?

Ive kinda been a dosser for most of my J.C and TY -( Although my TY Program encouraged this) but I have made up my mind to become focused and willing to work....I have had a good few fatal health related issues happen with family members lately and in the Past...Some of which have survived and I have promised myself I want to do whatever I can to decrease the amount of pain people suffer, throughout the world but doing my bit. Its really focus me and I know its what I want to do...Help people and cure them.

Sounds a bit of a soppy story I know I know ...:o:o:o but its the truth.

Ive been thinking of Physiotherapy for a while and i have been wondering if a ordinary degree (Level 7- I think its level 7 for ordinary hons. degree) in health science and Physiology will bypass the interview process or exam...I know one of them can be bypassed..forget which :P..

Anyways, sorry for the questions and such...please try to answer as many as possible...=)

thanks guys..

Dave..:pac::pac:

hey dave,

fair play to you... if you feel that strongly about it this early im sure getting in will not be a problem if you work hard over the next 2 years.

the best advice i can give you is to do both biology and chemistry, the entrance exam is based mainly on these two topics. the interview which follows after the exam on the same day is based mainly on your personal experiences etc and in depth biology questions..you dont need a degree for hungary prior to enrolling if you pass the exam and the interview you will get the place straight out of school.... on the other hand if you are doing the gamsat you would need a degree in something prior to sitting that exam!!!

in terms of competition for the colleges in hungary im not too sure to be honest!! there were about 60 people from dublin in the exam. but again your against students from all over europe so dunno how many sat it!!

to be honest put the head down and try get the 480 with the hpat to do it in dublin it would be a lot cheaper and more accredited....!!! you have 2 years so plenty of time to get cracking!!!

hope this helps you in some way! best of luck with it all .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 John432

Hey Anto im also doing radiography (going into final year) with the intention of doing medicine. I was initially thinking of doing the gamsats in 2011 but am now considering eastern europe. could you tell me which college accepted you without an entrance exam and does that mean you were automatically accepted or are there still interviews and if so how competitive are they?
    yep finishing off a radiography degree this year so was accepted without entrance exam. I'm not sure what i'm doing yet but i think i'm going to wait a year. Hopefully i do well enough in the gamsat in september to get into UK or Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 juliaz

Hey guys:)

I am planning on going to Budapest for Vet medicine in 2011. How is it there? : ) i am doing pre-vet one year in the USA just to touch up on some subjects and all.

Hope to talk to you guys soon,

=] julia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I'm a dentist qualified almost 10 years. I'd advise any of you determined to pursue a career in health sciences of the genuinely horrendous work situation in ireland at present. So many of my colleagues are out of work at present. i'm struggling to fill a 3 day week. the reason-the state slashed cover for medical card holders!
    I concur with beal bocht. Be mindful of where you can work after your degree. I can only speak for my own sector. I hope the meds aint hit so hard.Also the state is afraid to hit gps i feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 UndertheBridge

Thinking of going this route also. Finished year one of a Radiotherapy degree and currently debating whether to continue with the second.

I thought seriously about medicine in 5th year and LC but eventually said.."nah I'll never get the points"...got plenty of points and now I'm seriously regretting my decision back then.

So back onto the point of this...anybody for Eastern Europe in Sept 2011?

Advertisement