Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super (2010)

2»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,116 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Enjoyed thefilm a lot (for want of a better word), the trailer definitely sets the wrong tone, though it is very very funny in parts it's also quite disturbing in others which results in the movie being quite eneven as a whole. Well worth watching though, just be prepared from some severely messed up stuff!! :)
    Fysh wrote: »

My only disappointment with it was that
    for most of the film, Frank is presented as a possibly-schizophrenic misfit whose actions have repercussions - but at the very end of the film, there are no consequences for him. None of Libby's friends link him to her sudden disappearance, nobody seems to have investigated the police officer's death, and it's all a bit too neatly tied up.

I agree with you there although I guess it
    could all be a delsuion there maybe consdering Frank is bat**** crazy??

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

phasers wrote: »
    Is this showing anywhere in Dublin?
    It got a VERY limited release in the US, so I'd say it'll go straight-to-video here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Basq wrote: »
    It got a VERY limited release in the US, so I'd say it'll go straight-to-video here.
    Damn! I thought with a cast like that it'd get a wider release.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone seen it?....caught it a couple of days ago. it started slow but got progressively better, especially toward the end. it's got a decent cast with familiar faces....even Zach Gilford from FNL turns up. It actually had some genuine scenes/shockers i didn't see coming
    the cop getting shot, Crisom's sidekick getting her face blown off

But a great and hillarious LOL scene was
    Crimson getting raped by his sidekick! :D

That was a gas scene, i really enjoyed it....twas cheesy as hell, generic story, bit of OTT gore...nothing too heavy, budget wasn't too bad. An enjoyable 90 mins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Seems this Superhero flick in the vein of Kick ass has gone to straight to DVD over here. Pity as its a pretty dark and nasty comedy drama starring Rainn Wilson from the american version of THE OFFICE as Nerdy loner turned Superhero who's out to save his wife (liv Tyler, slightly wasted part for her) from Kevin Bacon's drug dealer (great in a small role). But what makes this film special is that Probably it holds the best performance from Ellen Page (yes even better then JUNO) as slight nutty Sidekick of Wilson's.

its no lost classic but its well worth checking out considering it was made on a $2 million dollar budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Dr. Bad Touch

Rainn Wilson is awesome, I want to see it just because of him, wish I could say the same about Ellen Page :/ Is it out here on Dvd already??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Rainn Wilson is awesome, I want to see it just because of him, wish I could say the same about Ellen Page :/ Is it out here on Dvd already??

its been released this month. it was released last year in The states in cinemas. Ellen page is the best thing about it to be fair. Wilson plays the straight role in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I'm sorry but it still looks ****ing awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

This was shown in some cinemas in the UK a few weeks ago, why didn't anyone in Ireland pick it up I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Comes out tomorrow on blu ray or if people want to wait until Monday when it gets it's UK blu ray release, then it can be got for £9 on amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Saw it a month or two back and absolutely loved it!

Think I'll definitely be picking it up on Blu-ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,465 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

My God, absolutely everyone needs to see this! I'm a huge fan of Kickass, it was a highly entertaining blockbuster, and a big fan of Defendor, a real sad tale of heroism. This was just so brilliant, everyone in it did a brilliant job. This deserves to be on the big screen!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,076 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I thought Kick Ass was overrated tripe, but this was underrated breath of fresh air. First comedy I've truly enjoyed in a long time. I love James Gunn because he probes those sadistic depths others only suggest. Yes, there is plenty of shocking violence in this -
    the image of Libby with half her face blown off or the sure to be infamous wrench outside the cinema.
    But there's real bite to it as well - a superhero comedy that actually has the balls to probe the the very nature of how superheros work, and how an unthinking audience consumes it.

It helps, naturally, that's it's very very funny.

But yeah, watch this. It has the guts that Mark Millar thinks he has, but really doesn't. Ellen Page has never been better (and her character is probably the best parody of the fetishism of female heroes), and James Gunn has an eye for the occasional moment of visual invention too. Wildly tonally inconsistent, and the plot is a bit all over the place (the detective subplot could have easily been excised without any ill-effect) but it's boldly confrontational and wildly entertaining enough to become something more than the sum of its parts.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Received my copy on DVD the other day and I'm looking forward to watching it again at the weekend. Totally agree about it actually committing to plumbing the depths in a way that Mark Millar and plenty of others pretend to but shy away from (to be honest, Garth Ennis is the only comic writer I can think of that's come close to this and even then he occasionally craps the bed with his attempts at humour).

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭footie_fanatic

surprisingly good film, i really enjoyed it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

watched this 2 nights ago.. i had been up for 2 days straight, and i couldnt believe it. i thought i was either heavily medicated or just sleep deprived...

the film was shocking. ive never seen anything like it before. my stomach hurt so much from laughter
    but i was shocked at the scene where jolty well... dies...
    overall, one of the best if not the best films ive seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I didn't find this film funny at all tbh (though I did think it was quite a good film).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I thought this movie was really enjoyable. The over the top violence makes it. Great movie. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭roganjosh

I was expecting this film to ba a lot better. Thought I was gonna love it but it just got weirder and weirder. Started off quite good, very funny, then got weird and just fell apart towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Definitely thought this film was a bit weird. Might have to watch it again.

I want my own Boltie, she's so incredibly hot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

that sure was a bit violent:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hedge11

G-Money wrote: »
    Definitely thought this film was a bit weird.

... I want my own Boltie, she's so incredibly hot.

Ellen Page "hot"? Now that is weird ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Watched this after someone posted a clip in another thread , the whole film is on YouTube , I've seen a lot of diss appointing films lately but this film I thought was fantastic

Advertisement