Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Camera? **Please read OP first**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Hi guys,

With the Mk III out, I think it's time I took the plunge on a 5D MkII. It's to replace a camera I had stolen and for which I got some insurance money.

I'm looking outside of Ireland for one, and I think it makes sense to go for one from a dealer who can offer a guarantee. I've been recommended Ffordes. Are there any other such dealers I can compare prices with? Links would be really helpful.

I would then go about sourcing lenses on eBay.

Do you think between now and June, the prices for Mk II's will fall more?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭shaunandelly

Don't know. The price hike to the mk111 may make the mk 11 more popular.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

sarkozy wrote: »
    I'm looking outside of Ireland for one, and I think it makes sense to go for one from a dealer who can offer a guarantee. I've been recommended Ffordes.

Conns here in Ireland are cheaper than Ffordes so I wouldn't be looking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Conns= Canon EOS 5D MKII €1,999.99 EURO
    ffordes = Canon EOS 5D MKII £1,699.99 STERLING

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Conns= Canon EOS 5D MKII €1,999.99 EURO
    ffordes = Canon EOS 5D MKII £1,699.99 STERLING

£1700 @ 0.82 = €2073 + whatever they charge for shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PHILI007

I'm going to purchase a Cannon EOS 7D but I'm unsure which lens to buy with it. Many of my photos centre around my local golf society. Most of the photos comprise of, prize giving and social evening photos on course photos etc etc. My budget is €800 - €1000. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if most of your photos are going to be presentations the basic kit lens will do 18-55mm or similar, if you wish to upgrade then a 16-35mm or 24-70 f2.8 secondhand or the older versions of these 17-35mm or 28-70mm f2.8 would be well within your budget.

I would suggest that you get a decent flash as this will help with the indoor/presentation images....or even help brighten an image on a dull day.

if you plan on doing images of people teeing off - you would be best advised to get a really really long lens - 500mm or 600mm ..... which is seriously above your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 PHILI007

many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GotBainne?

Hi,

I would like to purchase a camera for use as the family camera. The camera would be used for family occasions, holiday snaps etc. We are interested in getting a reasonably priced DSLR with a suitable lens for day-to-day snaps. We have already a small digital camera but we need an upgrade in order to take better photographs of our expanding family (just had a new arrival :) )

We were told to get a Nikon, but could someone please recommend an exact model?
    Where should I purchase it, online, in Ireland? I could also purchase in the States as I will be travelling there shortly. Our budget is 500-800 Euro.

All suggestions welcome!
    GB

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Get either a Canon 600D or a Nikon D3200, whichever you like the feel of. Both are excellent cameras. There is very little reason to favour one over the other other than personal taste, existing equipment or future purchase plans.

The kit lens that comes with these bodies isn't great so you should consider getting a better lens instead. This could cost as much as the body.

However an SLR with just a single lens is simply a waste. The whole idea of an interchangable lens system is to use different lenses for different situations. If you have no intention of ever buying a new lens, or to explore photography in general, just get a bridge camera like a Canon G12 or Nikon equivalent.

Also see here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056573227

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I recently lost my 8MP compact digital camera and will have to buy a new one before heading away on holidays. I've used a Nikon D5100 and another Nikon Digital SLR before and loved them.

I saw a few digital SLRs for just over £100 like this one:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/FujiFilm-Finepix-S2980-Megapixel-optical/dp/B0077K04M0/ref=sr_1_51?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335185477&sr=1-51

Would they be any good or would it be better to stick with a good digital compact at that price?
    My budget is around £125/EUR equivalent.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Sorry mate, thats not an SLR, thats a so called bridge camera. It looks like an SLR, but it only has a relatively small sensor, same size as you would find a in a compact.
    They are ok for daylight shots, but they are not as good as a DSLR for low light shots or sports and action shots.

Cosmo K wrote: »
    Sorry mate, thats not an SLR, thats a so called bridge camera. It looks like an SLR, but it only has a relatively small sensor, same size as you would find a in a compact.
    They are ok for daylight shots, but they are not as good as a DSLR for low light shots or sports and action shots.

I saw that term somewhere but wasn't sure what it meant. Thanks.
    Is it better than a compact digital for low light shots?

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

I saw that term somewhere but wasn't sure what it meant. Thanks.
    Is it better than a compact digital for low light shots?

I'd say get faster lense rather than better camera, but you didn't say what lenses you already have.

sebphoto wrote: »
    I'd say get faster lense rather than better camera, but you didn't say what lenses you already have.

I don't have any lenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Canon s90 or G1X. Don't bother with a DSLR, you don't need one. Nikon or Canon, there's no differance.

I don't have any lenses.

Forgive me then, i thought that you have Nikon D5100. How much you'd like to spent and what you'd like to photograph?

sebphoto wrote: »
    Forgive me then, i thought that you have Nikon D5100. How much you'd like to spent and what you'd like to photograph?

Sorry, I said that I used one before but its way out of my budget.
    I was going to buy a Compact Digital but saw that for a few quid more I could get a Digital SLR/Bridged camera as mentioned above.

My budget is around £125 or EUR 150. Its for holidays. I want something with 12X+ optical zoom and decent low light use.

Sorry, I said that I used one before but its way out of my budget.
    I was going to buy a Compact Digital but saw that for a few quid more I could get a Digital SLR/Bridged camera as mentioned above.

My budget is around £125 or EUR 150. Its for holidays. I want something with 12X+ optical zoom and decent low light use.

Sounds like mission impossible. Don't get me wrong, but in my humble opinion it would be better if you could wait little while, save some money and buy something really good. I know we're not living in perfect world, however though Canon G9/G10 costs circa €200 and I'm sure that you'll be happy with images :)
    Or maybe Sigma DP1/ DP2 or Ricoh, but still all about money..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

GotBainne? wrote: »
    Hi,

I would like to purchase a camera for use as the family camera. The camera would be used for family occasions, holiday snaps etc. We are interested in getting a reasonably priced DSLR with a suitable lens for day-to-day snaps. We have already a small digital camera but we need an upgrade in order to take better photographs of our expanding family (just had a new arrival :) )

Where should I purchase it, online, in Ireland? I could also purchase in the States as I will be travelling there shortly. Our budget is 500-800 Euro.

All suggestions welcome!
    GB

I think you should probably look at a high quality compact as an alternative. They are far more portable than a DSLR and can deliver sufficient image quality for the sort of needs you have outlined. I would suggest looking at the Olympus XZ-1.

Scroll down this page to see this persons fashion shoot with one:
    http://blog.brautrausch.de/blog/48-gadget-photography/272-taschendrache.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

I recently lost my 8MP compact digital camera and will have to buy a new one before heading away on holidays. I've used a Nikon D5100 and another Nikon Digital SLR before and loved them.

The D5100 is a fine camera. Like all of the currently available DSLRs, it has
    some significant advantages over compact cameras and bridge cameras.
    I saw a few digital SLRs for just over £100....

Those aren't DSLRs. Bridge cameras are usually styled to look like DSLRs,
    but they are more closely related to compact cameras.
    Would they be any good or would it be better to stick with a good digital compact at that price?

Bridge cameras can be a good introduction to photography. Most of them use
    the same small image sensor that is found in compact cameras. This means
    that they tend to have the same image quality as compact cameras. Some of
    them are quite good, but not as good as a DSLR.
    My budget is around £125/EUR equivalent.

If you want something that is significantly better than your old compact
    camera, you won't have many options in that price range.

If you must stay within budget, the best bang for your buck is
    the Canon SX130 IS at £100 from Argos UK or €123 from argos.ie.

hbr wrote: »
    If you must stay within budget, the best bang for your buck is
    the Canon SX130 IS at £100 from Argos UK or €123 from argos.ie.

Thanks for all the advice. Would the canon be better than FujiFilm Finepix S2980 or Nikon COOLPIX L120?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Thanks for all the advice. Would the canon be better than FujiFilm Finepix S2980 or Nikon COOLPIX L120?

It depends on what you mean by better. I would certainly prefer it to the
    Nikon L120 because the Nikon has no manual control options. If you are
    going to buy a bridge camera, you may as well get one with a viewfinder
    and at least some manual control options. The Fujifilm looks like it would
    be a better choice.

AFAIK, all three of these cameras use AA cells. You will need to get
    a set of good quality AA rechargeables and a charger if you don't already
    have one. Don't forget to allow for this in your budget.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

GotBainne? wrote: »
    Hi,

All suggestions welcome!
    GB

There are many who go down the DSLR route but do not educate themselves in order to get the qualiity improvements which are available. If you are going to learn about exposure, light control and post production then you will be well pleased by any of the DSLR's out there. If, like many, you will park it on AUTO and think that a bigger camera and lens is going to give a big boost in quality then prepare for a majot disappointment.

The same holds true for the better Bridge Cameras too. The suggestion of the Olympus ZX-1 is good. I bought one recently and it is fine when used in Auto and has scope to learn as well (looks dead gorgeous in white too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Hi There,

I'm planning on buying a zoom lens for my camera, I'm very new to this and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, it's would be for shots at the beach, zoo & some of the moon, etc. I've found these 3 & wondered if there's any major difference between them

From Cons, 2nd hand: Sony DT 75-300mm 4.5-5.6 €129.99
    From Cons, 2nd hand: Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 Apo Sony fit Lens €129.99
    From Adverts, 2nd hand: MINOLTA AF Zoom 75-300 - 1.5m-4.9ft macro - A mount with HAMA UV filter €70 + p&p

Thanks in advance for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Lidl have a camcorder for sale this week. http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-84BD3091-61184002/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20343.htm

I know nought about them, so I'm asking for advice. I only need something cheap and cheerful. Do ye think it's worth the money for it's features.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Lidl have a camcorder for sale this week. http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/SID-84BD3091-61184002/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_20343.htm

I know nought about them, so I'm asking for advice. I only need something cheap and cheerful. Do ye think it's worth the money for it's features.

In terms of photography?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

No. For video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Hey,

Bought a 2nd hand Canon 400d during the week to get me started with DSLRs! It came with an 18-55 kit lense. Want to get something with a zoom!

Any suggestions for me? I was looking at this one!

Going to a wedding next week and want to try it out!

Also need to get another battery! The one I got with it is shíte! What are battery grips like? Any good?

Advertisement