Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grand National 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I agree with the ante BBC sentiments, it makes watching top class racing a chore

Gary Wiltshire must be the worst of a pathetic bunch by a long way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Morgans wrote: »
    SHe said that he was retired just as they ended the program. Im guessing twitter has taken over. Lord Grimthorpe on RUK now saying it was bollix. Scan next week. Not exactly bullish still. RUK giving BBC a good spanking now. Rightly so.

It's not like him to speak like that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

UrbanSea wrote: »
    SHe said that he was retired just as they ended the program. Im guessing twitter has taken over. Lord Grimthorpe on RUK now saying it was bollix. Scan next week. Not exactly bullish still. RUK giving BBC a good spanking now. Rightly so.

Then he called her a big hairy dyke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

where can i watch the race again??

"Concerns" about the well being of 2 more horses according to Nick Luck. He hasn't named them :(

Signs are "positive" however.

Poor bloody Synchronised and According To Pete, R.I.P both of them

• Advertisement

"Concerns" about the well being of 2 more horses according to Nick Luck. He hasn't named them :(

Signs are "positive" however.

Poor bloody Synchronised and According To Pete, R.I.P both of them

Guessing Weird Al is one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

An awful shame to put down a horse like Synchonised because of a broken or damaged leg, but I understand why they have to do it, pneumonia, etc otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Morgans

UrbanSea wrote: »

I may be paraphrasing.

BBC have been a disgrace and its clear that they dont care about the sport. Richard Pitman saying that Daryl Jacob was praying to god after the race when he said to Persad that he wanted to dedicate the win to Keiran Kelly 20 seconds earlier. From Jim McGrath picking up the commentary as they turned in to say that Planet of Sound was coming back for more - he had been leading and going back - and completely missing Sunnyhillboy. What was he watching before he was actually told he was on. Its a shame for the good workers in front of the camera and behind the mic on the BBC, I'm sure both of them will find work elsewhere.

Jurassic Park is on ITV 2 now. I suggest everyone should switch over and watch it, classic ! :D

argosy2006 wrote: »
    I have neptune collonges
    viking blond
    chicago grey
    planet of sound all ew

Wow..did you put money on neptune then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Slattsy wrote: »
    Jurassic Park is on ITV 2 now. I suggest everyone should switch over and watch it, classic ! :D

The T-Rex did it...

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Jayo11780

25 e/w on Sunnyhillboy :(:( so so close....
    10 e/w on Cappa Bleu so not a bad return from both..

RIP Poor Synchronised, what a busy last year he has had!

From Jim McGrath picking up the commentary as they turned in to say that Planet of Sound was coming back for more - he had been leading and going back - and completely missing Sunnyhillboy.

Said the winner was back tracking when Jacob asked for an effort and actually began to find. My automatic reaction was "which bloody race are you watching". Can't remember if it was Jim McGrath or another but it was a LONG time before he copped Synchronised has fallen

Good riddance to bad rubbish

I'm not sure hitting or not a horse in the run in has that big of an impact for a long race like the National.

If a horse doesn't have the energy, you can hit him all you want and he'll still do nothing.

Neptune just had bundles of energy in reserve for the run in, and the runner up just ran out of steam. Don't think lashing them makes a difference after 4 miles to be honest. Maybe if it was a shorter race.

Said the winner was back tracking when Jacob asked for an effort and actually began to find. My automatic reaction was "which bloody race are you watching". Can't remember if it was Jim McGrath or another but it was a LONG time before he copped Synchronised has fallen

Good riddance to bad rubbish

Any relation between the commentary and reality are completely coincidental.

From Matt Chapman's facebook:

No truth whatsoever in what Clare Balding has announced on BBC about Frankel having run his last race. Lord Grimthorpe tells me the situation is exactly the same as yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Alot of unhappy punters over on BF forum over their in-running failures

Big gamble on the fav in the bumper. There may be more to learn from this race than the chelt bumper. Looks a good feild. I was very impressed by ifyousayso at Bangor, beating good horses in style, and leading all the way round on a left hand sharp track. He is stepping up in class - lots of unexposed horses but I think at 16/1 I'd gone in ew. I think he looks a high class novice hurdler for next year.

Alot of unhappy punters over on BF forum over their in-running failures

I can only imagine !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Sunnyhill boy was on the outside of the field the WHOLE way around. He was arguably the best handicapped horse in the race. Covered MUCH more ground than Neptune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BackScrub

As a devoted horse lover and racing fan, I think my time has come to pack in my interest in the Grand National.

Too many fatalities in the last few years has done it for me. Today puts the cherry on it. Seeing any animal hurt is terrible but more so when it's a Gold Cup winner. IMO, the winner of a Gold Cup deserves more respect than to be thrown into a Grade 3 handicap a month or so later.

It's hard to criticise JP and Jonjo, particularly the former because of what he gives to the sport but I wouldn't put my Gold Cup winner in that race.

It's a great spectacle but there's too much sadness thrown in these days. It's just not worth it.

I think that is a balanced post. It can be hard to stomach at times. Shame that it marred a fantastic race - and I backed Sunnyhillboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

BackScrub wrote: »
    As a devoted horse lover and racing fan, I think my time has come to pack in my interest in the Grand National.

Too many fatalities in the last few years has done it for me. Today puts the cherry on it. Seeing any animal hurt is terrible but more so when it's a Gold Cup winner. IMO, the winner of a Gold Cup deserves more respect than to be thrown into a Grade 3 handicap a month or so later.

It's hard to criticise JP and Jonjo, particularly the former because of what he gives to the sport but I wouldn't put my Gold Cup winner in that race.

It's a great spectacle but there's too much sadness thrown in these days. It's just not worth it.

I feel the same. Its just so hard on the horses and too many bad horses allowed run in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

BackScrub wrote: »

Amen to that. The race has seen better days, and it just kinda makes me feel sick to see it now.

fits wrote: »
    I feel the same. Its just so hard on the horses and too many bad horses allowed run in it.

I dont think this is balanced. The fact that the horse that died was the Gold Cup winner isnt helping your arguement. Its sad when any horse dies, and each week poorer horses die. There is an arguement that all jump racing should be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I'd agree from the point of view that too many horses are being brought down. If your horse falls or refuses you have no problem. But when the horse has no room to avoid a faller it just becomes a total lottery. There should be a max of 20 horses.

Amen to that. The race has seen better days, and it just kinda makes me feel sick to see it now.

Again, would you prefer to make the fences bigger, with bigger drops, no run offs.

You know there is an argument that by making the fences smaller only encourages horses/jockeys to go quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,244 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Edit already mentioned ^^

By making the fences smaller they have made it more dangerous
    because the horses are now going faster.

Something has to change it cant go on like this every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Yeah, we may feel worse when we hear a more famous horse dies but one horses death is not worse than any others in real terms. Someone owns, trains, rides and loves each horse that dies. I don't feel any worse for the Gold Cup winner than I do for According To Pete.

Look back though the thread to find the article on According To Pete's connections. Watch his races and tell me Synchronised is more important than According To Pete. This isn't directed at anyone in particular and I'm not wound up about this - it's hard to sound the way you mean to in a forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,234 ✭✭✭✭fits

I dont think this is balanced. The fact that the horse that died was the Gold Cup winner isnt helping your arguement. Its sad when any horse dies, and each week poorer horses die. There is an arguement that all jump racing should be banned.

I'm not saying the death of a good horse is worse at all.. its a welfare issue for both the good horses and the bad ones.

There are horses allowed to run, who are unproven jumping, unproven over the distance, and they fall and run out and hamper horses who are able for the race.

I'm not saying they should ban it but really dont see why they insist on a forty horse field! ITs carnage every year!

Advertisement