Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircoach Dublin-Cork express

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well I always book the seat in Irish Rail by the socket at the end which makes it perfect for me. My laptop battery is currently pretty much f*cked so a socket is the highest priority in terms of travel. Oh well.

Well if you travel weekly Cork to Dublin, not only would you save enough money to buy a new battery, you would save enough to buy a top of the range new laptop!!

Even with the best case scenario of booking the train 7 days in advance, you would be paying an extra €25 per trip over Aircoach.

So if you travelled 52 weeks a year, you would save €1,300 per year!!

To put that in context:

- €100 (just 4 trips) would probably buy you a new battery
    - €340 (14 trips) would buy you a shiny new iPad Mini with 12 hours + battery life
    - €1,050 (42 trips) would buy you a shiny new Apple Macbook Air with 6 hours + battery life.

And you would still have money left over!! Maybe enough for a nice weekend away somewhere in Europe!!

Just something worth thinking about :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

bk wrote: »
    Well if you travel weekly Cork to Dublin, not only would you save enough money to buy a new battery, you would save enough to buy a top of the range new laptop!!

Even with the best case scenario of booking the train 7 days in advance, you would be paying an extra €25 per trip over Aircoach.

So if you travelled 52 weeks a year, you would save €1,300 per year!!

To put that in context:

- €100 (just 4 trips) would probably buy you a new battery
    - €340 (14 trips) would buy you a shiny new iPad Mini with 12 hours + battery life
    - €1,050 (42 trips) would buy you a shiny new Apple Macbook Air with 6 hours + battery life.

And you would still have money left over!! Maybe enough for a nice weekend away somewhere in Europe!!

Just something worth thinking about :D

I'm not sure which bit I'm more bemused by, your constant desire to puff up travelling by bus, or the time you've spent doing those sums. Is the bus marketing office quiet today? :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I'm not sure which bit I'm more bemused by, your constant desire to puff up travelling by bus, or the time you've spent doing those sums. Is the bus marketing office quiet today? :D

The sums were trivial to do, I recommend you check out Soulver, fantastic app for doing quick sums:

http://www.acqualia.com/soulver/

But often people don't think about things like this in this sort of logical way. They say sure it is just an extra €25, but don't think about what that can add up to after a year.

I mean I don't think anyone would sniff at saving a minimum of €1,300 per year. Hell that would pay for a fantastic two weeks holidays somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Richard Logue

Good that the ICRs have sockets at every seat, is it likely that the Mk IVs would be upgraded at some point?

Good that the ICRs have sockets at every seat, is it likely that the Mk IVs would be upgraded at some point?

They really should be, I've been saying for years (at least the last 5 years) that all intercity trains should have free wifi and power at every seat, so they can take advantage of the ability to work and play on the train.

They have finally given us the free wifi, due to pressure from the private bus companies doing the same, hopefully we will get power at every seat too sometime.

BTW I would also ideally like to see power at every seat on buses too.

However I will say that it is becoming less important then it was a few years ago. Most laptops today have well over 3 hours battery live and the rise of tablets most of which have 10+ hours of battery life and which are perfect for this sort of travelling. So it has become not such a big issue.

• Advertisement

BTW This product might be interesting to frequent travellers with a rubbish battery:

http://www.laptopmag.com/review/accessories/energizer-xp18000a.aspx

Should double or even triple the battery life over what even a new laptop has.

Maybe one of the mods should separate out this discussion of battery tech when travelling. It is an interesting discussion, but not really specific to Aircoach.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Given the nature of some recent posts relating to Aircoach's future,it's perhaps worth noting the latest FirstGroup briefing to investors.

http://www.firstgroup.com/assets/pdfs/investors/presentations/pre_close_trading_update_Q4_March_2013_press-release.pdf

Whilst there is a substantial disposal of it's London Bus operations,there is no mention of Aircoach or of any intentions to withdraw from Ireland.
    UK Bus

We are working through our comprehensive plan to recover performance and equip our UK Bus business to
    achieve sustainable revenue and patronage growth, and are seeing early positive signs in some of our markets.

During the period we achieved steady growth with like for like passenger revenue expected to increase by 2.4%.

As previously stated, we expect the full year operating margin to be approximately 8%.

In line with our strategy to pursue selected business and asset disposals,todaywe are pleased to announce the sale of five of our London depots to Metroline,an existing London bus operator, and three of our London depots to Transit Systems Group,an Australian transport company,for a combined consideration of approximately £80m.

Both disposals are subject to the necessary regulatory approvals including contractual obligations with Transport for London.

It's interesting to note that 8% margin figure,as it perhaps indicates that Aircoach is maintaining a level at or above that figure.

The disposal of First Group's London Bus assets looks uncannily like what Stagecoach did some years ago,even down to the involvement of the Australian investors.

It is however a significant shift in First Group's Bus operations and will be interesting to observe from this side of the liquid barrier.

The view from down-under is equally chipper...."Tower Transit"....not bad at all.....?

http://www.swantransit.com.au/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Well I always book the seat in Irish Rail by the socket at the end which makes it perfect for me. My laptop battery is currently pretty much f*cked so a socket is the highest priority in terms of travel. Oh well.

Sometimes at off peak times( and for some reason the 16:00 Dublin to Cork train) they put on the newer three carriage trains with sockets.

Plus: sockets

Minus: sockets sometimes do not work or are turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭currins_02

Bus Eireann's new SE class have sockets at every second seat and Callinan's (who operate the Citylink services) new VanHool's also have.

currins_02 wrote: »
    Bus Eireann's new SE class have sockets at every second seat and Callinan's (who operate the Citylink services) new VanHool's also have.

Damn I was on the Vanhools last weekend and I hadn't noticed that. Fantastic coach.

Yup there has been serious problems with the sockets and their fuses on the 22k's. I believe Irish Rail has had to replace them all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,539 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Glad to see that the usual individuals are posting misinformation about Irish Rail.

Since the last timetable change, the following trains are operated by ICR sets with sockets at each seat:

Weekdays:
    Dublin/Cork: 0800, 0900, 1100 (except Fridays), 1500, 1600, 1705* and 2100.
    Cork/Dublin: 0600, 0800*, 1120, 1220, 1420 (except Fridays), 1820 and 1920.

Sundays:
    Dublin/Cork: 0830*, 1500, 1905* and 2100
    Cork/Dublin: 1240*, 1435*, 1820 and 1845*

* requires a change at Mallow

lxflyer it really is a little OT for this thread, but I'm really surprised so many ICR's sets are now operating to Cork!!

The ICR's are significantly lower capacity then the Mark 4's, I didn't think the ICR's were supposed to be used so heavily on the Cork line.

Perhaps sign of competition affecting passenger numbers?

BTW You know perfectly well that there were serious problems with the power sockets on the ICR's tripping out frequently:
    http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=13494

I believe the faulty sockets have now been replaced, so it should no longer be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

lxflyer wrote: »
    Glad to see that the usual individuals are posting misinformation about Irish Rail.

Since the last timetable change, the following trains are operated by ICR sets with sockets at each seat:

Weekdays:
    Dublin/Cork: 0800, 0900, 1100 (except Fridays), 1500, 1600, 1705* and 2100.
    Cork/Dublin: 0600, 0800*, 1120, 1220, 1420 (except Fridays), 1820 and 1920.

Sundays:
    Dublin/Cork: 0830*, 1500, 1905* and 2100
    Cork/Dublin: 1240*, 1435*, 1820 and 1845*

* requires a change at Mallow
    I thought there were only 2 services a day which were operated by 22000's so I didn't bother to mention them, but I see now that the service has been cut back a lot more with 7 services a day each way operated by the (some say better) 22000's. That is half the services daily and 1/3 of the services on Sundays.

Is there a train host on these services and the same catering services?

The healthy competition from the bus companies is affecting this service in a big way.

Well it is on topic when both of you post information that is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I thought there were only 2 services a day which were operated by 22000's so I didn't bother to mention them, but I see now that the service has been cut back a lot more with 7 services a day each way operated by the (some say better) 22000's. That is half the services daily and 1/3 of the services on Sundays.

Is there a train host on these services and the same catering services?

The healthy competition from the bus companies is affecting this service in a big way.

I presume you meant to say that capacity has been reduced rather than services cut, as services haven't been cut, just a little accidental mis-use of language :rolleyes:

Well it is on topic when both of you post information that is incorrect.
    So the Aircoach services have had a big impact on train services to Cork with half of the mark4 services being cut back on weekdays and only 4 services ex Dub and 3 ex Cork offering full meals service. But at least now more customers on the train can avail of power sockets at their seats.

I presume you meant to say that capacity has been reduced rather than services cut, as services haven't been cut, just a little accidental mis-use of language :rolleyes:
    The service has been cut back by reducing capacity in much the same way that Aircoach or GoBé would cut their services if they started using luxury mini-buses instead of 53+ seat coach buses.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Really though, a lot of this kind of discussion is off-topic.

Clearly Irish Rail passengers are down, but some people are vastly overplaying it IMHO.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So the Aircoach services have had a big impact on train services to Cork with half of the mark4 services being cut back on weekdays and only 4 services ex Dub and 3 ex Cork offering full meals service. But at least now more customers on the train can avail of power sockets at their seats.

Yet again you are posting incorrect information.

There are full meals on the following trains:
    Ex Dublin: 0700, 1200, 1300, 1700, 1705 and 1800
    Ex Cork: 0700, 0800, 1320, 1620 and 1720

If you are going to play the railway down it would help if you got your facts straight first.

The 7am ex Dublin is not described as having any meals or even a buffet car on the booking page, also the 7am and 8am services ex Cork are not showing any mention of restaurant or buffet car.

If Customers are to choose rail over buses it might help to give them the information which might change their minds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭noelfirl

devnull wrote: »
    Really though, a lot of this kind of discussion is off-topic.

Clearly Irish Rail passengers are down, but some people are vastly overplaying it IMHO.

And amazingly, this enormous tangent started out from someone asking the simple question as to whether there were sockets on the bus.

I don't agree that it is an enormous tangent.

It is valid to correct errors that are being posted that suggest reasons for the train being inferior to the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭noelfirl

I don't agree that it is an enormous tangent.

Enormous might be a stretch, but I meant it more in the way that rather than getting a simple answer, the original question asker managed to get a personal budgetary/battery analysis as well as a brief causal-effect review of the significance of Irish Rail running ICRs on the Dublin - Cork route.
    It is valid to correct errors that are being posted that suggest reasons for the train being inferior to the bus.

Agreed completely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭SandyfordGuy

Going back on topic, the Chief Operating Officer of FirstGroup was over in Dublin yesterday seeing the operation:
    https://twitter.com/firstbuscoo

It will remain to be seen if anything will come of that and if it will have any impact on the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

One of the ICR's on some Cork services is not down to demand but because they have to find cut in costs for another route to have capacity restored. This have resulted in meal service being withdrawn on one of the Cork-Dublin services.

Of course it is part related to the capacity - saying otherwise is just pure spin. I'm not saying it's the only reason, but it as at least part of it since if the old trains were very busy then they wouldn't be able to put on smaller ones without causing overcrowding.

The trains replacing the ones being removed carry less passengers therefore they are able to put smaller trains on which meet the demand more which is sensible to do for any train company here or elsewhere. It's good business sense.

Of course it is part related to the capacity - saying otherwise is just pure spin. I'm not saying it's the only reason, but it as at least part of it since if the old trains were very busy then they wouldn't be able to put on smaller ones without causing overcrowding.

The trains replacing the ones being removed carry less passengers therefore they are able to put smaller trains on which meet the demand more which is sensible to do for any train company here or elsewhere. It's good business sense.

They had to resotre capacity to Waterford services and when that happened it saw a Mark4 roster change to an already operated 6 car ICR route and the old Mark 4 roster replaced with a 3 carrage ICR which has resulted in First Class and Meal service being withdrawn. Not capacity related the 06.00 from Cork has always had the same level of usage never packed before any express bus operator started on the route but what is clear is that they could not reduce capacity on the 9.20 from Cork so capacity has nothing to do with it.

Not capacity related the 06.00 from Cork has always had the same level of usage never packed before any express bus operator started on the route but what is clear is that they could not reduce capacity on the 9.20 from Cork so capacity has nothing to do with it.

So this is why this service was picked yes, because it had excess capacity that is not being used. Which is a sensible business decision and something that IR should be praised for.

They picked the service they did to take a mark 4 off because it is the one that has the most excess capacity beyond needs rather than the 9.20 which was more full.

So it was related to capacity, or to be more specific, better use of rolling stock due to the removal of excess capacity on a route where it was not needed.

I didn't bring anything up about whether it was caused about the bus or not, just that Irish rail passengers are down which they are.

So this is why this service was picked yes, because it had excess capacity that is not being used. Which is a sensible business decision and something that IR should be praised for.

They picked the service they did to take a mark 4 off because it is the one that has the most excess capacity beyond needs rather than the 9.20 which was more full.

So it was related to capacity, or to be more specific, better use of rolling stock due to the removal of excess capacity on a route where it was not needed.

I didn't bring anything up about whether it was caused about the bus or not, just that Irish rail passengers are down which they are.

A good level of revenue from that service would be from first class not as much as the 07.00 but sizeable amount. It was never packed before other operators started on the route, If passenger numbers were published for it you would see that, the Mark4 only operated on it because of the branding ie CityGold, Meal service but with the times decisions like this come at at a cost which IE can't cover. Just like first class business has dropped. It carries the same level of passenger to seat ratio as the 06.30 from Galway and 07.10 from Waterford limited stop services do. Does that mean the X4 from Waterford is taking from the 07.10 and Go Bus from Galway services. Remenber revenue per passenger is much higher than that of a bus passenger. Bus operates would need lets say 2 passenger for every 1 passenger Irish Rail carry.

At the end of the day its yield/revenue per passenger that counts and not the number of passengers.

• Advertisement

Read my post again - I didn't mention anything about the bus having an effect on any service.

Advertisement