Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

laser tattoo removal.

• 13-07-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hey all not sure where I was to put this really so I just put it here. :-) . so anyway having a couple of tattoo's removed soon' just doing a bit of research into into it at the moment. Has anyone any experience of having any removed, if so, what method did you go with, how much generally did it cost, and most importantly how effective was the treatment. Also if you were pleased with the results I wouldn't mind knowing where you got it done. Many thanks. Mrty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kamik

Jim Breslin Athlone Removed mine, 3 sessions @ €40 yag laser very satisfied, would recommend. Full scan first to check depth of ink before estimating sessions and cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Kamik wrote: »
    Full scan first to check depth of ink before estimating sessions and cost.

Never heard of this, is it standard? I'd love to know if laser would be worth it for me. If I knew it would work, I'd do it.

The only other place where i saw the scan done beforehand was at a Harley Street Clinic.
    Jim explained that he magnifies the tattoo to see what pigmentation is affected.
    I guess from that he accurately sets the strength of the Laser.
    Think a YAG laser works on any type of skin, but i am not certain about that!

Just been for another scan to remove a part of tattoo so it can be redone properly.
    Estimated 2 sessions, first this Thursday then 6 weeks gap to 2nd one.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mrty

Just been for another scan to remove a part of tattoo so it can be redone properly.
    Estimated 2 sessions, first this Thursday then 6 weeks gap to 2nd one.

I had my first session 3 weeks ago now. Yag laser, flat profile laser, proper job.
    Getting 3 tattoos done, really painful :-) don't mind though. He,s only charging 80 per session decreasing in price each session.

• Advertisement

Yes, Jim uses Yag laser too, but it doesnt hurt, feels similar to a finger click on the skin. He is in fact a Licenced medical laser operator, so i know he is not one of the many chancers taking risks.

Only €40 for first session and €35 each following one. That includes a Versatis pain patch if required, but i have never needed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

I too have been considering going down the laser route to lighten a tattoo to get a coverup.

Theres a number of places offering laser in Dublin but i've heard quite a few horror stories about people getting bad blistering, ending up getting 10+ sessions with little improvement, etc. So wanna be as informed as possible before i start!!

@Kamik/mrty: Would it be possible for you to post before/after pics just to give an idea what the process is like and how quickly it removes the ink? Also just to gauge how big the tattoo is vs. the cost of removal?

martomcg wrote: »
    I too have been considering going down the laser route to lighten a tattoo to get a coverup.

Theres a number of places offering laser in Dublin but i've heard quite a few horror stories about people getting bad blistering, ending up getting 10+ sessions with little improvement, etc. So wanna be as informed as possible before i start!!

@Kamik/mrty: Would it be possible for you to post before/after pics just to give an idea what the process is like and how quickly it removes the ink? Also just to gauge how big the tattoo is vs. the cost of removal?

I would love to oblige but I've only had one session so far and very little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

martomcg wrote: »

I'd also be interested in hearing tattoo removal success stories!

I'd also be interested in hearing tattoo removal success stories!

Ok, had my appointment with Jim today @ 2.o.clock, this was my first visit on this stupid tattoo that i got above R knee and done in a drunken state about 4-5 years ago.

I opted for no anaestethic cream as usual and didnt require the pain patch afterwards.
    Pic 1 is the before shot taken @ 2.05.
    Pic 2 is the after shot @ 2.30 with just small bit of skin flaking and no pain,
    Boards.ie Message
    You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.

Sorry, cant show my pics! (i'm still a new user @ 3 yrs!)

• Advertisement

Here ye Go!
    Before and immediately after.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Little Lion Woman

Here ye Go!

Wow! The difference is incredible!

Wow! The difference is incredible!

That is just after one session!
    There is absolutely no substitute for professionalism.
    My second appointment is in 6 weeks time.

There is an introduction letter about laser tattoo removal somewhere online written by Jim but i cant find it now i am looking for it!

That is just after one session!
    There is absolutely no substitute for professionalism.
    My second appointment is in 6 weeks time.

There is an introduction letter about laser tattoo removal somewhere online written by Jim but i cant find it now i am looking for it!

were they indian ink?

Here ye Go!

That's crazy for one session, wow.

mrty wrote: »
    were they indian ink?
    Yes it was indian ink used, by an artist that used to be in Athlone and moved his studio to Dublin about 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Yes it was indian ink used, by an artist that used to be in Athlone and moved his studio to Dublin about 4 years ago.
    I'm not trying to be a smart, but that tattoo was done by a professional tattoo artist?

Good removal job.

What is professional?
    He had a studio in Athlone, well equipped, i never mentioned professional.
    Does a PROFESSIONAL exist in Ireland?
    There are many artists, but how many of them have studied Sepsis, Dermatology or Chemistry?

Dont forget this was done late at night (around 2am to be precise) after we had plenty of beers together, think i was still eating my curry burger at the time and the sod ate my chips! :mad:
    (The meaning in the image was even beer inspired)

I think Coles means that if it came off so easy, it doesnt seem like it was very 'deep' (for lack of a better word) to begin with.

I've a very big black tattoo on one shoulder and if I thought it would come off like yours has I'd be there tomorrow. I doubt it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

What is professional?

Someone that uses proper inks, and doesn't tattoo you while eating would be a good step in the right direction.

• Advertisement

nm wrote: »
    I think Coles means that if it came off so easy, it doesnt seem like it was very 'deep' (for lack of a better word) to begin with.

I've a very big black tattoo on one shoulder and if I thought it would come off like yours has I'd be there tomorrow. I doubt it though.

I believe Black is the easiest colour to remove.
    A laser in the proper hands should be capable of a clean job regardless of the ink depth. Maybe that scan beforehand tells him the layer where the ink is.
    doesn't tattoo you while eating would be a good step in the right direction.
    WoW! give me a penny for every alcohol inspired tat in Ireland!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I believe Black is the easiest colour to remove.
    A laser in the proper hands should be capable of a clean job regardless of the ink depth. Maybe that scan beforehand tells him the layer where the ink is.

Professional artists won't tattoo a person who's been drinking. They'd probably spell 'break' correctly, too. Most alcohol inspired tattoos are done on drinking holidays, or by scratchers.

If your tattoo faded that much after one session, the ink wasn't deep enough.

Professional artists won't tattoo a person who's been drinking. They'd probably spell 'break' correctly, too. Most alcohol inspired tattoos are done on drinking holidays, or by scratchers.

If your tattoo faded that much after one session, the ink wasn't deep enough.

If you think BRAKE is spelled wrong you are not getting the meaning of the image!:D
    As for depth, maybe not, im no expert.

I'm not going to say that professional tattoo artists *won't* tattoo when alcohol has been taken, as very few tattoos would be done at conventions if that were the case. However, I didn't mention alcohol, either as inspiration or otherwise.

At the end of the day, it was a fairly poorly done tattoo, probably in Indian Ink, so it wasn't done to any kind of professional standard. But you're getting it removed, so I think it's safe to assume you weren't too happy with it anyway.

Star Lord wrote: »
    However, I didn't mention alcohol, either as inspiration or otherwise.
    If you read through the thread you will see that I did.
    But you're getting it removed, so I think it's safe to assume you weren't too happy with it anyway.
    Of course i was happy with it. Its an attitude tattoo!
    attitudes change, just like getting Mary on - then Mary is gone and another gal appears!:cool:

The definition of a professional anything is someone who gets paid. Indian ink is very easily removed by laser dont expect the same results if it studio ink in your tattoo. The same guy who did mine is removing them lol i wonder how he feels about that, that i want his work removed.

If you read through the thread you will see that I did.
    But why mention it in relation to the point that I was making?
    mrty wrote: »
    The definition of a professional anything is someone who gets paid.
    That's if you take the definition as:
    "following as a business an occupation ordinarily engaged in as a pastime"

In this regard, we're using the word 'professional' as meaning:
    "a person who is expert at his or her work"

Star Lord wrote: »
    But why mention it in relation to the point that I was making?
    That was a point?
    For some very strange reason i took your initial post as sarcasm:D

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

That was a point?
    For some very strange reason i took your initial post as sarcasm:D

Thanks for posting the picture Kamik. Appreciated!

• Advertisement
Advertisement