Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

19-03-2012, 18:53   #181
RoverJames
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupus View Post
I could be wrong on this but doesnt a car fitted with abs have a longer stopping distance than a car without abs?
Wouldn't think so, ABS maximises the grip and minimises the stopping distance.
Advertisement
19-03-2012, 19:09   #182
FGR

ABS allows for greater control when stopping as opposed to jamming the brakes, locking the wheels and losing control altogether.
19-03-2012, 19:31   #183
kupus

I remember reading something about it and so I found it again:
"On very soft surfaces, such as gravel or unpacked snow, ABS may actually lengthen stopping distances"

Its fine for wet and dry but I had forgotten the criteria where it will lengthen stopping distances.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/problems/e...kes/page1.html
Thanks from:
19-03-2012, 22:41   #184
sunnysoutheast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kupus View Post
I could be wrong on this but doesnt a car fitted with abs have a longer stopping distance than a car without abs?
Possibly but only in very specific circumstances, I seem to remember seeing a test where a rally driver could stop a little sooner in snow as a wedge of loose snow built up in front of the locked wheel. Under the same conditions it's very likely a non-professional driver would have lost control.

As regards tyres, I steer clear (aha ha ha) of cheap tyres. Some years ago I replaced four borderline-illegal Pirellis on a warmish Clio with brand new Barums (I was planning on selling the car and it was an awkward tyre size) and the handling was much worse on the new tyres. Since then I've only bought GoodYear or Bridgestone, if you shop around I find the difference in price is negligible given I only buy tyres every couple of years.

SSE
20-03-2012, 00:15   #185
Mully_2011

Might I make a suggestion for anyone replacing tyres soon Avon ZV3s have them on my car at the minute and the grip outta them both wet and dry is unreal and there not badly priced either
Advertisement
20-03-2012, 00:29   #186
LIGHTNING

In regard to the EU making a grip level standard its something that I don't think that will ever happen. Because of the wide ranges of application sometimes you may want a harder compound tyre that has less grip. Some people want a tyre that has really high levels of grip that they don't mind if it doesn't last too long.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion