Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best software package for small business?

Options
  • 24-11-2014 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi I'm a partner in a small business with a friend and up until now we have not been using software to record our transactions. I have been taking care of the returns etc but we have fallen behind on them and we need a better system in place...We probably have about 50-60 purchases invoices per month and about 10 sales invoices..would anyone be able to offer advice on the best sage package for our business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I use big red book as recommended by my own accountant, whether it's the best I have no idea.
    http://bigredbook.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ArminTanz

Is this similar to sage?..how expensive is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Sage Instant, all the way. It's €187 plus Vat, and for a small business, with no out-of-the-ordinary requirements I've not seen anything better.

Sage Instant, all the way. It's €187 plus Vat, and for a small business, with no out-of-the-ordinary requirements I've not seen anything better.

Thanks..I'm about to do an online sage 50 accounts course I seen for 75% off...do you know how this differs from sage instant?

ArminTanz wrote: »
    Thanks..I'm about to do an online sage 50 accounts course I seen for 75% off...do you know how this differs from sage instant?

Sage Instant is a watered down version of SAGE 50 basically. There are just less features.

If you do the SAGE 50 course, you'll find Sage Instant a breeze.

• Advertisement

Sage Instant is a watered down version of SAGE 50 basically. There are just less features.

If you do the SAGE 50 course, you'll find Sage Instant a breeze.

Thanks for your reply..Is there much difference between sage instant and sage one?..iv heard sage one is better if more than 1 person will be entering information?..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

I would never recommend Sage for a small business. It is far too unwieldly and unless you have used it before, it is not that user friendly and expensive for what is offered. It is difficult and very frustrating to correct errors. Its great if you are a firm of bookkeepers or a small accounts department where the users know what they are doing. If you are a small business owner just trying to keep your books in order it is just awful. And Sage one? Don't even go there!!

You would be better off going for one of online offerings such as Xero, Sortmybooks or even bigredbook.

Thats just my opinion anyway.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I have been using Sort my books for the last year or so. I find it very user friendly for those who are business owners rather than bookkeepers or accountants. It is easier to correct mistakes and the layout and reports are basic but what you need. I use sage and think it's too complicated and unnecessary for a small business.

Thanks guys...is there different offerings from sort my books or is it all the one?

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

I would never recommend Sage for a small business. It is far too unwieldly and unless you have used it before, it is not that user friendly and expensive for what is offered. It is difficult and very frustrating to correct errors. Its great if you are a firm of bookkeepers or a small accounts department where the users know what they are doing. If you are a small business owner just trying to keep your books in order it is just awful. And Sage one? Don't even go there!!

You would be better off going for one of online offerings such as Xero, Sortmybooks or even bigredbook.

Thats just my opinion anyway.

dbran

Sage Instant is €200 or so and it is a one-off payment.

Big Red Books is €699 for their basic package. Xero and Sortmybooks both are more expensive when you consider you will still be paying the sub in years 2 and 3.

Sage is certainly not expensive for what is offered.

The OP has said he has ordered a SAGE 50 training course. At the end of tha he WILL know how to use SAGE instant, which is another plus for it.

As for it not being user friendly, that's your opinion and that's fair enough. I would disagree, but you'll never find any package that suits everyone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement