Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Not everyone books flights based solely on the price.

Yep and I'm one of those people.....
    No.1 on the list - convenience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Blut2

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yep and I'm one of those people.....
    No.1 on the list - convenience

For the DUB > JFK direct route though AA and Delta also offer direct flights, but appear to be at a much cheaper price point than EI.

@Tenger flights routing JFK > DUB also seem to have EI priced much higher currently than their competitors (both direct, and connecting).

@markpb my own personal experience would rank Delta at about the same level as EI. I think generally they're regarded as in or about the same level, in economy at least - both 3* on Skytrax for example.

There doesn't seem to be an obvious answer to me as to why EI loads are so high, I'd be curious as to what someone with more in-depth knowledge might know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Blut2 wrote: »
    <snip>
    There doesn't seem to be an obvious answer to me as to why EI loads are so high, I'd be curious as to what someone with more in-depth knowledge might know.
    maybe its because they have 2 flights per day rather than one.

I was chatting with someone working in a certain US multinational who has been to Germany a few times recently and they choose flying to Munich rather than Stuttgart (for a location nearer Stuttgart) as theres 2 flights daily rather than 1, so theres a flexibility to go back early (or stay a little later) if needs be.

Maybe theres an amount of business travellers in the mix there who choose Aer Lingus to JFK for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyr4

A key factor in why EI loads are so high is that their transatlantic network is fed from its shorthaul network. So whilst Delta, AA, United etc are primarily reliant on Irish or North American originating traffic, EI's target market is massively wider. For example, to drive a 95% load factor on Dublin - JFK, it most likely has point to point pax from Ireland & US, passengers connecting beyond JFK to other US cities and it also may have say (2 pax connecting from Manchester, 2 from Edinburgh, 3 from Paris, 4 from Hamburg) etc etc and with this range of different passenger sources, it is considerably easier to fill up the aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I disagree, if I was to make a connection in the US, Delta and AA offer a far larger variety and you also benefit with the same airline and terminal transfers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 kellyr4

I mightn't have made myself clear, but EI's clear advantage is in Europe / UK - US connectivity via Dublin. e.g. EDI-DUB-BOS

I agree that EI's onward connectivity e.g. DUB-JFK-LAX is inferior to the US carriers but it does capture some of this traffic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

... especially if the choice is either EDI - LHR - BOS or EDI - DUB - BOS you'd be finding a lot of people using the Dublin route just to avoid the joy that is Heathrow. Throw preclearance into the mix and Dublin are milking transatlantic traffic nicely at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Local media in Vigo (North west Spain) are reporting that Ryanair is due to start flying DUB-VGO twice weekly from April -October 2016. Also gradually opening other destinations as part of a €4milion+ deal with the local govt. Seems odd to me having just opened a base at Santiago de Compostela which isn't too far away.

https://aeropuertodevigo.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/ryanair-abre-rutas-a-barcelona-dublin-edimburgo-milan-y-bolonia-desde-vigo/
    http://www.farodevigo.es/gran-vigo/2015/09/12/ryanair-abre-filon-turistico-peinador/1312302.html
    http://www.farodevigo.es/gran-vigo/2015/09/09/milan-dublin-edimburgo-bolonia-destinos/1310740.html

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Local media in Vigo (North west Spain) are reporting that Ryanair is due to start flying DUB-VGO twice weekly from April -October 2016. Seems odd to me having just opened a base at Santiago de Compostela which isn't too far away.
    I have to agree, and Porto isn't far away either.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

Mylow wrote: »
    I have to agree, and Porto isn't far away either.

This opens up the possibility of open jaw tourism. I'd certainly be interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Cough* possible New Canada route *cough

Any more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Khuitlio wrote: »
    Any more information?

No nothing yet!! 2 330s and a 757 going to EI possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭aviator7

On the 757 side of things, N903TB will be on the way to Shannon from Texas tonight, coming out of storage. Ex Finnair OH-LBO, sister ship of the current Aer Lingus 757's.

Maybe it has nothing to do with Aer Lingus / Air contractors, but it looks likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭dogcat

Maybe it was already mentioned but flights to Abu Dhabi will be reduced from twice a day to once a day from January. It's expected to be back at two from the summer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭BZ

aviator7 wrote: »
    On the 757 side of things, N903TB will be on the way to Shannon from Texas tonight, coming out of storage. Ex Finnair OH-LBO, sister ship of the current Aer Lingus 757's.

Maybe it has nothing to do with Aer Lingus / Air contractors, but it looks likely.

This aircraft is not for air contractors. It operates as a corporate aircraft for L-3 communications and is just night stopping in SNN. Pure coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

dogcat wrote: »
    Maybe it was already mentioned but flights to Abu Dhabi will be reduced from twice a day to once a day from January. It's expected to be back at two from the summer again.

Yes, it will be a 777-300er

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

IngazZagni wrote: »
    Easyjet schedule 25-30 minute turnarounds at AMS generally. Taxi time is included in flight block times or at least should be. AMS has a dedicated low cost pier which Ryanair will no doubt use. Unlike somewhere like Madrid where Ryanair schedule 35 minute turnaround times ( due to air bridges) and often have 20 minute taxi times too.

I think this will make a huge dent on Aer Lingus's yield on the AMS route. A huge amount of pax on this route are price sensitive. Equally this may damage Ryanairs Eindhoven route as many people used this as a low cost way of connecting to Amsterdam.

I was expecting more than 1 new route from FR but a 15% or over 1 million pax increase is not too shabby.

In my experience anyway, there aren't too many that are flying to Eindhoven with Amsterdam as their final destination anyway since the train adds on 40 euros return pp + a time factor.

Mostly Germans/Belgians/Dutch from Brabant/Limburg and also Irish people that are living/working here.

Also many Germans just living over the border choose Eindhoven to get to Dublin as Weeze is no longer servicing that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭midfield dynamo

Any idea when EI are announcing their summer schedule (And anticipated two new TA routes)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Any idea when EI are announcing their summer schedule (And anticipated two new TA routes)?

Would expect the T/A routes in the next 3-4 weeks at the latest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

It was supposed to be around now. but an EI mate tells me it could be end of October....apparently they are expecting Willie to be present for the route announcement.

• Advertisement

• http://m.firstpost.com/world/ireland-visit-short-but-its-historic-says-prime-minister-narendra-modi-in-dublin-2443716.html

So Dublin to Mumbai or Delhi ?

Interesting years ahead with new Asian routes to possibly Hong Kong, Beijing and India. Hopefully not just Aer Lingus doing these, it would be nice to have an extra bit of colour on the ramp !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I would have thought Bangalore more useful given the number of tech companies here with Indian outposts.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

I would have thought Bangalore
    It would all depend on the connections, 26000 people in Ireland aren't enough to justify a long haul route, therefore they need to get onward traffic to Asia. Looking at fares from London to Bangkok, AI actually show up as the cheapest but not the fastest, so it might work if they get the hub city correct.

Thats one of the reasons why I believe that Aer Lingus should never look too far east.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Noxegon wrote: »
    I would have thought Bangalore more useful given the number of tech companies here with Indian outposts.

If you did that you'd be giving up a bunch of major Chinese airports which are reachable via DEL/BOM plus the routes to Sydney and Melbourne from Delhi.

On first look from this amateur, the smartest move would be Delhi. As far as I can tell Indonesia is the only big country east of India that isn't directly connected from there.

IRLConor wrote: »
    If you did that you'd be giving up a bunch of major Chinese airports which are reachable via DEL/BOM plus the routes to Sydney and Melbourne from Delhi.

I can't see myself using Air India for a connection to Australia/Asia for as long as there's the likes of Etihad/Emirates doing one stop. What can they offer the consumer that airlines in the sandpit can't?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Noxegon wrote: »
    I can't see myself using Air India for a connection to Australia/Asia for as long as there's the likes of Etihad/Emirates doing one stop. What can they offer the consumer that airlines in the sandpit can't?

I wouldn't see myself doing it either, but if they were cheaper they may get a chunk of traffic from the more price conscious end of the market.

IRLConor wrote: »
    I wouldn't see myself doing it either, but if they were cheaper they may get a chunk of traffic from the more price conscious end of the market.

I can't imagine they'll get much. Emirates in particular tends to be very cheap for what it is – we have people going from DUB-CPT via DXB because it's the cheapest option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

Surely now as the economy picks up there's a market for some sort of direct service to Vegas from DUB

• Surely now as the economy picks up there's a market for some sort of direct service to Vegas from DUB

Probably but the issue in Ireland is we only have limited charter operations, Air Contractors and Thomson both with a single 737 each (300/800). We don't have any long haul charter airlines based here unlike the UK. Which has lots of long haul routes from regional airports.

Hopefully next years Thomson 787 flights will be a success and we see a based 787 in 2017 which might do more destinations. There has to be a market here for long haul charter flights I can't imagine there isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Surely now as the economy picks up there's a market for some sort of direct service to Vegas from DUB
    I really hope so, this is the first new long haul route I would like to see... Even From say mid March - mid September, would be fantastic, it wouldnt need to be every day, 3 or 4 times a week would be perfect!

Advertisement