Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport New Routes 2016

• 01-09-2015 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Khuitlio

Seems like it's that time of year again! Thought we could keep a list of new routes for 2016 like last year.

So far:
    Thomson : Cancún, Montego Bay
    Ryanair: Amsterdam (4x Daily)
    Ryanair: Increasd frequency on 14 existing routes
    Ryanair: Twice weekly to Vigo
    Blue Air: Twice weekly to Cluj-Napoca, Romania (CLJ)
    SunExpress Weekly to Antalya.
    EI: Dublin-Murcia 4 weekly
    EI: Dublin-Pisa 3 weekly
    EI: Dublin-Montpellier 2 weekly
    EI: DUB-EWR from Sept 2016.
    EI- DUB-BDL from Sept 2016.
    EI: DUB-LAX 5 weekly from May 2016.
    Air Canada Rouge: DUB-YVR 3 weekly
    Stobart: Dublin-Carlisle

FR have planned an announcement for Dublin Airport on Thursday (03/09/2015), they have also apparently secured slots for AMS this winter for DUB and STN. I'd love to see AMS and some more Greek and German routes launched for S16, as FR seem to be expanding there.

I think this could be the year that QR arrive, with EI joining oneworld and EY reducing to daily they might be more interested in DUB now.

Just my 2cents

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Khuitlio wrote: »
    FR have planned an announcement for Dublin Airport on Thursday (03/09/2015), they have also apparently secured slots for AMS this winter for DUB and STN.

Wow, Ryanair at AMS?? I'd never have expected that, they wouldn't let them haggle on the handling charges like they do with small airports. I'd say the flights will be more expensive than the usual Ryanair fare but it'd give some nice competition to Air Lingus.

It makes sense though, now that their Aer Lingus acquisition plans are off the cards (which would have given them some slots). Looking forward to some more competition on this route.

Edit: I just read up on this, it seems like they've been requesting slots every year and given them back later, but this time they haven't given them back. Apparently they've got 2700 flight movements for the winter season which is a lot! I hope they'll do some from Shannon/Knock too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Apparently they've got 2700 flight movements for the winter season which is a lot!

Its not. Its 8 or 9 slots a day.

If they want to try compete with Aer Lingus on DUB they need 4 or 5 daily there, ditto with Easyjet on STN. SNN/NOC would likely not be on their radar there even with no slot control as their expansion to major airports is to target competitive business traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Lockheed

3 new regional routes opening up
    Citywing : Derry-Dublin
    Stobart : Carlisle-Dublin
    Flybe: Norwich-Dublin

• Great thread idea, I was only starting to wonder about next year.

I don't think we will see Qatar in Dublin yet, with Etihad reducing slightly or tailoring as best they can capacity to demand with their few aircraft types, I can't see Qatar jumping in now for a while.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Lockheed wrote: »
    3 new regional routes opening up
    Citywing : Derry-Dublin
    Stobart : Carlisle-Dublin
    Flybe: Norwich-Dublin

Absolutely none of these are guaranteed to start - they are still applications for funding, not granted funding. This isn't like the PSO process here where *someone* will operate the route and there's a beauty contest.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Absolutely none of these are guaranteed to start - they are still applications for funding, not granted funding. This isn't like the PSO process here where *someone* will operate the route and there's a beauty contest.
    Uk Government investing 56 million £ on 15 new regional routes
    http://www.airlive.net/2015/09/news-uk-government-to-fund-15-regional.html

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Cough* possible New Canada route *cough

Uk Government investing 56 million £ on 15 new regional routes
    http://www.airlive.net/2015/09/news-uk-government-to-fund-15-regional.html

Still not confirmed. That's just rehashing a weeks old release of that routes that got to the second round.

Id be astounded if the Carlisle routes make it for starters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

With Ryanair focusing on Nordic growth now, I'm guessing a DUB-GOT flight will be likely.

N64 wrote: »
    With Ryanair focusing on Nordic growth now, I'm guessing a DUB-GOT flight will be likely.

I don't know,As far as I know Ryanair's previous Nordic flights to Dublin had low loadfactors and did not profit, they were axed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bussywussy wrote: »
    Cough* possible New Canada route *cough

Have your head what I might have also!

If anybody has a subscription to the Sunday Business Post there was an article about Cathy Pacific looking at DUB last week.

Think we may see DY to ARN at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭richiek83

Business Post had an article on Sunday stating that Dublin Airport was in preliminary discussions with Cathay Pacific on a route to Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭N64

I don't know,As far as I know Ryanair's previous Nordic flights to Dublin had low loadfactors and did not profit, they were axed

Just did a bit of searching and yeah, it appears it won't be this year at least.

https://twitter.com/Kenny_Jacobs/status/632225810024386561

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Will be interesting to see what FR come out with.
    What will be even more.interesting is what fares we will be looking at if they come out with AMS!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Tedddy

Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong is a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,097 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Tedddy wrote: »
    Cathay Pacific to Hong Kong is a possibility.

As has been said several times before you.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Wow, Ryanair at AMS?? I'd never have expected that, they wouldn't let them haggle on the handling charges like they do with small airports. I'd say the flights will be more expensive than the usual Ryanair fare but it'd give some nice competition to Air Lingus.

It makes sense though, now that their Aer Lingus acquisition plans are off the cards (which would have given them some slots). Looking forward to some more competition on this route.

Edit: I just read up on this, it seems like they've been requesting slots every year and given them back later, but this time they haven't given them back. Apparently they've got 2700 flight movements for the winter season which is a lot! I hope they'll do some from Shannon/Knock too.

When Ryanair went to Zaventem the fares were lower than Charleroi (and still are). I really hope they do fly out of AMS to DUB. Cheapest weekend Aer Lingus fares on the route have been averaging €200.

Mylow wrote: »
    When Ryanair went to Zaventem the fares were lower than Charleroi (and still are). I really hope they do fly out of AMS to DUB. Cheapest weekend Aer Lingus fares on the route have been averaging €200.

You right about BRU you can get return with EI for under 80 on weekends....

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Bussywussy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Have your head what I might have also!

I'd say so.havent heard as to where.can only assume vancouver

• Bussywussy wrote: »
    I'd say so.havent heard as to where.can only assume vancouver

Either there or the previously planned short hop across to the east coast. Vancouver opens up a short drive to Seattle as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Carnacalla wrote: »
    As has been said several times before you.
    No need for the sharp answer, we all miss posts when reading threads.
    I myself missed #13 when looking back over the thread before posting this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

Cathay direct to HK would be fantastic for going to Asia. Direct flight there, then short hop anywhere in the region. Plus the high service quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

if Ryanair make an announcement this week, when would the new services or increased frequency on existing routes, likely commence?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,541 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Winter timetables start at the end of October, and summer timetables start at the end of March, generally.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Idbatterim wrote: »
    if Ryanair make an announcement this week, when would the new services or increased frequency on existing routes, likely commence?
    Ryanair are making an announcement tomorrow at Dublin Airport.
    4-5 daily on DUB-AMS is expected, probalblt some STN-AMS as well.

it would be great if these routes commence this year, to help the airport hit 25,000,000...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

it would be great if these routes commence this year, to help the airport hit 25,000,000...

It's a rolling 12 mth period so they might help it over the mark anyway!

Make no difference a full planning process must commence first I can't see a sod been turned until middle/late 2016 at earliest.

Make no difference a full planning process must commence first I can't see a sod been turned until middle/late 2016 at earliest.
    I take it they dont have to hit 25,000,000 before they apply for PP then, they can apply for it and once it hits 25,000,000 proceed with getting the ball rolling on construction, once they have PP that they are happy with? The growth at Dublin is massive, its going to be great having it as a decent size hub in a few years, I am dying for a direct Vegas flight!

• Advertisement

I take it they dont have to hit 25,000,000 before they apply for PP then, they can apply for it and once it hits 25,000,000 proceed with getting the ball rolling on construction, once they have PP that they are happy with? The growth at Dublin is massive, its going to be great having it as a decent size hub in a few years, I am dying for a direct Vegas flight!

They can apply whenever they like for permission will likely happen in a few months however that will take time and an appeals process could even be required. Then the project will need to be tendered so a long way off construction. 25 million will likely be hit sometime next year but I expect we will be closer to 30 million before a single jet lands on the new runway.

Advertisement