Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

charged twice on my laser

Options
  • 03-01-2011 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

was in tesco last nite and was paying by laser and hit off the card so i had to enter my pin again, i though nothing of it as this happens but on my online banking account the same amount has been deducted twice what can i do about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Just go into Tesco with a print out showing that you were charged twice, and your Tesco receipt and they should refund you the money either in cash or by crediting it to your account.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Contact Tesco?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It happens all the time. Often the double charge will just disappear. If it doesn't go away you can let the bank know, and they can investigate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Op unfortunately this happened to me about a month ago. Went to tesco and did the shopping went to pay by laser but there was a problem with my card, the girl at the till tried 3 times but it wouldn't work, she then transferred the transaction to her supervisor who tried my card at another till and it still wouldn't work. I took the card and went outside to the atm and withdrew the money no problem. On our way home I said to my boyfriend I better check my account when I get in and make sure they didn't take that money from my account by laser. I don't know why this popped into my head, it just did. Lo and behold, I got home and the amount had been taken from my account but it hadn't shown up as a transaction yet if you know what I mean, i could just tell because I knew what my balance was beforehand that the money was gone. Rang my bank straight away who said there was a pending transaction on my account attributed to tesco, I asked her what I should do (as at this stage I didn't know where the responsibility lay) and she said go back to tesco and they should return your money, as it stands your money is with the merchant, it has gone from your account to the merchant to then be passed to tesco.

Went back out to tesco and explained the situation and was told it would take 8-10 working days for me to get my money back, i eventually got my money back 7 working days later.

This left me significantly out of pocket for nearly 2 weeks as we had spent a good deal on our shopping that week (doing the christmas food shopping) and I received no apology from tesco eventhough one of the employees that I spoke to about it when I first went out to the shop admitted that the problem was most likely caused by the supervisor not cancelling the laser transaction before putting through the cash transaction.

Unfortunately, you may be waiting some time for you money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

OP - go back to Tesco and show them your bank statement with the duplicate transaction. They should be able to reverse it there and then.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

OP: I think the question is: Is the charge on your receipt?

If it is then Def go back to Tesco and get them to refund it immediately as the till should have been 'out' that day.

If it's not on your receipt, I think its the banks responsibility to put the money back in your account as you didn't instruct the retailer to take it.

Op unfortunately this happened to me about a month ago. Went to tesco and did the shopping went to pay by laser but there was a problem with my card, the girl at the till tried 3 times but it wouldn't work, she then transferred the transaction to her supervisor who tried my card at another till and it still wouldn't work. I took the card and went outside to the atm and withdrew the money no problem. On our way home I said to my boyfriend I better check my account when I get in and make sure they didn't take that money from my account by laser. I don't know why this popped into my head, it just did. Lo and behold, I got home and the amount had been taken from my account but it hadn't shown up as a transaction yet if you know what I mean, i could just tell because I knew what my balance was beforehand that the money was gone. Rang my bank straight away who said there was a pending transaction on my account attributed to tesco, I asked her what I should do (as at this stage I didn't know where the responsibility lay) and she said go back to tesco and they should return your money, as it stands your money is with the merchant, it has gone from your account to the merchant to then be passed to tesco.

Went back out to tesco and explained the situation and was told it would take 8-10 working days for me to get my money back, i eventually got my money back 7 working days later.

This left me significantly out of pocket for nearly 2 weeks as we had spent a good deal on our shopping that week (doing the christmas food shopping) and I received no apology from tesco eventhough one of the employees that I spoke to about it when I first went out to the shop admitted that the problem was most likely caused by the supervisor not cancelling the laser transaction before putting through the cash transaction.

Unfortunately, you may be waiting some time for you money back.

And, unfortunately, the same thing has just happened me with Superquinn. I was in there on Christmas Eve and because I didn't use my card at all since then I've only just found out that there is money on hold to them in the same manner as what happened in Tesco. Anotehr 2 weeks before I get that back :mad:

A few years ago in a clothing shop I worked in during a sale, an assistant mistakingly accepted a laser card from a lady that turned out to be her husbands. She signed for it and the assistant accepted the sig (before widespread pin usage). The sale was for over 250 euro.

About a week later I got a phone call from our head office. The husband's bank had called the store querying the charge.

We had 12 hours to find the signed till receipt and fax it to the bank or else AIB would refund the man and the store would be down 250.

When we found the receipt we realised what happened, we faxed the receipt and the man was refunded,leaving the shop down 250 euro.

If the bank can't prove you authorised the trans I think you should get a immediate refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

call back to tesco they wil have to reverse the transaction and refund you

And, unfortunately, the same thing has just happened me with Superquinn. I was in there on Christmas Eve and because I didn't use my card at all since then I've only just found out that there is money on hold to them in the same manner as what happened in Tesco. Anotehr 2 weeks before I get that back :mad:

Fortunately the money that Superquinn took off my card was put back today so they seem more on top of things than Tesco, although it should never happen either way.

Good luck OP.

Also, I spoke to someone in AIB about this today and they said if I had the "void" receipt which should have been issued when the initial laser transaction was declined that any AIB branch could do the charge back and then take the matter up with the shop but unfortunately neither Tesco nor Superquinn issued these at the time of the transaction. Without it AIB could not help me.

• Advertisement

Separate POS terminals produce these receipts if a charge is cancelled or not authorised but integrated payment tills do not print a void unless you cancel the entire transaction and start the transaction again.

Most chains use integrated POS systems.

Something similar happened in the UK on New Years Eve and all customers have been refunded without the customer having to contact the merchandiser as it was an issue with the card services provider:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1344786/Hundreds-thousands-charged-twice-New-Years-Eve-bank-card-error.html

Hundreds of thousands of bank customers may have been double charged if they used their debit cards on New Year’s Eve.
    A major error with the Cardnet payment system affected chip and pin machines in restaurants, shops, pubs and clubs across the country.

Lloyds Banking Group, which operates the system, urged everyone who used their cards on December 31 to check their accounts, no matter who they bank with.

One shopper bought a £25 top from a Crew Clothing store in Chichester, West Sussex, using her Lloyds TSB debit card. But when her husband checked their bank balance on January 4, he spotted that the payment – with identical details and reference number – had gone through twice.

She said: ‘When I called the bank, they said it was a problem with the payment machines or systems. They seemed to think it had happened to a large number of people.

‘We are very good at checking our statements but there are people who probably wouldn’t even notice this had happened.’

The problem could not have come at a worse time. New Year’s Eve is one of the biggest events of the year when many are highly likely to be spending money in the sales or buying food and drink to entertain at home.

Lloyds Banking Group: It will consider all reasonable requests for repayment
    For many, it comes at a time when they have plunged deeply into the red as a result of over-spending at Christmas.

And any double-charging means customers will have been pushed temporarily further into debt, possibly going over their overdraft limit and into expensive, unauthorised territory.

Lloyds, which is 41 per cent owned by the taxpayer, yesterday said it had refunded all affected customers, including those who have an account with a rival bank.

A spokesman said: ‘A technical error with our merchant system on December 31 resulted in the duplication of certain payments from cardholders to some merchants.

‘Duplicated transactions have been reversed and cardholders are being reimbursed.
    ‘We would like to apologise to affected individuals for any inconvenience caused.’

Anybody who thinks they have been financially penalised as a result of the problem, such as incurring an overdraft charge, should contact Lloyds on 01268 567100.

The spokesman said: ‘We will consider all reasonable and evidenced requests for reimbursements.’

The problem does not affect withdrawals from cash machines.

Advertisement