Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parking in IT Carlow

Options
  • 04-09-2015 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what is the status with parking in IT Carlow, starting next week as a mature first year student. Do I have to apply for a parking ticket/permit and if so how much is it? How hard is it to get parking in the morning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

I dont think you need a permit as far as I know its only for the Carlow Institute of Further Education beside it you do so you shouldnt have to worry about that. For parking I know it is shocking to get in the morning best odds are going in fairly early if you have a class around 9, but for classes in the afternoon and that will be a bit easier to get parking. I just know in the mornings its terrible but if you have friends nearby they might let you park outside theirs if you need to. Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

you'd want to be in before 8-8.15 to get a shot at parking. you have to pay for a permit alright although i dont think that applies to the month of september (im not paying to have your car unclamped if that's not accurate). i think they also roam the neighbouring estates looking to clamp cars too as the residents have complained very loudly for years about students dropping their cars off everywhere and just being a nuisance

https://www.ncps.ie/ITC_student_2.html is the website to get the permit

even with the permit it's a crapshoot. it just protects you from the clamper, it doesn't guarantee you a spot. if you're driving, get in early, earlier than you think you should have to in a modern civilised society, it really is a tiny car park. there is a small car park in the town itself that's 3 euro (i think) a day, near the fire station. its only a 10-15 minute walk from there if you get stuck.

apparently there is also 3 euro per day parking in the cark park behind the irishmans pub, on the same street as the cathedral

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭J98

Just asked sister there, its 10 euro for the permit for the year. Once you start you have to go to the office to pay them the 10 and give them your license plate number.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

There should also be a way to set up your parking permit on registration day itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Thanks for that info. Just wondering how do I go about joining the gym as a student member? What times do the open in the mornings?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Just go in the Barrow centre and up the stairs to the gym reception along the left, you can register in there. Can't remember how much it is for the year, 80 euro or something like that. They'll have a timetable available, but its usually open from 8am until 10pm.

think it's 60 for the year and it's 7am to 10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Thanks. Ill get into the gym and register. Getting excited about going back to college as a mature.

yeah, looking forward to it myself. getting mildly cheesed off at the waiting, just want to get started at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Ah 8:15 would be a bit early if your there at 8:45 you'll def get a spot, 8:55 some mornings too you'd get into the overflow. Yeah gym was 60 last year, used to go to 30 at xmas but didn't last year. You can apply for the permit online you just have to email a copy of your log book or insurance cert to them, they dont usually start clamping till early oct sometime to give people a chance to set up, beware though they will clamp for bad parking and parking in non spaces, except in the overflow that's a for for all

• Advertisement
Advertisement