Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-04-2012, 09:54   #46
searay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenium View Post
Hi,

I was looking for some advice. I currently use an R7 driver (10.5). I am driving the ball pretty consistently and I am getting good yardages. Most guys I play with use 9.5 degree drivers and I usually hit it past them.

Anwyay, I have recently changed my irons to AP2's. I love them and I think they are making me a better ball striker. I want to complete the Titleist set so I am thinking about moving to a 910 D2 9.5 degree. I had planned getting fitted for it.

There is nothing wrong with my driving, I am happy with it. This is more of an indulgence than a necessity.

I have shot 80 on a number of occasions (never lower yet) and usually shoot low to mid 80s. Although sometimes that can go up over 90!!

I love the TM drivers but want to complete the set. How does the D2 910 stack up against the TM drivers? Will the lower loft give me extra yardage (not that yardage is my biggest concern). Would it take much to move from a TM R7 to at Titleist driver.

Am I risking my driving by making this change which isnt really all that necessary?
Keegan Bradley tweeted a video of his swing a couple of weeks ago which showed he uses a 10.5 degree driver and he is one of the longest hitters around. Higher loft suits some people better at achieving a good launch angle.

If you've decided you want to make a change, be it the club make, loft or shaft, it's best to have hit the clubs first, see how the ball flys and the shot feels and got some back-up info for it.

I think custom fitting is the way to go for you and there's lots of posts on boards to help you decide which fitter to go with. You might walk out thinking the driver you have is the best option for you.
Advertisement
27-04-2012, 09:57   #47
Russman

+1 to that.
The fitter will use your own driver as a base for comparison, and if it can't be bettered they'll tell you (or at least should tell you). You'll see the numbers on the screen anyway.
27-04-2012, 11:42   #48
Arsenium

Thanks for these educated replies guys. The general feeling that I got from other guys is that the lower the loft, the further the distance. But that is not what my experience is and your replies back that up.

Obviously the correct shaft is the main factor. Unfotunately my playing partners are lefties and I cannot try out their drivers to get an idea of the difference.

Your explanations have clarified things for me and I guess the correct approach is to book in for a fitting and try out the D2 and (probably) R11 (since they have dropped in price a lot with the release of the R11S). Once a fitter can give me the numbers then I can make an informed decision, rather than blowing a load of money on a driver that doesnt suit. It might look good in the bag but if the price for that is a less consistent driving game...then the price is too high :-)

Thank God for sane heads.
27-04-2012, 13:17   #49
BoardsMember

Quote:
Hi,

I was looking for some advice. I currently use an R7 driver (10.5). I am driving the ball pretty consistently and I am getting good yardages. Most guys I play with use 9.5 degree drivers and I usually hit it past them.

Anwyay, I have recently changed my irons to AP2's. I love them and I think they are making me a better ball striker. I want to complete the Titleist set so I am thinking about moving to a 910 D2 9.5 degree. I had planned getting fitted for it.

There is nothing wrong with my driving, I am happy with it. This is more of an indulgence than a necessity.

I have shot 80 on a number of occasions (never lower yet) and usually shoot low to mid 80s. Although sometimes that can go up over 90!!

I love the TM drivers but want to complete the set. How does the D2 910 stack up against the TM drivers? Will the lower loft give me extra yardage (not that yardage is my biggest concern). Would it take much to move from a TM R7 to at Titleist driver.

Am I risking my driving by making this change which isnt really all that necessary?
You're mad, in my modest opinion. What does "complete the set" mean. I could understand if you were talking about gap wedge or sand wedge etc. The TM R7 is often regarded as their best ever driver. you're hitting it well. your thinking of spending substantial anount of money replacing fantastic equipment that is working really well for you for the sake of vanity and having a pretty looking bag? Madness.
27-04-2012, 14:42   #50
Arsenium

Thanks Boardsmember. That's a reality check I've been looking for . As I mentioned in the original post, this would purely be an indulgence.
By "Complete the set" I meant to have a full set of Titleist clubs.

However, I will need to change at some point as the club is probably 4 years old at this point.

There's another question. At what point should you consider upgrading your driver, if the club is in good nick still and you are playing well with it? Surely an upgrade should be done at some point?
Advertisement
27-04-2012, 15:10   #51
Russman

Quote:
However, I will need to change at some point as the club is probably 4 years old at this point.
Why ? If its still working and isn't damaged or you haven't collapsed the face, why change ?
Of course, we all like shiny new things, but the ball doesn't know what its been hit with and if you're consistently in the fairway I wouldn't be changing.

I'd suggest getting a lend of and hitting a few more modern drivers against your own and seeing the results. I have a 7 or 8 year old Ping G2 lying around somewhere that I occassionally hit and there's no massively significant difference between it and my 910D2

Does an extra 2.4yds mean that much ?

Then again, if you just want to indulge.........fire away !

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion