Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Damaged Passport

Options
  • 05-04-2008 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Ok lads hypothetical situation here.
    Just say there was a fella who had a brother that was underage and wanted ID. The younger brother sees the older brothers passport thats out of date and thinks "I can do something with this..." Then he cuts his older brother's picture out and puts his in so the passport is now defaced. Now the older brother has to renew his passport but he can't send off his old one because of the aforementioned reason.....Where would the older brother go from here then? He doesn't want to report it lost because he will end up with a bad record and will have 1 of only 2 strikes before the right to have a passport is made doubtful.....

What should the older brother do (besides kill the younger brother)

Remember this is hypothetical this didn't happen!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Build a time-machine, go back in time and then take better care of the passport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

get plastic surgery to look like the younger brother, thus matching the picture in the butchered passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

The passport is state property and what the younger brother in this scenario has done is very much illegal. Was the passport a 10year passport or a temporary i.e have you lost previous passports? If it was a temporary one and you claim to have lost it they may look on it suspiciously however you will probably get a second chance. Reporting it lost or stolen and applying for a new one is probably the safest option as producing the tampered with passport for renewal could leave you open to legal proceedings. Look after your documents in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Report it lost, get a duplicate. Then tell the brother you can do the same to him.... (Make him do ten press ups on one arm).......... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinlessgunner

It was the three year passport you get when you're 17. Long out of date now. I just wanted to see if there was a way to get around having to report it lost...Looks like there isn't though!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It was the three year passport you get when you're 17. Long out of date now. I just wanted to see if there was a way to get around having to report it lost...Looks like there isn't though!

Just as well it's a hypothetical situation then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Mr.S wrote: »
    i have a 10year passport thats still in date untill im 23, got it when i was 13, get some dodgy looks now when i hand it up ;)

My buddy has an American passport that shows him when he was like 15, very chubby with a buzzcut, he's now very skinny with long hair and 23. The thing is in a state too but he never really gets rejected with it. I'd imagine because he doesn't look younger than 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Hypothetically get a new brother.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Lose brother, report passport lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Bury both brother and passport at the bottom of the garden

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Find a dog that likes to chew things and give the passport to it for a while.
    Perhaps they might give you a new one without using one of your strikes but i'd say its probably protocol to make a strike against any passport that has been damaged, reguardless of how the damage came about.

Actually, Ring the passport office yourself and ask them what would happen in this situation. Just don't give them any personal information and then you can decide whats best to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭nojunkmaill

How many strikes do you have?

I am sure I have lost 3 or 4 passprts in my time! I once lost 2 in 6 months!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 'you're not getting another passport' is if they have reason to suspect you're selling them... such as loosing them continually in countries with lots of people who might want to enter Ireland, or just need a passport in a different name. Realistically they don't care much about damaged or lost domestically ones.

You also don't not get any passports - you just get issued single vist travel documents. Bye bye ability to take a quick break in France, for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Ok lads hypothetical situation here.
    Just say there was a fella who had a brother that was underage and wanted ID. The younger brother sees the older brothers passport thats out of date and thinks "I can do something with this..." Then he cuts his older brother's picture out and puts his in so the passport is now defaced. Now the older brother has to renew his passport but he can't send off his old one because of the aforementioned reason.....Where would the older brother go from here then? He doesn't want to report it lost because he will end up with a bad record and will have 1 of only 2 strikes before the right to have a passport is made doubtful.....

Remember this is hypothetical this didn't happen!
    Report it as 'stolen' Wink wink...nudge nudge...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

hypotheticaly, lose brother, lose passport, only replace the passport

;)

serioulsy, if my brother did that, i'd first of all be seriously having a word in his ear, after that, just report it lost (the passport that is), then the new one, hide it from him

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

(a) Start small fire. Place passport in fire for long enough to remove evidence of tampering.
    (b) Tattoo brother's date of birth on his face.

Victor wrote: »
    (a) Start small fire. Place passport in fire for long enough to remove evidence of tampering.
    (b) Tattoo brother's date of birth on his face.

(c) Staple aforementioned passport to younger brother's head.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

a. tell the truth and get your bro put in jail
    b. tell them it was lost - no prob

If you report a lost passport - you fill out a form, get it signed by a guard and bobs your uncle.
    They will issue a new one valid for a year, after that you get another 10yr one.

Make sure you burn the old one though and give the bro a few slaps.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Nah, just root out all the embarassing pics of him at younger age, and insist on showing them to every gf / potential gf.

When he complains just say "not so funny now when someone plays around with your photographs when they should have more sense, is it?"

Lesson will sink in much deeper than a couple of slaps would ... and no aggro from the 'rents.

All hypothetically, ofc!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭cson

Take one blender, add one passport, blend for 2 minutes, tip contents into envelope, send on merry way to molesworth st :)

Take one blender, add one younger brother, blend for two minutes, tip contents.....wait a second :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I have lost 2 passports, the 2nd replacement is only valid for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I dont geddit, hypothetically, what's the problemo with getting a replacement?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I would hope that two-strikes rule is flexible. Imagine having to spend the rest of your life on this island because they won;t give you a passport:eek::eek::eek: - it's be like Mountjoy without bars...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    it's be like Mountjoy without bars...

There's a bar in mountjoy:confused:

do they serve bulmers (in pint bottles)?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,014 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

stevec wrote: »
    There's a bar in mountjoy:confused:

do they serve bulmers (in pint bottles)?:D

Plastic glasses!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check if you are entitled to a UK or other passport under a grandmother type rule.

Pass the problem over to the brother, "I don't care who you have to kill just sort it out or else" though I suspect that's what's already happened. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭sinlessgunner

I was born in England and have an English birth cert. That could be a viable option. It's good to know there isn't a stringent rule surrounding lost passports so and that I would get away with losing more than two. That was my main concern. Not that I'm planning on losing or damaging any more of them but accidents happen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

my mate's sister stole her passport a few years ago to get back at her for something. Only problem was that she hide it so well that even she couldnt find it.

Quick trip to the gardai later... "sorry, must've lost it, silly me"... and it was all sorted out quickly. Left plenty of time to go home and give the sister a right b*****king.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Throw it in the washing machine and do a bit more damage to the information page. Take it to a Garda Station and ask whether it's okay to send it with the application for the new one in that state.

Hypothetically I didn't give that advice though;)

And hypothetically, anybody in the situation mentioned should probably advise their brother to cop the fu<k on and not do something so stupid. If a trick like that is to be carried off it should be done by looking like the original photo or forgetting about the whole idea

• Advertisement
Advertisement