Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do girls think guys should buy them drinks?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Pigman II wrote: »
    They're easier to rape when drunk.

QFT.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I never expect it to be honest. If a guy does offer to buy me a drink, i'll always get him one in return. It's only fair.

Is it not really dangerous for anyone but the girl herself to handle her drink? What with the use of date-rape drugs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Fools, fools the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

MIN2511 wrote: »
    1. Men who buy drinks for ladies = medieval, just trying to get into their skirts
    2. Women who take drinks from men without returning the gesture = money hungry. He would never keep you-LEECH
    3. Men and women who take turns in buying drinks = modern world!!
    As for me if a guy wants to buy me a drink i would accept as long as i buy the next round. It's a must!:)

Pff.

Like it or not but evolution has hardwired our brains for certain traits. Most women will respond well to a man that appears to provide. Most men will feel manly by providing. Win win. Less so for the guy I suppose cos he's down cash...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

The girl the OP met must be quite brazen! It's not the way I or any of my friends behave towards men at least. On the other hand, as regards men buying women drinks, I have in the past been asked would I like a drink. Although not interested in the guy I have accepted drinks from strangers(provided i am there when they are poured) and a lot of times a guy just wants a friendly chat and is being generous rather than trying anything on. Can chat with anyone til the cows come home and ill often times reciprocate the gesture if we get along. I never look a gift horse in the mouth though and think it would be rude to refuse the offer of a free drink.. "eh no I'd rather buy my own, thanks":rolleyes:(as if).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

Alessandra wrote: »
    The girl the OP met must be quite brazen! It's not the way I or any of my friends behave towards men at least. On the other hand, as regards men buying women drinks, I have in the past been asked would I like a drink. Although not interested in the guy I have accepted drinks from strangers(provided i am there when they are poured) and a lot of times a guy just wants a friendly chat and is being generous rather than trying anything on. Can chat with anyone til the cows come home and ill often times reciprocate the gesture if we get along. I never look a gift horse in the mouth though and think it would be rude to refuse the offer of a free drink.. "eh no I'd rather buy my own, thanks":rolleyes:(as if).

Don't do that, its just leading men on! Can I buy you a drink is man code for 'nice arse/breasts, I'd love a ride'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Don't do that, its just leading men on! Can I buy you a drink is man code for 'nice arse/breasts, I'd love a ride'

I accept a drink doesn't mean I have to hop into bed with them and men know that too. Often as said they are happy with a chat and a bit of banter. No harm I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Alessandra wrote: »
    I accept a drink doesn't mean I have to hop into bed with them and men know that too. Often as said they are happy with a chat and a bit of banter. No harm I say.

So how many minutes of 'chat' does a drink buy?

Does a punter get more minutes if he buys you a bottle of champagne
    as opposed to an OJ?

You can't win with the men issues...I mean after hours crew.
    One minute we are heartless, arrogant bitches for shooting you down on sight. The next we are stringing you along by engaging in conversation.

I think that womans behavior in the OP is disgusting.
    Having said that if I a guy who was trying to chat me up, didn't offer to buy me a drink over the course of an evening. I wouldn't be interested.
    I really don't see a reason for it other than meaness, which I don't appreciate in either sex.

I would never accept a drink off someone I wasn't interested in, and I always buy one back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Moonbaby wrote: »
    One minute we are heartless, arrogant bitches for shooting you down on sight. The next we are stringing you along by engaging in conversation.

Having said that if I a guy who was trying to chat me up, didn't offer to buy me a drink over the course of an evening. I wouldn't be interested.
    I really don't see a reason for it other than meaness, which I don't appreciate in either sex.

I would never accept a drink off someone I wasn't interested in, and I always buy one back.

Based on your comments above I take it you'd have no problem if you
    were talking to a guy all night you'd have no problem in offering to buy
    him a drink first, after all anything else could be construed as 'meaness' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've no problem with a little chivalry, and buying a girl you're with a drink is fine. I've only got a problem when the guy is either buying the girl a drink to placate her or when she's only humouring him for the free drink. That's bullshit.

I've also known guys who'll spend the night chatting to a girl knowing she's no interest in them, all the while buying her drinks, in the hope that at the end of the night her standards will have dropped. What's worse is it works for them.

Moonbaby wrote: »

I said here (on boards) before I prefer being shot down immediately! No messing about talking to someone who's not interested. Its a lot worse to waste your night talking to a girl who then turns around and says shes not interested. Your attitude is the right one, only accepting a drink from a guy if you're interested AND buying one back. Class act. Well done.

Actually I wouldn't if I fancied him, it would serve as an acid test.
    If I'm socializing with some guy I don't fancy I have no problem getting something for them when I'm heading to the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

I think you're all looking into this a bit too much. My 2 cents:
    • If a woman expects a man to buy her drink in return for 'the pleasure of her company' then she's a stuck-up hoochie. Likewise, if a man buys a woman drinks all night, expecting to get into her knickers, he's an idiot.
    • If the man and woman are enjoying each others company and are sharing rounds more or less equally, that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Does a punter get more minutes if he buys you a bottle of champagne as opposed to an OJ?

A punter would get no minutes with an OJ, it makes me windy :(

Men are 87% more desperate than wimmins, therefore will outlay a lot more initially in the hope that the investment will give a fruitful return.

Wimmins know that generally they have the power. Is it whoring? Maybe.

I said here (on boards) before I prefer being shot down immediately!

I agree, as much as people complain about rude putdowns and sleazy chat up attempts.
    I like that the singles culture here is direct. Its easy to know when someone actually likes you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

biko wrote: »
    I get the funny in the generalisation there but... you do tend to have long pointy shoes. They're easy to step on unfortunately :o

It's because of our long, pointy feet. Shhh!

I'd consider a complete stranger asking me to buy them a drink in a bar rude, to be honest. Besides, I much prefer to buy the first round.

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I much prefer to buy the first round.

Great, mine's a heineken! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭gillyfromlyre

The hubby bought me a drink once, the first night we met, and that was because I ran out of cash, the tight ****e he he. But money shouldn't matter anyway once you like a guy. I get the odd can of scrumpy off him but I think thats a polite way of trying to finish me off quick so he can have some peace he he

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Great, mine's a heineken! :D

PM sent. (I hope a longneck was ok, was afraid the pint might spill.)

Place your orders!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

One reason that springs to mind is that the girls fake id has been refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Girl at bar: So are you going to buy me a drink then?

Trojan: I will, if you get the puppies out.....

Genius! It's happened to me before and now I know what to say if it happens again.

I salute you sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

connundrum wrote: »
    A punter would get no minutes with an OJ, it makes me windy :(

Men are 87% more desperate than wimmins, therefore will outlay a lot more initially in the hope that the investment will give a fruitful return.

Wimmins know that generally they have the power. Is it whoring? Maybe.

I don't know how it can't be whoring to expect money or goods in exchange for sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kelle wrote: »
    I'm talking about 12-15 years ago, actually. It happened me frequently then. I don't get to go to any bars now:(
    Muslim convert?
    Pigman II wrote: »
    They're easier to rape when drunk.
    Give them brandy, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

the_syco wrote: »
    Muslim convert?

No babysitters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

not every girl thinks a guy should buy them a drink.

a lot of men feel they they should buy a girl drink...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Most of us know all girls aren't like this but we've all met the ones that sucker you for a drink by flirting prospects of sexual encounters. Then won't speak to you after and go off tittering with their mates over how they suckered you.

You live, you learn. Besides it's my firm opionion you hook up with girls at parties usually. Bars are to intimidating imo, I don't even bother making the effort at them anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

I will be honest and say that on one ocasion in dorans a few years back, i flirted my ass of and got a guy to give me a drink, but later got him one back...

It was a dare of sorts but i couldn't leave him hanging...

words of wisdom from my mother, told me never to take a drink with out returning it, not all men but some will expect to get something back from getting you a drink...(usually sex)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Was out at the weekend and a girl starts trying to talk to me at the bar, and after about 3 sentences says 'so are you gonna buy me a drink now'. I said aomething to the effect of you think I should buy you a drink just because you said to?

This isn't the first time this has happened either. Why do women think blokes should fork out for the pleasure of their company after a few seconds of conversation??

Just buy her the drink, man.

Then after about three sentences say "so are you going to sleep with me now?".

Worst case, she might be so insulted she won't be as quick to bum drinks in future.
    Best case: dear diary, jackpot!

Advertisement