Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coin Dealers in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Razspur

30 Million 1968 Irish Pennies were released prior to decimalisation, Dealers, Hoarders and just about anyone bought a couple of bags in the false hope of making a good profit in a few years, i have 2 bags so has my brother. I have tried for years to sell them en masse and in small bundles, have sold 2 lots of 50 for £5each but have managed to sell about 30 seperately as "Luck Pennies" at £3:99 mostly to people born in 1968. If you do find an outlet please let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Thanks for the replies.

Maybe if I sit on them until 2068.... :)

I had a computer prog run and found out that there`s a 1 in 82 chance of the next person passing a market stall being 43 years old. Working this through if you have 1200 coins dated 1968= 82 x 1200 = 98,400 so i reckon if you set up a stall selling your "Luck Pennies" at 4€ each, by the time 100,000 people have passed and you`ve sold well, you will have earned 4,800€.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Razspur wrote: »
    I had a computer prog run and found out that there`s a 1 in 82 chance of the next person passing a market stall being 43 years old. Working this through if you have 1200 coins dated 1968= 82 x 1200 = 98,400 so i reckon if you set up a stall selling your "Luck Pennies" at 4€ each, by the time 100,000 people have passed and you`ve sold well, you will have earned 4,800€.

That's a great idea. I'll give you 20% commission to man the stall?? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Radar74

can anyone tell me where to get pre 1964 u.s. coins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Hey all,

Are Roman coins easily available for purchase anywhere? There must be so many extant that they can't all be in museums, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

ionapaul wrote: »
    Hey all,

Are Roman coins easily available for purchase anywhere? There must be so many extant that they can't all be in museums, etc...

Yes - Roman coins are easily available - many dealers list on vcoins.com or ma-shops.com or deamoneta.com. There's also eBay, of course - there are many reliable dealers there, as well as some scammers.

In particular, the later bronze coins are very common and can be cheap. Coins in good condition of the earlier, more (in)famous emperors will cost more. Then there's the earlier Roman Republic, the many Provincial issues, not to mention Greek coins. Ancient coins are a huge collecting area and there is a large trade in them - shops, auctions, etc.

ATB,
    A.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭howlingcat

Hi I have a few coins, soverigns and half ones, I am looking to collect some more, its more of a hobby but I have always had a keen interest in them, would anyone reccomend where I could buy some more outside of Ireland and also does anyone reccomend a good book on what the prices should be for coins, thanks lads great thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rainbowseller

Hi all, I've had a look through the thread and a lot of advice directs towards online resources. I'd really like to find somebody I could go to in person to get a fair valuation of some coins I have. My grandmother had a small collection that seems to have been a variety of Irish & English decimal and pre-decimal. There are also Irish coins prior to the change over to Euro including a millenium coin. I really don't know what they're worth and I just don't want to have the wool pulled over my eyes and I'm selling as really need the funds and these had sentimental value. Does anybody know of somebody honest I could go to around the Meath/Dublin areas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Hi all, I've had a look through the thread and a lot of advice directs towards online resources. I'd really like to find somebody I could go to in person to get a fair valuation of some coins I have. My grandmother had a small collection that seems to have been a variety of Irish & English decimal and pre-decimal. There are also Irish coins prior to the change over to Euro including a millenium coin. I really don't know what they're worth and I just don't want to have the wool pulled over my eyes and I'm selling as really need the funds and these had sentimental value. Does anybody know of somebody honest I could go to around the Meath/Dublin areas?

Better off posting some pics here - there's several people who can put you on the right track. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Judgement Day. My camera is pretty awful and I can't get clear enough pictures. To give an idea:
    Half Penny, Victoria Date 1875 right up to Half Penny, 1967. There's King George ones in there too.
    One Penny, 1875 to 1919.
    One Shilling, 1954 to 1966.
    Isle of Mann 5 pence from 1976

Pingin, 1928 to 1968
    Half Pingin, 1943 to 1966
    Reul 1968
    Leat Reuls

Various Irish coins pre changeover to Euro, including an older style bigger 5p
    Millennium £1
    1988 50p with Dublin 1000year stamp

There's some foreign coinage too but this seems to be more modern.

Possibility of anything in all this lot? Thanks a million for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Rainbowseller - I'm only a casual coin collector myself but I don't think there's anything of value there. There are very few valuable coins out there and old does not equal valuable and mass produced items like the Millennium 1 pound even less so. Try checking out this eBay link and you should get some ideas.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Coins-/58520/i.html?_nkw=irish+coins&_catref=1&_sc=1&_sop=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m1538 :)

Thanks again for your help. I appreciate you giving me your opinion and the link. From the link it looks like most of what I have I'd be lucky to get €1 each. Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sofakingood

I have a 2002 Italian 2euro coin which is not bi-metallic. It is all silver.

Would anybody have an idea how much it is worth?

I checked on the internet and the only other mention of a non bi-metallic 2 euro was an Austrian version and the website said it was a rare coin.

Any reply would be appreciated

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

You need to make sure it's not been silver plated, a Jeweler could test it for you, also ask them to give you an accurate weight and compare it to the real ones. If it's a genuine mint error it'll be worth a few bob alright but hard to put an accurate valuation on it. It could also be a fake coin.
    I have a 2002 Italian 2euro coin which is not bi-metallic. It is all silver.

Would anybody have an idea how much it is worth?

I checked on the internet and the only other mention of a non bi-metallic 2 euro was an Austrian version and the website said it was a rare coin.

Any reply would be appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wombat10

Hi I have the an Irish 2 Euro 2002 not bi metallic coin also, have found a site that might interest you in relation too your own Austrian one, can find nothing out about my own but was offered 800 euro by some guy in France which I did not take as think it is worth a lot more as seems very rare

http://www.attilacoins.com/errors_Austrian_mint_2.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 31 sofakingood

wombat10 wrote: »
    Hi I have the an Irish 2 Euro 2002 not bi metallic coin also, have found a site that might interest you in relation too your own Austrian one, can find nothing out about my own but was offered 800 euro by some guy in France which I did not take as think it is worth a lot more as seems very rare

http://www.attilacoins.com/errors_Austrian_mint_2.asp

Many thanks for your reply. Yes they do seem to be quite real. Have you had your coin authenticated? If so how?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Anybody know what's this is worth or where I would sell it
    A 1959 veinte pesos coin - weights about 16 grams , I presume it's fine gold?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

blingrhino wrote: »
    Anybody know what's this is worth or where I would sell it
    A 1959 veinte pesos coin - weights about 16 grams , I presume it's fine gold?

it should weigh 15 grams, can you find out the exact weight of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭blingrhino

My Gammy scales say 15.3 g !!
    Looked up somewhere and it says only 13000 ever made - does that sound right ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wombat10

I did find a site that showed some of the 2002 euros for sale, they varied from 600 to 2'000 euro, majority were German and a few very rare ones, no other Irish ones apart from the one I have, I dont know where you take it to get it verified as no one seems to know what they really are

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

blingrhino wrote: »
    My Gammy scales say 15.3 g !!
    Looked up somewhere and it says only 13000 ever made - does that sound right ?

yeah there was only 13,000 minted in 1959 but they were minted the same coins all through the 1960s with the same date 1959 so it has very little collectors value, but going by the gold in it its worth betwenn €550 and €600 depending on the day and gold is a bit swingy at the moment but its swinging more down than up

that it weights 15.3g doesnt sound right, your scales might be out so you should get it checked

• Registered Users Posts: 4 brian20

believe it or not i have 2 10p coins and i know where 19 of the 21 unaccounted 20p coins are and they will probably be going to auction soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Philomena1

Hi, I have a Krugerrand 1980 coin, that I got as a wedding present that I wish to sell, anyone have any idea where I should go??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Philomena1 wrote: »
    Hi, I have a Krugerrand 1980 coin, that I got as a wedding present that I wish to sell, anyone have any idea where I should go??

Try www.adverts.ie, ebay, or the coin fair in Dublin.

Hi Philomena, your Krugerrand is currently the best type of investment, being 22carat Gold and weighing 1 Troy Ounce, that's 33.93grams @ 91.67% gold.
    You should be able to get €1100 – €1130 from a decent local dealer or keep it for the RDS coin fair later in the year. I buy a few each year but in £ Sterling and the exchange rate would nullify any small profit I could make on the deal.
    Good luck if you sell but my advise is keep it if you can, Gold will rise to $2000 an ounce before the World Economies start to seriously grow again.

Philomena if you contact John at <snip - removed by moderator>
    I have negotiated a special one off price valuation for you, just say you were in contact with Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Razspur wrote: »
    Philomena if you contact John at <snip - removed by moderator>
    I have negotiated a special one off price valuation for you, just say you were in contact with Ray.

Please take this to PM. I am not happy with displaying the website, address and phonenumber here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Siskods9

Hello all,

I would like to ask for some advice regarding possible value of two coins in particular.

1931 (Very Fine) old Irish shilling

1978 (Uncirculated condition) "Cupro-Nickle" old Irish Two Pence piece (this seems to have been some type of anomaly at the mint)

I know very little about coins and am trying to help my Dad with this inquiry, if anyone knows where I can take them, dealers in Dublin etc or any info from resident experts here on the forum would be most welcome.

Thanks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Siskods9

Anyone???

Advertisement