Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LEAVING CERT SUBJECTS HELP!?!!?!

Options
  • 22-08-2015 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm startng my L.C course this year and I was wondering about my choice of subjects. I picked German, Geography, History and Art as they're my best subjects, but then a friend told me that I wouldn't get accepted into any colleges/universities after my L.C as I didn't pick a Science based subject, is this true? I'm looking to study Geography, History or European Studies in Trinity or UCD so does it affect me if I dont pick a Science subject? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭aquse

See if your courses have a 3rd language requirement or any other subject requirements. Usually though, only science-based courses have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

None of those courses require a science subject. Only those that require scientific knowledge really include LC sciences in their matriculation requirements, like Science, Engineering, Physiotherapy, Radiography, Pharmacy, Medicine etc. You'll get into History and Geography in Trinity with Maths, English and another language (or Latin on its own, if you happen to be doing that). All of the NUI Colleges want three languages (i.e. English, Irish and another one).

European studies is as follows:
    Applicants must present with at least one European language (other than English and Irish) in the Leaving Certificate (or equivalent).

If candidates are presenting one language (other than English or Irish), they must attain a grade of HB3 or higher

If candidates are presenting two or more languages, they must attain at least the following grades:

HC in two of French, German, Greek, Italian, Latin, Polish, Russian, Spanish
    HC1 If presenting French or German
    HC2 If presenting Spanish and taking Spanish as a non-beginner
    HC3 If presenting any other language

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

cxllxm wrote: »
    I'm startng my L.C course this year and I was wondering about my choice of subjects. I picked German, Geography, History and Art as they're my best subjects, but then a friend told me that I wouldn't get accepted into any colleges/universities after my L.C as I didn't pick a Science based subject, is this true? I'm looking to study Geography, History or European Studies in Trinity or UCD so does it affect me if I dont pick a Science subject? Thanks.

Hi, I'm going into 6th year this year. I really didn't want to do a science subject but was recommended by teachers to do one just in case as a lot of university do require it, and even if they don't state it in previous requirements she said it can be added on. I picked biology- I hate it. I'm hoping to secure a pass grade just to pass it but not to worried about it. There is a lot of learning involved in science subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Hi, I'm going into 6th year this year. I really didn't want to do a science subject but was recommended by teachers to do one just in case as a lot of university do require it, and even if they don't state it in previous requirements she said it can be added on. I picked biology- I hate it. I'm hoping to secure a pass grade just to pass it but not to worried about it. There is a lot of learning involved in science subjects.

They usually require it for entry to a science degree, not for entry to the college in general. A lot of schools recommend students keep on a science subject 'to keep their options open'. To be honest I don't fully agree with this and I'm a science teacher. If you dislike science and have absolutely no interest in pursuing any course that may involve science in the future then I think it's perfectly fine to drop science at leaving cert level, if you have checked out the requirements for any areas of interest that you have.

It's highly unlikely that a university are just going to include a science requirement for no real reason. E.g. if you plan on doing a business degree next year then there will be no need for a science requirement for entry to the course. There never has been and colleges are not going to add it to the list of requirments to do Marketing, Accounting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

Well I wish I was told do that as I kept on biology and hate it and am failing it currently

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tiischy

Qualifax has a page in the 'Useful Tools' section which allows you to put in a subject and see what colleges/courses specifically require that particular subject for entry. Might be useful to keep an eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

You only need science subjects for science based college courses (this includes engineering/medicine and other applied sciences). If you didn't choose to do a science subject for your Leaving Cert I very much doubt you'd choose to do one for your college course. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Most people choose a science and a business subject so that their subjects remain broad so they can apply to many different courses. This is really just for people who aren't sure what area they'd like to go into in college.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

make sure you keep your options open just in case you change your mind. i did spanish, french, biology and chemistry and wanted to go into science but completely changed my mind and now have to repeat as i want to do business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 tiischy

make sure you keep your options open just in case you change your mind. i did spanish, french, biology and chemistry and wanted to go into science but completely changed my mind and now have to repeat as i want to do business.

Can I ask why? Almost none of the business/commerce courses require LC business for entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

Check all the courses that interest you, if they don't require a science subject (most engineering, science/healthcare courses do) you don't need to take up a science subject.

• Advertisement
Advertisement