Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert subject help?

• 23-07-2013 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hey :) so i'm going into 6th year in september and I'm only doing 6 subjects because I was born in France and I managed to get an exemption from Irish. However only doing 6 subjects is kinda scaring me and I'm wondering if there are any subjects that I could do outside of school? I've tried to do business but missing out on all of 5th year has made me realize that I can't do this as all the chapters link with each other.
    However I was thinking of maybe doing Spanish? As i'm French I can sometimes understand spanish due to them being similar and my french teacher also teaches Spanish outside of school.
    In my summer exams i managed to get 3 A1s, 2 B2s and a C1. I know the actual exam wont be as easy but i'm just wondering maybe if i would be better off just focusing on my 6 subjects as I dont think i'm doing too bad?
    Its just in case one of my exams goes horribly wrong on the day and I do really badly that I've become really stressed over this!
    I want to do music in college so I wouldnt need more than 500 points anyway.
    Im just not quite sure what to do and any advice is appreciated! thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I wouldn't entirely recommend that you do Spanish, you've got seven or eight months to achieve a somewhat good level of Spanish due to the Leaving Cert orals and don't forget in that time you've got the mocks as well and it'll be very hard for you to put the majority of your focus on Spanish in that time. I think it's difficult to do a language in such a short time, as learning a language is a very gradual thing.

If you intend to do Ordinary Level, it may be doable as gathering the basics of Spanish isn't too hard if you're good at French. But I don't know if it's that 'easy' so that it gets you an A in Ordinary Level, which is probably the mark you'd want to make it somewhat worthwhile. I may have underestimated you're ability for Spanish, but don't overestimate yourself either!

I can't really tell you if you should go for an extra subject to do in less than a year, since I haven't done it myself. I feel like I can do it but I know that everything kind of gets hectic during the Leaving. Now if you're not really weak in one subject I'd say you could get by doing just the six subjects. But, it is "just" six subjects and it is nice to have a backup I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

Hi i did 6 subjects myself this year when i repeated the leaving and the difference it made was huge, i had so much more time to spend on my 6 subjects without another subject i would be doing just for a 'backup'. Honestly if you are aiming for those points ,nothing will go 'horribly wrong' ,you will be fine with 6! in my view you are trying to find another 'backup' subject just to have one and you will just be wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Glastonbury

Hi Is it possible to do Biology ( Leaving Cert ) outside school as extra subject. What can you do about doing the experiments ? Is it a case that they have to be done in school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Hi Is it possible to do Biology ( Leaving Cert ) outside school as extra subject. What can you do about doing the experiments ? Is it a case that they have to be done in school ?

Yep, it certainly is possible to do Biology as an extra subject outside of school. If you're heading into 5th year, you've tonnes of time, and do not let that time go to waste. However if you're in 6th year, you've got to get started studying as quick as possible, and to be honest getting a good grade in Higher Level will be very hard.

The experiments aren't 'mandatory' per se, that is, an inspector doesn't check that you've done them and an experiment copy doesn't count towards any final marks. However, they do constitute a large part of the exam (around 20-30% I think?) so it's important to know them thoroughly, and often physically doing them helps. However, you should be well able to study them without doing actually doing them.

This thread should help you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I wonder if you can still do Home Economics (Social & Scientific) in the LC on your own,I think it's an easy Honour -Esp for people doing biology and / or business subjects (twas 'bizzz-org in my day)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

zef wrote: »
    I wonder if you can still do Home Economics (Social & Scientific) in the LC on your own,I think it's an easy Honour -Esp for people doing biology and / or business subjects (twas 'bizzz-org in my day)

Home Economics has changed, there's now a project to be completed, submitted in early sixth year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dylagore1

Thanks for the replies! I'm strongly thinking now that I probably would be better off just doing 6 because I get on well with everything.
    That doubt however is still there and will probably stay there no matter what.
    Thinking rationally, if I put in effort to only 6 subjects there's a very slight chance I would mess up on the day.

dylagore1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! I'm strongly thinking now that I probably would be better off just doing 6 because I get on well with everything.
    That doubt however is still there and will probably stay there no matter what.
    Thinking rationally, if I put in effort to only 6 subjects there's a very slight chance I would mess up on the day.

You are right , if you are putting the work into those 6 subjects ,it really is a very slight chance , you are not going to suddenly mess up one subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dylagore1

I just thought about maybe seeing how Religion is for leaving cert. I'm assuming it wouldnt be too difficult. Does anybody know anything about this subject? Is there a lot of notes!

dylagore1 wrote: »
    I just thought about maybe seeing how Religion is for leaving cert. I'm assuming it wouldnt be too difficult. Does anybody know anything about this subject? Is there a lot of notes!

It is mainly essay based , my friends did religion and they struggled with timing as you have little time for the number of essays but otherwise they enjoyed it and if you have an interest it should not be too difficult to do well in!

• Advertisement
Advertisement