Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renewing Driving Licence while out of the country

• 19-07-2008 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Anyone know how to renew a license if your out of the country? Mine expires next year but I'll be in Australia. I wont be able to drive over there if my license is expired. I cant renew until 3 months before it expires which is not until July 09.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Probably best if you talk to your local council - its the motor tax office that issues licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Prepare everything before you go away so that you can Post from Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

You can just do it by post. You can download the forms online etc....

Just get friends or family here to post it to you out in Oz. Course, I'm sure if you just go into them with all forms filled now, they'll give you a new one no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Just wondering ,if you lost your current licence would they just issue a new one for the remainder or could you get a 10 year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

dsane1 wrote: »
    Just wondering ,if you lost your current licence would they just issue a new one for the remainder or could you get a 10 year ?
    I wondered that too ... if they'll issue a replacement that's valid for 10 years then I'd just conveniently 'lose' it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Replacements last to the date of the licence they're replacing - or at least mine does.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

swop it for an Oz one? and then you swop it for an irish one on return.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moonbeam wrote: »
    swop it for an Oz one? and then you swop it for an irish one on return.

This would work if Australia let you exchange - I'm not sure it is mutual but we do definately let Aussie licences swap here.

Problem then could be getting penalty points (or are they called demerit points? something like that) in Australia.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is.

It was even a case at one stage that they didn't quite understand our provisional licence system so a 3rd prov could get you a full licence that you could exchange on return to Ireland:)

Advertisement