Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

front side wall has dropped

• 17-06-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all. I bought a 2003 eldis oddyssey and was in great condition. However the front left side has come away from the wall and droped an inch leaving a gap. The plan is to jack it up and attempt to put some screws in. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before and can advise. Many thanks. Andy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Hi all. I bought a 2003 eldis oddyssey and was in great condition. However the front left side has come away from the wall and droped an inch leaving a gap. The plan is to jack it up and attempt to put some screws in. Just wondering if anyone has come across this before and can advise. Many thanks. Andy

Can you get your money back, a 2003 'van shouldn't be falling apart :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Sounds like a symptom of a much larger issue probably due to water ingress. The water ingress warranty is only 5 years and only if you have it inspected annually.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Dropping sides presumably means the lower supporting area/chassis has a problem leading to this, so that needs to be assessed first. The real question is where will you be putting screws into, and what. Screws into the top after jacking up
    means basically hanging the side from the top, and that wont work. Proper support needs to start from the bottom up.

2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Mister mister

kadman wrote: »
    Dropping sides presumably means the lower supporting area/chassis has a problem leading to this, so that needs to be assessed first. The real question is where will you be putting screws into, and what. Screws into the top after jacking up
    means basically hanging the side from the top, and that wont work. Proper support needs to start from the bottom up.

2 cents.

Looks like you have a good argument, I looked at the chassis and found a crack on the back chassis, it is also not in line with the junction at the wheel. More than a few screws to fix this I guess.

Looks like you have a good argument, I looked at the chassis and found a crack on the back chassis, it is also not in line with the junction at the wheel. More than a few screws to fix this I guess.

Well done on pinning down the problem area good and quick.

And of course unless you have the necessary skills, and equipment to do this job, its best left to the professionals. A diy welder chappie from donedeal iis not an option here of course.

Plenty of professionals out there that will give you a good job, and peace of mind into the bargain.

Bit of a young camper to be having broken chassis issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Did you buy it from a dealer or private sale, can you go back to them?

Did you buy it from a dealer or private sale, can you go back to them?

Yes I just bought it at christmas, been out with it twice only.
    I sent the dealer some pics and spoke with him, so far he has told me that I must have hit a bump, which I haven't, so am now waiting for a response.

kadman wrote: »
    Well done on pinning down the problem area good and quick.

And of course unless you have the necessary skills, and equipment to do this job, its best left to the professionals. A diy welder chappie from donedeal iis not an option here of course.

Plenty of professionals out there that will give you a good job, and peace of mind into the bargain.

Bit of a young camper to be having broken chassis issues
    Yes it is young for this to happen, as I said before the caravan is immaculate.
    Had a guy look at it today and has confirmed that it is the chassis so am now looking for a rear chassis, or if not a welding job. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Yes I just bought it at christmas, been out with it twice only.
    I sent the dealer some pics and spoke with him, so far he has told me that I must have hit a bump, which I haven't, so am now waiting for a response.

It would take some bump,I would be all over him like a rash

Yes it is young for this to happen, as I said before the caravan is immaculate.
    Had a guy look at it today and has confirmed that it is the chassis so am now looking for a rear chassis, or if not a welding job. Thanks for the tip.

I agree with other sentiments here, I,d be seriously into contacting the dealer about this.

How long have you owned it, Was it doe,d when you got it....so many questions on this one.

I reckon your camper had to go airborne for this to happen on the landing, and you would have broken most everything else before the chassis.

Camper chassis dont normally go pop as young as this. Vintage ones do due to old age and fatigue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement