Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Public transport too expensive

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Morgans

fh041205 wrote: »
    You'd be better off with ryanair if you're going to cork, you could save a bundle. Out of interest where were you going from. 75e each on the train is extorsion.

Not sure what the fare was exactly, girlfriend was doing the enquiries, we were travelling to cork (kent station?) from Dublin Hueston before moving on to the celebrations.

Just checked on irish rail.ie. Trial booking from Dublin Hueston to Cork at 8pm tonight - one way seemingly = €79.50.

Reasonable??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Morgans wrote: »
    Not sure what the fare was exactly, girlfriend was doing the enquiries, we were travelling to cork (kent station?) from Dublin Hueston before moving on to the celebrations.

Just checked on irish rail.ie. Trial booking from Dublin Hueston to Cork at 8pm tonight - one way seemingly = €79.50.

Reasonable??

You clicked the price for First Class, Morgan; Standard Class one way is €33 online; €64.50 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Hmmmm..As of yesterday (Thanks to Minister Dempsey and the unaccountable Dublin Airport Authority.....Nothin I can do Boss,they`re private now)....One way from Birmingham International to Holyhead = £36.60. Stg.

If myopic politicians could only be forced to accept it,the best possible way of addressing our current carbon and social difficulties is by providing LOTS of sheap efficient comfortable PUBLIC Transport !!

Will we do that......Will we Fluich !!! :mad:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My only comment is this: it's about €2 from Connolly to Leixlip, but it's about €5 from Kilcock to Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Morgans

Hamndegger wrote: »
    You clicked the price for First Class, Morgan; Standard Class one way is €33 online; €64.50 return.

Thanks Ham'nd'egger. Never had to book online before, and lucky I didnt have to do now..:o €64 euro. Fair enough. Premium instead of Standard Seats. I see what I did. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 FocusIreland

rail is good when u r living beside the station.but rural people have not choice. wherever we go we have to drive 1st. a guy i know he s paying more than 1K euro a year for just park his car outside the train station. and how many people dont have to change when they arrived in dublin? no matter change bus or luas, still extra cost. very few lucky people can take the bus or rail as a nearly door to door service. mostly have to walk or travel again. a lot of people use the public service just to beat the traffic jam,but it really cost at least double time if u live in rural area.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Then those people need to reconsider the journeys that they are making.

People living in rural areas also need to look at their contribution to their problems - people are living down boreens and killing villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Spot on Victor. The "I'll live where I damn well choose - what right do planners have to stop me?" followed by "waaah why aren't there world class services at my one-off house's doorstep" mentality of so many people is quite something.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭techdiver

rail is good when u r living beside the station.but rural people have not choice. wherever we go we have to drive 1st. a guy i know he s paying more than 1K euro a year for just park his car outside the train station. and how many people dont have to change when they arrived in dublin? no matter change bus or luas, still extra cost. very few lucky people can take the bus or rail as a nearly door to door service. mostly have to walk or travel again. a lot of people use the public service just to beat the traffic jam,but it really cost at least double time if u live in rural area.

This is about to get worse too:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0717/rail.html

How can the government be serious about promoting the use of public transport when they keep doing this??

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

I had to pay for my 3 year old yesterday on the bus?i always thought under 5's were free but seems dublin bus have changed this to under 3's,which is a disgrace imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

the_syco wrote: »
    My only comment is this: it's about €2 from Connolly to Leixlip, but it's about €5 from Kilcock to Maynooth.

But doesnt it just come to econimcs for that?

What percentage of people travel from between Dublin and Leixlip compared to Maynooth to Kilcock?

Whats the fair from Conolly to Kilcock?

techdiver wrote: »
    This is about to get worse too:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0717/rail.html

How can the government be serious about promoting the use of public transport when they keep doing this??

Free parking is habitually abused (a) by people who live within easy walking distance of the station and are able bodied (b) by people not taking the train at all.

It is like the clamping in Dublin city centre that is constantly moaned about. If parking was not abused habitually, enforcement would not be needed. In the case of DCC, they actually make a slight loss on the parking, after paying enforcement costs, but this is regarded as worth it as spaces are available for shoppers etc. not occupied by day-long parking which they want to discourage.

I heard on Newstalk that IE will get about 1/3 of the revenue from this, which they say will all be invested in improving parking facilities. I think this is only fair, and rail users who do not use parking should not be subsidising it - even in the property market we have now, land is not exactly cheap, staff to deter the abuse of parking facilities are not cheap. IE have plenty of other things to be spending money on which will benefit all passengers, parking benefits only some.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

ninja900 wrote: »
    Free parking is habitually abused (a) by people who live within easy walking distance of the station and are able bodied (b) by people not taking the train at all.

Letting people use their validated train tickets to exit the car park would stop non-commuters using the parking spaces.

They could implement a situation whereby your travel ticket would validate your parking upon exiting the car park. My only annoyance is that we are trying to get cars off the road during peak commuter times, which I desperately want to see and measures like this are not going to help at all.

Less cars on the road would be a good thing as buses etc would be afforded an opportunity to run on time, thus improving the service and making it more attractive to leave the car at home or use a park and ride facility.

I just think:

1). More needs to be done to encourage the use of public transport.
    2). People who drive their cars are punished for bringing them into the city centre, i.e. Congestion Charges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

I find the luas quite cheap. I take the green line the whole way 5 days a week and it costs 15.50.Not too bad! That's only if you buy the ticket in a a shop though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Public transport is always quite cheap for commuters, it's people who only use it occasionally who pay the full fare. I have a montly bus + luas ticket on taxsaver so it costs me about €1.80 a day for all the buses and trams I can eat.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

markpb wrote: »
    Public transport is always quite cheap for commuters, it's people who only use it occasionally who pay the full fare. I have a montly bus + luas ticket on taxsaver so it costs me about €1.80 a day for all the buses and trams I can eat.

I've the same for bus and rail. Its a great ticket. If you use public trasnport on a regualr basis its the only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

kearnsr wrote: »
    But doesnt it just come to econimcs for that?

What percentage of people travel from between Dublin and Leixlip compared to Maynooth to Kilcock?

Whats the fair from Conolly to Kilcock?

Kilcock is outside the dublin fare grid and therefore you cannoy avail of cheap dublin fares when travelling there.

techdiver wrote: »
    They could implement a situation whereby your travel ticket would validate your parking upon exiting the car park.

But that still means IE are spending money on parking facilities which only a minority of passengers use, money which could be used to help improve the train service for all passengers. It also means that the 5 mins walk away brigade have nothing stopping them from taking up all the car park spaces out of laziness.

Life ain't always empty.

But that still means IE are spending money on parking facilities which only a minority of passengers use, money which could be used to help improve the train service for all passengers. It also means that the 5 mins walk away brigade have nothing stopping them from taking up all the car park spaces out of laziness.

I do understand what you are saying, I do not use a car to get to and from work at all either. But my point is, that I want to see less cars being used to clog city centre traffic every morning thus making busses run late and slow. If we are to get people out of their cars and on to public transport we need to give them an incentive to do so.

The ideal end game would be no cars in the city centres at all!

• Advertisement
Advertisement