Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Rail penalising people who can't buy tickets online

Options
  • 19-07-2008 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Last week I was making my own way back from a friend's wedding down in Dingle, having decided to get a lift down there with friends rather than drive down myself.

I got the bus to Tralee train station and I was absolutely astounded when the ticket machine quoted 63 euro for a SINGLE ticket to Dublin Heuston (only 2 euro more and I could get a return :rolleyes: )!!

Luckily I remembered I had checked out the price online and it was 33 euro, and I managed to get a friend to buy the ticket online using my credit card number. I then walked down the platform to the ticket office and collected my online booking ticket, thus saving 30 euro.

How can Irish Rail get away with this? It seems completely unfair to penalise people who are unable to buy a ticket online!

And don't get me started on the cost of a full price ticket - it wouldn't have cost me much more in petrol to have driven there and back. Where is the incentive to use public transport in this country??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

That is crazy, but irish rail are crazy :)

For example, wexford v dublin match tomorrow, special train from wexford to dublin, the train from dublin to wexford leaves at ten to 6, witht the match starting at 4, there is no way people will make the train, making the other service at half 6 jam packed, which imo is just crazy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It's the same with Aer Lingus, the same with Ryanair, it's far cheaper to sell the tickets online and plan capacities when tickets are booked online, those who purchase tickets the old style way cause additional expenses for companies and deserve to be ripped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

eth0_ wrote: »
    Last week I was making my own way back from a friend's wedding down in Dingle, having decided to get a lift down there with friends rather than drive down myself.

I got the bus to Tralee train station and I was absolutely astounded when the ticket machine quoted 63 euro for a SINGLE ticket to Dublin Heuston (only 2 euro more and I could get a return :rolleyes: )!!

Luckily I remembered I had checked out the price online and it was 33 euro, and I managed to get a friend to buy the ticket online using my credit card number. I then walked down the platform to the ticket office and collected my online booking ticket, thus saving 30 euro.

How can Irish Rail get away with this? It seems completely unfair to penalise people who are unable to buy a ticket online!

And don't get me started on the cost of a full price ticket - it wouldn't have cost me much more in petrol to have driven there and back. Where is the incentive to use public transport in this country??

Online prices are discounted, what you pay at the counter/machines is the regular fare. I am sure you would pay a lot more walking up to Farranfore than walking up to a train station.

timmywex wrote: »

For example, wexford v dublin match tomorrow, special train from wexford to dublin, the train from dublin to wexford leaves at ten to 6, witht the match starting at 4, there is no way people will make the train, making the other service at half 6 jam packed, which imo is just crazy!!

Croke Park is about 15 minutes walk away from Connolly; the train leaves about half an hour after the end of match. Should be plenty of time if you don't dawdle out in fairness :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Has anyone ever got an answer from Irish rail while the return prices are so close to the single fares? Is it just a trick of maximising profits cause i would love to hear the justification for €63 for a single trip.

Irish rail always tend to do this, trying going to cork, the stadium is a good walk from the train, often running to make it back in time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Croke Park is about 15 minutes walk away from Connolly; the train leaves about half an hour after the end of match. Should be plenty of time if you don't dawdle out in fairness :)

The docklands line runs under Croke Park - if this was any other country there would be a train station right there for specials.

Or failiing that I don't know why they can't run specials to/from Drumcondra.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    It's the same with Aer Lingus, the same with Ryanair, it's far cheaper to sell the tickets online and plan capacities when tickets are booked online, those who purchase tickets the old style way cause additional expenses for companies and deserve to be ripped off.

I disagree. It's a TRAIN. It runs to the same time table, day in and day out. It costs Irish Rail the same amount to run no matter how many people are on it.

I can't imagine how it's cheaper for them to sell online when they have to pay a credit card processing fee, have software that can transmit that ticket to the station it needs to be collected from, and have a ticket seller there all day.

And I would also love to know their justification for charging just 2 euro more for a return ticket.

I disagree. It's a TRAIN. It runs to the same time table, day in and day out. It costs Irish Rail the same amount to run no matter how many people are on it.

I can't imagine how it's cheaper for them to sell online when they have to pay a credit card processing fee, have software that can transmit that ticket to the station it needs to be collected from, and have a ticket seller there all day.

And I would also love to know their justification for charging just 2 euro more for a return ticket.

Cash handling fees, risk of robbery or cash being lost, staff wages to man offices shortening queues etc would balance out the lost % on a credit card movement; I am sure the added convenience of online purchases encourages sales in the same way as any online shop would. Online sales has the added advantage in being able to correctly know the patterns of travelled journeys and ticket purchases far quicker and more accurately than ticket checker having to reconcile passenger numbers with ticket offices.

On the pricing scheme, I understand much of it is to do with typical trips being assumed to be return journeys (Which in fairness, they are) and long term reluctance by Ministerial sides and DoT officials to restructure fare schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Its about selling seats on part-empty, off-peak trains to customers they would never have otherwise. They will always have enough customers for peak trains, as it is crowding is alientating some of their customer base at peak time. this allows them to carry more customers and get more income.

These tickets are less valuable than a walk on ticket as these tickets are licked to a specific departure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Hamndegger wrote: »

what happens if wexford win :eek: ,surely they'll want to see their captain and team lift the trophy. in that scenario the first train will go down completely empty.

and i forgot to add in the by now traditional 15 minute delay in throw-in when the dubs are in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

lord lucan wrote: »
    what happens if wexford win :eek: ,surely they'll want to see their captain and team lift the trophy. in that scenario the first train will go down completely empty.

and i forgot to add in the by now traditional 15 minute delay in throw-in when the dubs are in action.

4-4.40 First half including stoppage time

4.40-5 Half time

5-5.40 Second half including stoppage time and then with croker near capacity, its going to be slow to empty, and if wexford win no one is on that train! And that timetable isnt that optimistic or pesimistic...the train just wont be full! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Victor wrote: »
    These tickets are less valuable than a walk on ticket as these tickets are licked to a specific departure.
    They are valid for the whole day not just the time on the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

is there some routes that you cant buy on line for, ie sligo/connolly, when i try on the irish rail website, states reservations cant be made for this combination, even though i dont want a reserved seat, just a ticket for the journey

seems people are being penalised for living in, or wanting to visit a particlar part of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

davton wrote: »
    They are valid for the whole day not just the time on the ticket

That would be the tickets you buy at the station. To avail of the cheaper online fares, you have to choose which train you're going to get in advance. They sometimes have an option of "ticket only" but you don't get discounts on those.

Stark wrote: »
    That would be the tickets you buy at the station. To avail of the cheaper online fares, you have to choose which train you're going to get in advance. They sometimes have an option of "ticket only" but you don't get discounts on those.

I was referring to the online ones. They will still let you on a later or earlier train just wont have your reserved seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

still twice the price isn't justified

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

still twice the price isn't justified

Would you rather there were no reductions at all? Let everyone pay the same price whether they book online or at the booking office??? Personally I think the idea of having reduced fares at off peak times is great, IR actually making some sense for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

4-4.40 First half including stoppage time

4.40-5 Half time

5-5.40 Second half including stoppage time and then with croker near capacity, its going to be slow to empty, and if wexford win no one is on that train! And that timetable isnt that optimistic or pesimistic...the train just wont be full! :rolleyes:

i reckon the first train was packed:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Their line is that the single ticket is the normal fare - the return is sold heavily discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I believe this "heavily discounted" line is just spin to increase the single fare. There is no way people would agree with having the starting point for a return to Kerry as €130 on old, slow trains. I would rather have fares set based on cost and not be told anything is discounted. I reckon if that happened the single fare would have to drop. The notion of them discounting 90 odd % off the return portion is nonsense anyway. Who discounts such a percentage off any service?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

I believe this "heavily discounted" line is just spin to increase the single fare. There is no way people would agree with having the starting point for a return to Kerry as €130 on old, slow trains. I would rather have fares set based on cost and not be told anything is discounted. I reckon if that happened the single fare would have to drop. The notion of them discounting 90 odd % off the return portion is nonsense anyway. Who discounts such a percentage off any service?

At the moment on the Drogheda/Dundalk/Longford lines the day return is cheaper than the single. Confuses people even more.

irish-stew wrote: »
    is there some routes that you cant buy on line for, ie sligo/connolly, when i try on the irish rail website, states reservations cant be made for this combination, even though i dont want a reserved seat, just a ticket for the journey
    The two sales is only for certain times on certain routes, between certain stations.

Separately, I'm not sure if you can reserve Sligo line trains at all.
    seems people are being penalised for living in, or wanting to visit a particlar part of the country
    Hows your victim complex today? Sligo has a Saver Return available that other routes don't.

http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fare_calc.php?station_from=SLIGO&station_to=CNLLY&stage1=Submit+Query

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Damn . I tried ringing Amazon but they won't sell books to me in person - have to buy online;.

IE are pricks really - why should they charge just 2 euro more for a return fare ?

They are the same as any other rail company in the world - singles work out at more than 1/2 the price of returns generally.

In real life it's often cheaper to buy a bundle than buying individually - a few years ago we made a massive "saving" on a fully stacked Cisco Catalyst by buying in bulk...it may not be that buying in bulk is intrinsically cheaper but more a case that individual parts have a massive profit loading....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Terrontress

Of course there are economies of scale in the sale of tickets. Only one use of staff time, one credit card processing fee etc. But it shouldn't amount to 90%. is it that Irish rail is using the cost of a single to subvent the cost of a return?

Think of someone who gets a train to Cork from Dublin at the weekend but can get a lift back to Dublin. Both encouraged behaviour, public transport and car share. He is raped over the fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I think that this is a disgrace, it discriminates against the travelling community who are computer illiterate. These of all people are entitled to travel as it is a part of their nature. If they could use cheaper rail travel perhaps it could discourage them from using their big jeeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I think that this is a disgrace, it discriminates against the travelling community who are computer illiterate. These of all people are entitled to travel as it is a part of their nature. If they could use cheaper rail travel perhaps it could discourage them from using their big jeeps.

I'm sure the travelling community are able to find an internet cafe or even one of the Eircom phone/internet boxes in all train stations to book tickets.

And before you say that they can't get credit cards, laser/debit cards and 3v are acceptable too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

markpb wrote: »
    I'm sure the travelling community are able to find an internet cafe or even one of the Eircom phone/internet boxes in all train stations to book tickets.

And before you say that they can't get credit cards, laser/debit cards and 3v are acceptable too.
    A traveler with a Credit card .........:pac::pac::pac: ROFL

I would rather have fares set based on cost and not be told anything is discounted.
    For fares to be based on cost, they would probably have to double across the board (seeing as the company gets a large subvention). That would reduce passenger numbers.

Demand management (low fares off peak, high fares at peak) is perfectly justifiable in providing the best service for the entire community.

Run_to_da_hills, bigotry isn't welcome here. Banned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement