Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you like your steak ?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Medium rare and there is no blood, they get rid of that when they slaughter it. technically a rib roast but you get the idea

1497578_10152205453003474_989737601_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭drdidlittle

finix wrote: »
    I am afraid to ask but here goes...What is Blue ? ?

Its where you show the stake to the pan and then put it on the plate

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 325 ✭✭finix

Rew wrote: »
    Medium rare and there is no blood, they get rid of that when they slaughter it. technically a rib roast but you get the idea

1497578_10152205453003474_989737601_n.jpg
    Lovely cut of meat, How long will you cook that for ?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Medium rare, still nice and juicy but hot the whole way through. I hate lukewarm food.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

Medium well :)

• Advertisement

Lovely cut of meat, How long will you cook that for ?

That was Christmas dinner it was in the oven about 8 hours

That was Christmas dinner it was in the oven about 8 hours
    That's not cooked ! You posted the wrong pic or forgot to switch the oven on. It's the red switch on the wall

That's not cooked ! You posted the wrong pic !

Nope this was the before :D

1511417_10152205453773474_1499360719_n.jpg

This was before carving:

555349_10152205453668474_616781926_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Oh my god I feel so hungry. Medium rare for me.

*checks watch. Damn it fx buckleys is closed.

Soooo huungry

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

My foolpoof method for medium rare steak (more rare>medium). Very hot pan. Rub sirloin with garlic clove and tiny bit of oil. Set timer. 2 mins each side without moving. Put on serving plate. Cover loosely with tin foil for 10 minutes.
    Enjoy with a glass of red.
    Perfection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Medium for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I like mine medium.

Nope this was the before :D

1511417_10152205453773474_1499360719_n.jpg

This was before carving:

555349_10152205453668474_616781926_n.jpg
    Looks ok so far, show me a pic of it cut ! What temp was your oven ? Even Hell does not cook you for 8 hours no matter what you did on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Looks ok so far, show me a pic of it cut ! What temp was your oven ? Even Hell does not cook you for 8 hours no matter what you did on Earth.

Hate to break it to you, but have a look at the original pic (post 34) again: it's cooked!

60 Degrees, you saw the pic of it cut above already. There was no "blood" either BTW, because it was slow cooked and properly rested the water wasnt squeezed out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭kub

I like mine actually cooked just like any other meat that I eat.

My wife has a theory that because it takes so long to fully cook steaks that the restaurant trade made eating raw steak trendy.

kub wrote: »
    I like mine actually cooked just like any other meat that I eat.

My wife has a theory that because it takes so long to fully cook steaks that the restaurant trade made eating raw steak trendy.
    Sign in Eddie Rockets...''Eat and get out'' Maybe your wife is right

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Rare! Unfortunately, most of the time I ask for rare, it arrives either medium or well done. Grrr! What would they do to it if I asked for well done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Gimme all of the blood.....om nom nom nom.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Medium rare at most, very happy with rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

dee_mc wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you, but have a look at the original pic (post 34) again: it's cooked!

At the risk of sounding like a complete dumdum..... Why is it still pink even after being cooked for 8 hours?

I like mine pink :D, order medium in a restaurant but I always prefer the way I do it myself

My OH used to like his extra well done (thats what he would ask for) I've managed to get him down to medium well, he can't believe he enjoyed it the other way now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,174 ✭✭✭dee_mc

gg2 wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like a complete dumdum..... Why is it still pink even after being cooked for 8 hours?

I like mine pink :D, order medium in a restaurant but I always prefer the way I do it myself

My OH used to like his extra well done (thats what he would ask for) I've managed to get him down to medium well, he can't believe he enjoyed it the other way now!!

Not my pic but it's still pink after 8 hours because it was cooked at a very low temp (I think he said 60 degrees) having been sealed on all sides in a very hot pan

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Rew - that is a savage looking joint! LIKE!!!

tHB

@Rew - that is a savage looking joint! LIKE!!!

tHB

Cheers, its a Heston Blumenthal recipe. I did it for a Heston style dinner then again for Christmas dinner.

There was a fair bit left over so I cut it in half and seared it as steaks the Stephens's night :D

What is the problem? Tbh, I use my MIL's recipe when cooking roast beef & it allows for the beef to be slow roasted for 7-8 hours if needed. It ends up tender as bejaysus, but not pink in the middle. 'Well done' would not describe it either. 'Dee-bleedin'-licious' would be the best way to describe it.

Cheers, its a Heston Blumenthal recipe. I did it for a Heston style dinner then again for Christmas dinner.

There was a fair bit left over so I cut it in half and seared it as steaks the Stephens's night :D
    Respect!

Respect!

The desert for the Heston night had to be cooked in the oven for about 12 hours, bloody ESB bill was creased that month!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,173 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Not the biggest steak fan, but the last piece I had was on a ranch in rural Arizona in December and was it was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭nompere

I am watching Mary Berry cooking steak on BBC2 and she only cooked them for less than 2 minutes on each side. She then cut one in half and proclaimed ''Perfect'' It was red raw in the middle ! ! Why bother cooking them ? Just eat it raw ! I could not eat a steak unless medium at a minimum.
    Am I missing something ? How do you like your steak ?:confused:

That's not actually what happened. After the couple of minutes each side in a very hot pan, the steaks were put to one side, and later given 6 minutes in a 200 degree oven. Then she cut them and they were pink. Raw steak tends to be a purple colour inside (hence "bleu", which is how I like it) - hers looked very much medium rare.

Advertisement