Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it safe to use slug pellets and weed killer in garden with rabbits

Options
  • 05-08-2011 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

Hi im fixing up my garden and need to use slug pellets to save my plants from the slugs that are eating them and use weed killer to get rid of all the weeds in my flower beds.

Im woried that if my rabbits get in to the flower beds and eat any weeds with the killer on them or if they eat the pellets that it might harm them. Is it safe to use them with rabbits in the rarden they are in there hutch run or the house most of the time and when they are runing free in the garden i do be watching them but i would still be woried.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hi im fixing up my garden and need to use slug pellets to save my plants from the slugs that are eating them and use weed killer to get rid of all the weeds in my flower beds.

Im woried that if my rabbits get in to the flower beds and eat any weeds with the killer on them or if they eat the pellets that it might harm them. Is it safe to use them with rabbits in the rarden they are in there hutch run or the house most of the time and when they are runing free in the garden i do be watching them but i would still be woried.

In a word, no. These are poisons and unecessary.

The rule of thumb is; would you eat the flowers etc?

This is part of your care of your rabbits, and also of wild life like birds.

Slugs can be controlled in many ways; we use old cat food tins with diluted fruit juice; no need for beer etc
    They crawl in and cannot get out so they drown.

Not as cruel as the slug pellets by any means.

. And they will also gathe rat daybreak and evening under eg bits of wood and plastci and can be gathered; we drop them then into salt water.

Weedkiller? Why? Easy to pull weeds. Maybe look up eg roundup on wikipaedia. And using chemicals is a shoirt term solution as it does not kill seeds in the soil. We have started an organic garden here and know we will be pulling weeds for a few years until all the seeds have sprouted and been dealt with. Never a chemical here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

No it's not safe at all to use pesticides or chemicals around rabbits.
    Maybe try slug traps or beer traps for the slugs, placing sharp gravel around areas puts slugs off. Aparently spraying WD40 on plant pots puts slugs off climbing them but vasaline can work as well best to avoid WD40 or anything strong like that.

If you Google you will find recipes for safer weed killers but they can involve lots of salt. I wouldn't even use the 'pet safe' weed killers around rabbits.

You could also wire off the flower beds, cilldara.ie have plant protectors now or you could put little fences up around the beds ..mind you rabbits can jump them so wiring it off could work better.

Advertisement