Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SoulCalibur V discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Hard luck dude. When is the next one?
    I logged on to the stream, but I was too late, you'd played already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Hard luck dude. When is the next one?
    I logged on to the stream, but I was too late, you'd played already.

I will post on the thread when the next match is happening! I should have posted the link to the stream earlier on but forgot. :) I have the matches saved anyway!

Ok, just played second match against Italy. I won 3 - 0! Sorry but I forgot to post the link to the stream again :/ The guy was using Patroklos. I have one more match to play I think but won't be until next week.

Nice work!

Here is the link if anyone wants to see the match. It starts at 47:00.

http://www.twitch.tv/enkindu/b/327167929

Enjoy.

• Advertisement

Good fights to watch. Loved the first Ivy costume

Da Bounca wrote: »
    Good fights to watch. Loved the first Ivy costume

Was that the Irish flag colours? If so, yeah it's my favourite one. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

That gave me a chuckle too :)

GL Witch!

Next match will be on stream soon. Just go to 8wayrun.com and the link should be to the right of the page. :D

I lost 3 - 0 to Grunt Dude so I'm now out of the tourney. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Tournament for the Soul Calibur players: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056720874

Question though:

(1) Can SCV be fully patched up to date on Xbox, for free?

(2) Will this work offline at the tournament?

(3) If (1) and (2) are yes, would someone be willing to loan me a copy of the game so I can get my Xbox patched up in time?
    If so please PM me, I could easily collect/return it at any two casuals of your choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Tournament for the Soul Calibur players: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056720874

Question though:

(1) Can SCV be fully patched up to date on Xbox, for free?

(2) Will this work offline at the tournament?

(3) If (1) and (2) are yes, would someone be willing to loan me a copy of the game so I can get my Xbox patched up in time?
    If so please PM me, I could easily collect/return it at any two casuals of your choosing.

All you need to do is play SCV while signed into Xbox Live and online - Free or Gold doesn't matter. You'll be forced to download an update in order to continue to the game.

At that point, you'll be able to retain the updates on the hard drive and play the patched game offline. So long as you don't clear your cache before the tourney (this wipes patches and requires redownload), you'll be fine.

If one of the house consoles is a Slim, and I can make it to the tourney, I'll bring my hard drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80272632&postcount=62

Any SCV players willing to take a console in? How many people in this community use the unlockable characters? What's the deal with patches etc.?

Because the Exchange's internet doesn't work really well, I think this problem was encountered at the last DoC SCV was at, we had to play on a pre-patched version.

Fergus_ wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80272632&postcount=62

Any SCV players willing to take a console in? How many people in this community use the unlockable characters? What's the deal with patches etc.?

Because the Exchange's internet doesn't work really well, I think this problem was encountered at the last DoC SCV was at, we had to play on a pre-patched version.

I'll bring my usb with my profile so I'll have all the characters etc.

TheWitch06 wrote: »
    I'll bring my usb with my profile so I'll have all the characters etc.

Doesn't that need an internet connection to work though? I'm not 100% if we can get the consoles hooked up to the net in the Exchange.

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Doesn't that need an internet connection to work though? I'm not 100% if we can get the consoles hooked up to the net in the Exchange.

I can test at home and take the internet connection out of my xbox. I'm sure it does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I can test at home and take the internet connection out of my xbox. I'm sure it does work.

I'm pretty sure the way Xbox profile protection works is:

If it was downloaded on that Xbox originally, it will work offline.

If it was NOT downloaded on that Xbox originally, it needs the internet to verify the profile is genuine before it lets you access the profile data.

I'm fairly certain you taking your profile to someone else's offline Xbox won't work; which is why I was asking for people to volunteer discs for patching other consoles.

Soulcalibur's been pretty dead lately. The fact that we just can't get the numbers to justify tournaments isn't helping. That online qualifier for the Euro tournament was pretty decent though.

Would anyone be up for a big online sesh one day soon? Get a bunch of lads into a lobby or the coliseum and have a few casuals?

To any who are interested, SCV has been given an official side-tournament at EVO. A surprisingly high number of top players are attending, and it will be streamed separately from the official EVO stream on Saturday.
    http://8wayrun.com/threads/jul-12-2013-evolution-2013-side-tournament-las-vegas-nv.16313/

• Advertisement

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jul/18/soul-calibur-lost-swords-trademarked-namco-bandai/
    It has been reported by Gematsu that Namco-Bandai have trademarked the title "Soul Calibur: Lost Swords". While details are scarce at the moment, it should be noted that Namco-Bandai are set to host a panel at San Diego Comic-Con this Friday, where hopefully more details regarding the game will surface.

The latest foray into the Soul Calibur series was last year's Soul Calibur V, released in January 2012, which has seen moderate tournament play since then. While the title was said to be aimed at more competitive fighting players, a lot of people voiced concerns about the game feeling rushed, with the roster being cut down and the single-player mode feeling lackluster compared to earlier entries in the series.

Could this be Namco-Bandai's response to fan opinion? Or will it be more of the same, since the game did well in sales?

Is it a new game, an expansion to SCV, or a handheld port/flimsy spinoff?

The name 'Lost Swords' makes me think they might have actually found a use for all of the unused story content that they didn't have time to put into SCV.

With any luck we'll find out this weekend.

ALSO: Here's the Top 8 stream archive from the SCV EVO 2013 side-tournament (individual matches have also been uploaded to the same channel):

Part 1

Part 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'd love to see the SCV that was meant to be and not the botched rushjob we got, but it'll probably be some utter cack like a F2P rehash like they did with Tekken.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jul/18/soul-calibur-lost-swords-trademarked-namco-bandai/

Is it a new game, an expansion to SCV, or a handheld port/flimsy spinoff?

The name 'Lost Swords' makes me think they might have actually found a use for all of the unused story content that they didn't have time to put into SCV.

With any luck we'll find out this weekend.

ALSO: Here's the Top 8 stream archive from the SCV EVO 2013 side-tournament (individual matches have also been uploaded to the same channel):

Part 1

Part 2

Any Ivy or Hilde players? :)

Any Ivy or Hilde players? :)

Not in the top 8 apparently, though I'm sure there are a few in the pools. I did hear of Oofmatic 3-0'ing someone with Raphael, which I have to see!

UPDATE:

http://8wayrun.com/threads/lost-swords.16490/

It's apparently confirmed that we'll be hearing more tomorrow at SDCC!
    The trademark document is also shown in that thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Had great craic at the EVO all nighter with Soul Calibur V.

Me and BSG went back to his and reacquainted ourselves with the finer points of the game, I hope next time I'm up I'll be able to have some serious matches.
    I could just about use Ivy and Asteroth, but I've since looked back into my 3rd character Leixia (and got Ivy's Calamity Symphony a bit more reliable)

It was a real pleasure to have some SCV players up at XGC, as that simply doesn't happen. Pity we don't play the same console, or I'd definitely hit you up online. GGs lads!

Shoutouts to super whiff punishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

There's a post on this page of the thread about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

Yeah but no one's really talking about it :(

Advertisement