Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First edition O.S. 6/25 inch to the mile maps available for download out of copyrigh?

• 03-04-2011 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

I'm trying to research the early 19th century maps of Ireland. The Ordnance Survey did a 6 inch to the mile and then 25 inch to the mile map of the whole country. Those maps are long out of copyright (being 150 to 100 years old!). I'm trying to find (preferably) digital copies of these original maps. But I haven't had much luck.

Some places that have griffith valuation maps (e.g. irish origins) have copies of the griffith valuation maps, but they are in black & white and hard to read. Other places with griffith valuation maps (e.g. askaboutireland/OSi) have colour maps that are much easier to read some parts, however they don't allow downloading of scans, and since they rectified them, they can claim copyright.

Pasthomes.com has copies of these maps (that they got from trinity), but they claim copyright on them (since they rectified them). Trinity charge €50,000 for a copy of the scans.

Some libraries have the copies on microfiche, and i'm following that up, but it's been fruitless so far.

So does anyone know of any where I can get scans of the maps (either 6 inch, 25 inch, or griffith valuation) that are out of copyright?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

ceret wrote: »
    I'm trying to research the early 19th century maps of Ireland. The Ordnance Survey did a 6 inch to the mile and then 25 inch to the mile map of the whole country. Those maps are long out of copyright (being 150 to 100 years old!). I'm trying to find (preferably) digital copies of these original maps. But I haven't had much luck.

So does anyone know of any where I can get scans of the maps (either 6 inch, 25 inch, or griffith valuation) that are out of copyright?

You probably know but they are on the OSI site to view. To get a print and presumably a digital copy you will have to pay. I would be interested if you find a source for a digital version.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ceret

You probably know but they are on the OSI site to view. To get a print and presumably a digital copy you will have to pay. I would be interested if you find a source for a digital version.

The problem with OSi ones is not the pay, but the copyright. Since they have stitched up the images, rectified them, etc., they have created a new copyrightable work. They have then claimed copyright on them (public data, ha!), so you can't copy/distribute /those copies/ for another 70ish years.

The original books are out of copyright. Taking a straight scan and doing no other work, does not create a new creative work, and so is not eligible for copyright, and so should still be in the public domain.

I'm not against paying for this (if someone reading this has public domain scans of the maps, I'll pay for em), but €50k is too much for me, alas.

Advertisement